• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Franci

Franci

On 6/5/2020 at 5:59 PM, Franci said:

@weinoo, so here it is the recipe

Pizza in teglia alla romana. 

440g all purpose flour, use any you have available, don’t use something too rich in protein, unless you plan to keep the dough multiple days in the fridge. 
329 g water cold
12 g salt 
8 g extra virgin olive oil 
3 g instant yeast (I use SAF)

Add all the flour and the water in the mixer. Start the mixer, using the flat beater,  and mix on low until all flour is wet. No dry flour at the bottom. 

Take the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate half an hour to 1 ½ hours. 

Start again the mixer on low and let it go for 2 minutes. Add the yeast and increase the speed of one more level and let it go for other 2 minutes. Increase the speed one more time and let it go other 2 minutes. Add the salt, and increase the speed and let it go again other 2 minutes, adding slowly the oil at the end. I am attaching a photo of how the dough looked when done. 

Transfer to the counter, let it sit for a couple minutes and “close” the dough by hand. I do some slap and folds and make a round  boule. The technique in Italian to create tension in a round dough is called pirlatura, in Spanish is called bolear el pan, in English, I don’t know (is there a name for it?).  Put in a lightly oil container, let it sit 30 minutes to one hour (depending on how hot it is) and then transfer to the fridge. You can take it out the same day 3-4 hours before baking or the day after, still taking it out 3-4 hours before baking.  When it’s out I portion it and give 2 sets of folds. For this quantity I use 650g of the teglia (I use a perforated half sheet pan) and I have a little dough left (120-130g) that I keep for a mini pizza the day after. For the folds, I use the technique of this guy: start watching at 16:47. I do 2 sets of these folds about 15 minutes apart before putting in a container with the cover oiled, just as he does. Let it rise at room temperature. After about 2 1/2 hours, I start preheating the oven 550F with stone function in my oven. At about 3 hours or depending on the rising, I spread in the tray, I use this technique. Note: the size of the container she uses to rise the dough is important. And also the flour she uses in the tray is durum (some people mix also durum and rice flour), I found that I bought Bob’s red Mill 100% stone Ground whole wheat organic flour (it was the only flour left at the moment and I don’t like it for baking except in very small quantity but perfect for dusting! Doesn’t burn much). I spray oil on the pizza in the pan (I have a chocolate gun) and bake at the very bottom of the oven 8 minutes total at 550F when is “bianca”, no tomato, no other stuff, just oil. I turn the tray at 4 minutes. Never open before because it’s when you get all the bubbles. 

D271FD1A-D2EC-46EE-B833-445A0F88CF4D.jpeg

@ElsieD, same recipe as here. I think I am getting better with handling the dough and spreading it. Edit to add: I am keeping it for multiple days in the fridge, with whichever flour I have in the house. I use the same dough for bread or pizza napoletana (which I am cooking with the mix method of pan and broiler), I love how easy is this dough to make. 

Franci

Franci

On 6/5/2020 at 5:59 PM, Franci said:

@weinoo, so here it is the recipe

Pizza in teglia alla romana. 

440g all purpose flour, use any you have available, don’t use something too rich in protein, unless you plan to keep the dough multiple days in the fridge. 
329 g water cold
12 g salt 
8 g extra virgin olive oil 
3 g instant yeast (I use SAF)

Add all the flour and the water in the mixer. Start the mixer, using the flat beater,  and mix on low until all flour is wet. No dry flour at the bottom. 

Take the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate half an hour to 1 ½ hours. 

Start again the mixer on low and let it go for 2 minutes. Add the yeast and increase the speed of one more level and let it go for other 2 minutes. Increase the speed one more time and let it go other 2 minutes. Add the salt, and increase the speed and let it go again other 2 minutes, adding slowly the oil at the end. I am attaching a photo of how the dough looked when done. 

Transfer to the counter, let it sit for a couple minutes and “close” the dough by hand. I do some slap and folds and make a round  boule. The technique in Italian to create tension in a round dough is called pirlatura, in Spanish is called bolear el pan, in English, I don’t know (is there a name for it?).  Put in a lightly oil container, let it sit 30 minutes to one hour (depending on how hot it is) and then transfer to the fridge. You can take it out the same day 3-4 hours before baking or the day after, still taking it out 3-4 hours before baking.  When it’s out I portion it and give 2 sets of folds. For this quantity I use 650g of the teglia (I use a perforated half sheet pan) and I have a little dough left (120-130g) that I keep for a mini pizza the day after. For the folds, I use the technique of this guy: start watching at 16:47. I do 2 sets of these folds about 15 minutes apart before putting in a container with the cover oiled, just as he does. Let it rise at room temperature. After about 2 1/2 hours, I start preheating the oven 550F with stone function in my oven. At about 3 hours or depending on the rising, I spread in the tray, I use this technique. Note: the size of the container she uses to rise the dough is important. And also the flour she uses in the tray is durum (some people mix also durum and rice flour), I found that I bought Bob’s red Mill 100% stone Ground whole wheat organic flour (it was the only flour left at the moment and I don’t like it for baking except in very small quantity but perfect for dusting! Doesn’t burn much). I spray oil on the pizza in the pan (I have a chocolate gun) and bake at the very bottom of the oven 8 minutes total at 550F when is “bianca”, no tomato, no other stuff, just oil. I turn the tray at 4 minutes. Never open before because it’s when you get all the bubbles. 

D271FD1A-D2EC-46EE-B833-445A0F88CF4D.jpeg

@ElsieD, same recipe as here. I think I am getting better with handling the dough and spreading it.