• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ptw1953

ptw1953

On 10/2/2019 at 9:53 PM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I think it's stunning!

@Margaret PilgrimI thank you for your kind words.

My initial displeasure with the Boule concerned not the shape, or taste, of it, but my cutting with the Lame. The lame blade was tearing the dough, rather than slitting smoothly. I was aiming for a shallow cut, but my first cut went deep (trying to be rid of the ragged edges on that cut). All other cuts then had to be the same depth.

Having looked at the photo of it, I am growing towards liking it very much. There is much work to be done on the cutting, but I think a huge improvement (in the number of diamonds at the sides/bottom of the Boule) is possible.

Perhaps another 10 Boules will see me happy with the pattern/cutting...

Philip

ptw1953

ptw1953

On 10/2/2019 at 9:53 PM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I think it's stunning!

@Margaret PilgrimI thank you for your kind words.

My initial displeasure with the Boule concerned not the shape of it, but the cutting with the Lame. The lame blade was tearing the dough, rather than slitting smoothly. I was aiming for a shallow cut, but my first cut went deep (trying to be rid of the ragged edges on that cut). All other cuts then had to be the same depth.

Having looked at the photo of it, I am growing towards liking it very much. There is much work to be done on the cutting, but I think a huge improvement (in the number of diamonds at the sides/bottom of the Boule) is possible.

Perhaps another 10 Boules will see me happy with the pattern/cutting...

Philip