• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

paul o' vendange

paul o' vendange

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Beautiful rye loaf. Those were my old flour proportions but the use of pickle liquid! Where did that come? Your innovation or?

Ditto on all counts.  Was just going to ask as well - what a cool technique and the first I’ve come across it, using the pickling liquid to retard amylases. (!)

An Algerian baker friend of mine vastly prefers rye to wheat, whereas I’m the opposite - mostly because I just don’t have a feel for working within the biochemical constraints of the grain.  My wife is Estonian, rye is their flesh, and it would be awesome to learn more of this. 

paul o' vendange

paul o' vendange

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Beautiful rye loaf. Those were my old flour proportions but the use of pickle liquid! Where did that come? Your innovation or?

Ditto on all counts.  Was just going to ask as well - what a cool technique and the first I’ve come across it, using the pickling liquid to retard amylases. (!)