• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

28 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

How do you cook the pita to get the char spots?

I put the baking steel on a shelf that's a bit above mid-way in the oven, pre-heat to 500°F, then switch to broil when I start to bake them.  I quickly pull out the shelf, slap the dough on the steel and shut the door.  As they poof up, they get close enough to the broiler that they start to char. 

Edited to add that the Shaya cookbook says to put the steel (baking stone, cast-iron skillet) mid-way in the oven.  I get better results with it a little higher.  Probably depends on the oven. 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

21 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

How do you cook the pita to get the char spots?

I put the baking steel on a shelf that's a bit above mid-way in the oven, pre-heat to 500°F, then switch to broil when I start to bake them.  I quickly pull out the shelf, slap the dough on the steel and shut the door.  As they poof up, they get close enough to the broiler that they start to char.