• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Ann_T

Ann_T

Where there's a will there's a way.......

1922401328_RalphsCrustyGermanRollsJanuary10th2022.thumb.jpg.ffc2d2f7236be3bae1e9f7596c8065a7.jpg

2087969119_RalphsCrustyGermanRollsJanuary10th20221.thumb.jpg.00fa5d352992e45d27df10a7cc6f0169.jpg

I have a facebook friend, Ralph Nieboer, an amazing baker  to thank for sharing his "Do Nothing Method" for baking bread.

I'm somewhat out of commission at the moment when it comes to baking bread. Not able to do all the stretch and folds.
But I'm missing making bread. And more importantly Moe is missing my bread.
After reading Ralph's recipe, I realized that it is basically the same recipe I use for my baguettes.
I often start a batch at night with just two grams of yeast and leave if for a slow rise overnight.
But I always use the stretch fold and autolyze method.
I never would have thought to just mix the ingredients together and "do nothing", just leave for a longer room temperature fermentation.
Late yesterday afternoon around 5PM I mixed up a batch of dough and left it until after 8 this morning. (15 hours).
I shaped 12 rolls and started them off in the CSO on the Bread Steam setting and then transferred to my main oven to finish. Really happy with how they turned out.
Next batch will be baguettes using this method.
Ann_T

Ann_T

1922401328_RalphsCrustyGermanRollsJanuary10th2022.thumb.jpg.ffc2d2f7236be3bae1e9f7596c8065a7.jpg
Where there's a will there's a way.......
2087969119_RalphsCrustyGermanRollsJanuary10th20221.thumb.jpg.00fa5d352992e45d27df10a7cc6f0169.jpg

I have a facebook friend, Ralph Nieboer, an amazing baker  to thank for sharing his "Do Nothing Method" for baking bread.

I'm somewhat out of commission at the moment when it comes to baking bread. Not able to do all the stretch and folds.
But I'm missing making bread. And more importantly Moe is missing my bread.
After reading Ralph's recipe, I realized that it is basically the same recipe I use for my baguettes.
I often start a batch at night with just two grams of yeast and leave if for a slow rise overnight.
But I always use the stretch fold and autolyze method.
I never would have thought to just mix the ingredients together and "do nothing", just leave for a longer room temperature fermentation.
Late yesterday afternoon around 5PM I mixed up a batch of dough and left it until after 8 this morning. (15 hours).
I shaped 12 rolls and started them off in the CSO on the Bread Steam setting and then transferred to my main oven to finish. Really happy with how they turned out.
Next batch will be baguettes using this method.