• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dtremit

dtremit

41 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Today's bake.

I'm always being asked on some of the face book groups I'm on what flour I use and whether it has to be bread flour.

My usual flour is Roger's Silver Star Commercial Bread Flour. The only place I can purchase the Silver Star is at Costco. But in the past I used just Roger's unbleached All purpose flour or their regular Bread Flour, that I can buy in any grocery store.

I was almost out of the Silver Star so I picked up a 10K bag of Rogers unbleached All Purpose flour.

Hand mixed a 1000g batch of dough yesterday at 72% hydration. After the last stretch and fold, I divided it into two containers and both went into the fridge.

Took one out early this morning and baked two Batards.

I don't see any difference in the crust or the crumb between the flours. I still get the same shine.

First -- what beautiful loaves! 

I think being marked as "bread flour" is a lot less reliable an indicator of protein percentage than we'd like it to be. Really wish producers would just put the percentage on the bag.

I can't find the Silver Star specifically, and the 30g serving size makes it kind of imprecise, but the Rogers website claims both the AP and "bread flour" have 4g of protein per 30g serving.

I assume that means they both have a minimum of 3.5g/30g = 11.66%, as anything under 3.5g/30g would be rounded down.

King Arthur bread flour is 12.7%, with their AP notably high at 11.7%; plenty of KAF's bread recipes call for AP. Gold Medal AP is lower at 10.5%.

An old Chowhound thread here speculates that Canadian flour is higher protein across the board. 

All a long-winded way of saying that your AP flour may well be higher protein than the bread flour others can find. 

dtremit

dtremit

27 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Today's bake.

I'm always being asked on some of the face book groups I'm on what flour I use and whether it has to be bread flour.

My usual flour is Roger's Silver Star Commercial Bread Flour. The only place I can purchase the Silver Star is at Costco. But in the past I used just Roger's unbleached All purpose flour or their regular Bread Flour, that I can buy in any grocery store.

I was almost out of the Silver Star so I picked up a 10K bag of Rogers unbleached All Purpose flour.

Hand mixed a 1000g batch of dough yesterday at 72% hydration. After the last stretch and fold, I divided it into two containers and both went into the fridge.

Took one out early this morning and baked two Batards.

I don't see any difference in the crust or the crumb between the flours. I still get the same shine.

First -- what beautiful loaves! 

I think being marked as "bread flour" is a lot less reliable an indicator of protein percentage than we'd like it to be. Really wish producers would just put the percentage on the bag.

I can't find the Silver Star specifically, and the 30g serving size makes it kind of imprecise, but the Rogers website claims both the AP and "bread flour" have 4g of protein per 30g serving.

I assume that means they both have a minimum of 3.5g/30g = 11.66%, as anything under 3.5g/30g would be rounded down.

King Arthur bread flour is 12.7%, with their AP notably high at 11.7%; Gold Medal AP is lower at 10.5%. And plenty of their bread recipes call for AP.

An old Chowhound thread here speculates that Canadian flour is higher protein across the board. 

All a long-winded way of saying that your AP flour may well be higher protein than the bread flour others can find.