• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

paul o' vendange

paul o' vendange

9 hours ago, Ann_T said:

@paul o' vendangeThe overnight rise was just a bulk rise.   It was straight up discard and tiny bit of yeast. Enough for a slow overnight rise.  Didn't bother to make a biga or preferment.      It was ready to shape and proof around  4:00 AM this morning. 

I've been doing this a lot lately.  I'm usually up between 2 and 3 am  so if the dough is ready to go around that time or shortly after  I can bake even on days that I work because I don't leave the house until sometime after 9:00.

And I have been baking in my new oven, which means I can bake three or four loaves at a time unlike the smaller,  one at a time, in the CSO.  

Awesome!   My post got zapped but suffice it to say you inspired me to dig up an old “baguette de tradition” recipe, wish I could remember where I got it but it’s been many years. Straight dough, 3 hours bulk, proof, bake.  

20 g w/w flour

20 g dark rye flour

360 g bread flour

275 g ice water (I don’t know why.  I used room temp.  Maybe because it was originally machine mixed?  No idea.  I slapped and folded).

200 g 100% hydration levain (I think the recipe calls for discard, but in this case I used peak levain)

¼ tsp instant yeast

Autolyse 30 minutes. Add 9 grams salt and mix through.

Stretch and fold 2 hours, total of 3 hours bulk or until double.

1 hour before baking, 500F; drop to 460F; 20 minute bake.

Thanks for the idea.  Nice to have a couple loaves ready for dinner.  Would love to have your oven size.  My little things don’t do the form proud.  My son is pretty keyed to build a mud oven out back this spring, so fingers crossed.

paul o' vendange

paul o' vendange

9 hours ago, Ann_T said:

@paul o' vendangeThe overnight rise was just a bulk rise.   It was straight up discard and tiny bit of yeast. Enough for a slow overnight rise.  Didn't bother to make a biga or preferment.      It was ready to shape and proof around  4:00 AM this morning. 

I've been doing this a lot lately.  I'm usually up between 2 and 3 am  so if the dough is ready to go around that time or shortly after  I can bake even on days that I work because I don't leave the house until sometime after 9:00.

And I have been baking in my new oven, which means I can bake three or four loaves at a time unlike the smaller,  one at a time, in the CSO.  

Awesome.  My post got zapped but suffice it to say you inspired me to dig up an old “baguette de tradition” recipe, wish I could remember where I got it but it’s been many years. Straight dough, 3 hours bulk, proof, bake.