• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Ann_T

Ann_T

26 minutes ago, paul o' vendange said:

Gorgeous Ann.  Overnight - do you mean the remainder of your bulk, or you proofed overnight?  I ask, because my enemy is over proofing - even at room temp and with no humidity, I’m in the oven by about 1 1/2 hrs.

Truly beautiful.  Any polish or bif a process, or straight ferment?

@paul o' vendangeThe overnight rise was just a bulk rise.   It was straight up discard and tiny bit of yeast. Enough for a slow overnight rise.  Didn't bother to make a biga or preferment.      It was ready to shape and proof around  4:00 AM this morning. 

I've been doing this a lot lately.  I'm usually up between 2 and 3 am  so if the dough is ready to go around that time or shortly after  I can bake even on days that I work because I don't leave the house until sometime after 9:00.

And I have been baking in my new oven, which means I can bake three or four loaves at a time unlike the smaller,  one at a time, in the CSO.  

Ann_T

Ann_T

25 minutes ago, paul o' vendange said:

Gorgeous Ann.  Overnight - do you mean the remainder of your bulk, or you proofed overnight?  I ask, because my enemy is over proofing - even at room temp and with no humidity, I’m in the oven by about 1 1/2 hrs.

@paul o' vendangeThe overnight rise was just a bulk rise.   It was straight up discard and tiny bit of yeast. Enough for a slow overnight rise.  Didn't bother to make a biga or preferment.      It was ready to shape and proof around  4:00 AM this morning. 

I've been doing this a lot lately.  I'm usually up between 2 and 3 am  so if the dough is ready to go around that time or shortly after  I can bake even on days that I work because I don't leave the house until sometime after 9:00.

And I have been baking in my new oven, which means I can bake three or four loaves at a time unlike the smaller one at a time in the CSO.  

Ann_T

Ann_T

19 minutes ago, paul o' vendange said: