• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

On 2/17/2020 at 9:02 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Tonight's loaves.

There is something different!  The past two weeks I had been using the Ankarsrum dough hook because the ingredients are almost impossible to incorporate with the Ankarsrum roller.  Yet with the dough hook I'm left with a dense and disappointing crumb.  Granted Ankarsrum does not recommend the dough hook for the small amount of dough I'm mixing.

This time I employed the dough hook for quickly and painlessly incorporating the flour, water, and poolish.  Then after autolysis I used the roller to gently kneed the dough for 45 minutes.  Crumb is much more open.  Don't yet know how it tastes.  I have not finished my mai tai and peanuts.

I always made larger batches  4 - 6 large loaves  10 small loaves  and I used the hook to mix everything EXCEPT THE YEAST because I used hotter water - 150° F.  after everything was mixed thoroughly,  I removed the hook and allowed it to "rest"  for about 45 minutes. (Apparently I was using the "autolyse" method only I never heard about it as that name, it was just something I learned sometime in the past)

I then installed the roller/scraper with the roller about an inch from the side - mine locked down with some effort -  SPRINKLED THE YEAST OVER THE TOP OF THE DOUGH.

Starte the mixer and left it to do the FIRST KNEAD for 30 minutes.  I let the dough rest and rise - depending on the ambient temp - for 30 minutes to an hour. My kitchen is cold in the winter so longer.

Then set to knead for another 30 minutes.

Then turned out onto the bench, scaled to the weight for each loaf, left on the bench, floured and covered with a cloth for 30 minutes

then into the pan for a final rise and into the oven.    If making baguettes I shaped them, set them in a couche for the final rise.  (I bought the raw linen several yards at a time and cut to the length I wanted)

This gave me consistent results every time.  

andiesenji

andiesenji

On 2/17/2020 at 9:02 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Bread02172020.png

Crumb02172020.png

Tonight's loaves.

There is something different!  The past two weeks I had been using the Ankarsrum dough hook because the ingredients are almost impossible to incorporate with the Ankarsrum roller.  Yet with the dough hook I'm left with a dense and disappointing crumb.  Granted Ankarsrum does not recommend the dough hook for the small amount of dough I'm mixing.

This time I employed the dough hook for quickly and painlessly incorporating the flour, water, and poolish.  Then after autolysis I used the roller to gently kneed the dough for 45 minutes.  Crumb is much more open.  Don't yet know how it tastes.  I have not finished my mai tai and peanuts.

I always made larger batches  4 - 6 large loaves  10 small loaves  and I used the hook to mix everything EXCEPT THE YEAST because I used hotter water - 150° F.  after everything was mixed thoroughly,  I removed the hook and allowed it to "rest"  for about 45 minutes. (Apparently I was using the "autolyse" method only I never heard about it as that name, it was just something I learned sometime in the past)

I then installed the roller/scraper with the roller about an inch from the side - mine locked down with some effort -  SPRINKLED THE YEAST OVER THE TOP OF THE DOUGH.

Starte the mixer and left it to do the FIRST KNEAD for 30 minutes.  I let the dough rest and rise - depending on the ambient temp - for 30 minutes to an hour. My kitchen is cold in the winter so longer.

Then set to knead for another 30 minutes.

Then turned out onto the bench, scaled to the weight for each loaf, left on the bench, floured and covered with a cloth for 30 minutes

then into the pan for a final rise and into the oven.    If making baguettes I shaped them, set them in a couche for the final rise.  (I bought the raw linen several yards at a time and cut to the length I wanted)

This gave me consistent results every time.