• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

I can report that the 50/50 rye has great flavor plain - is even better toasted.  Decades ago Van de Kamp's sold Rye Melba Toast with Caraway in their restaurants and in some grocery stores. Hughe's market, where I shopped regularly, carried it.  One got a whole pound of melba toast cheaper than the hard stuff in the smaller boxes.

This bread/toast has that rather elusive flavor that I could never before duplicate.

The Bay State medium Rye Meal is from New York Bakers  who,  oddly enough, are located in San Diego, CA.

I use several of their products but this is the first time I have done this particular combination.

I like the Giusto's unbleached artisan flour for certain breads and rolls - it produces a thin but very crisp/brittle crust on German hard rolls or water rolls. 

If you have questions, you can actually phone them and get pertinent information.

(619) 508-7720

andiesenji

andiesenji

I can report that the 50/50 rye has great flavor plain - is even better toasted.  Decades ago Van de Kamp's sold Rye Melba Toast with Caraway in their restaurants and in some grocery stores. Hughe's market, where I shopped regularly, carried it.  One got a whole pounds of melba toast cheaper than the hard stuff in the smaller boxes.

This bread/toast has that rather elusive flavor that I could never before duplicate.

The Bay State medium Rye Meal is from New York Bakers  who,  oddly enough, are located in San Diego, CA.

I use several of their products but this is the first time I have done this particular combination.

I like the Giusto's unbleached artisan flour for certain breads and rolls - it produces a thin but very crisp/brittle crust on German hard rolls or water rolls. 

If you have questions, you can actually phone them and get pertinent information.

(619) 508-7720

andiesenji

andiesenji

I can report that the 50/50 rye has great flavor plain - is even better toasted.  Decades ago Van de Kamp's sold Rye Melba Toast with Caraway in their restaurants and in some grocery stores. Hughe's market, where I shopped regularly, carried it.  One got a whole pounds of melba toast cheaper than the hard stuff in the smaller boxes.