• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

I could have made two smaller loaves or 2 large loaves in 9 x 5 loaf pans or a baguette and a boule. However I wanted large slices for sandwiches so made it this way.  I probably kneaded in another 1/4 cup of bread flour while working the dough.

I have to confess that I don't always measure exactly because I have been baking bread for so long that I go by "feel" and "adjust" recipes on the fly so to speak.

I substituted milk for the water because I wanted a nice crust but not a super hard crust and using milk give me exactly the type and thickness of crust I want and also bread made with milk does not stale as rapidly.  

andiesenji

andiesenji

I could have made two smaller loaves or a large loaf in a 9 x 5 loaf pan or a baguette and a boule. However I wanted large slices for sandwiches so made it this way.  I probably kneaded in another 1/4 cup of bread flour while working the dough.

I have to confess that I don't always measure exactly because I have been baking bread for so long that I go by "feel" and "adjust" recipes on the fly so to speak.

I substituted milk for the water because I wanted a nice crust but not a really hard crust and using milk give me exactly the type of crust I want and also bread made with milk does not stale as rapidly.