• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Hassouni

Hassouni

16 minutes ago, heidih said:

@Smithy I've posted this before but my method is speed and lightness. Do not consider more flour  panacea. If the hydration is high it will pull away from your hands like some cool Silly-putty. Cold water to clean up. Think how you work with phyllo.

That plus making sure the dough has really been strengthened through a lot of folding/kneading. It makes the dough more likely to stick to itself than you or whatever surface it's on.

Also, use wet hands rather than floured hands for everything until the final shaping, that'll help with sticking too

Hassouni

Hassouni

15 minutes ago, heidih said:

@Smithy I've posted this before but my method is speed and lightness. Do not consider more flour  panacea. If the hydration is high it will pull away from your hands like some cool Silly-putty. Cold water to clean up. Think how you work with phyllo.

That plus making sure the dough has really been strengthened through a lot of folding/kneading. It makes the dough more likely to stick to itself than you or whatever surface it's on.