• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

chord

chord

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

I think a lot of no-knead recipe are the same.  I know that the other recipes I've used before (successfully) don't require any folds in between the first rise and the second.  Can anyone else speak about their experiences with other no-knead recipes?  

I also felt like this was wrong from the very start - like I said more like a batter than a dough.  It was so soft after the first rise that picking it up, it was seeping between my fingers.  

I'm a total neophyte, so take these comments for whatever they are worth, but the Spruce Eats dough recipe seems very similar to the Peasant Bread one from alexandracooks. That dough is also batter-like, but her recipe only has a one-hour initial rise and she does do a kind of a fold using forks between the first and second rise.

Could the four hour rise be the culprit? Your bread does look a lot like the pic in the King Arthur article on over-proofed dough.

chord

chord

I think a lot of no-knead recipe are the same.  I know that the other recipes I've used before (successfully) don't require any folds in between the first rise and the second.  Can anyone else speak about their experiences with other no-knead recipes?  

I also felt like this was wrong from the very start - like I said more like a batter than a dough.  It was so soft after the first rise that picking it up, it was seeping between my fingers.  

I'm a total neophyte, so take these comments for whatever they are worth, but the Spruce Eats dough recipe seems very similar to the Peasant Bread one from alexandracooks. That dough is also batter-like, but her recipe only has a one-hour initial rise and she does do a kind of a fold using forks between the first and second rise.

Could the four hour rise be the culprit? Your bread does look a lot like the pic in the King Arthur article on over-proofed dough.

chord

chord