• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Ann_T

Ann_T

@Smithy, I'm not an expert.  I just like baking bread.   

I know that you  need to make sure that the gluten is well developed.

I just do the stretch and fold method and I often do it over a 2 to 3 hour period with longer autolzye rests. 

I like to look for bubble development under the skin.    

Almost all of the loaves are started in the CSO on the bread setting so that it gets well steamed during the first 10 minutes. 

Larger rounds are baked in a Dutch Oven in place of steaming. 

If I want a darker crust, I just bake it longer.  But that doesn't make the crust thicker just darker. 

I also think that the flour used makes a big difference.

Ann_T

Ann_T

@Smithy, I'm not an expert.  I just like baking bread.   

I know that you  need to make sure that the gluten is well developed.

I just do the stretch and fold method and I often do it over a 2 to 3 hour period with longer autolzye rests. 

I like to look for bubble development under the skin.    

Almost all of the loaves are started in the CSO on the bread setting so that it gets well steamed during the first 10 minutes. 

Larger rounds are baked in a Dutch Oven in place of steaming. 

If I want a darker crust, I just bake it longer.  But that doesn't make the crust thicker just darker. 

I also think that the flour used makes a big difference.