• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElsieD

ElsieD

Yesterday I mixed up a batch of sourdough using my newly refreshed starter as I wanted to make sourdough focaccia.  Everything was measured by weight.  The end result had the consistency of pancake batter.  I knew this was wrong and decided I must have weighed something incorrectly (forgot to hit the tare button?) And so added more flour, but did not think to add more starter.  Just as well, looking at how much the dough rose.  I ended  up with 50% hydration.  Oops.  That dough will not become focaccia but I thought  it might make okay bread.  Into my bucket the dough went.  The recipie called for an overnight rise and this is what greeted me this morning:

20190327_083839.jpg

When I put the dough in the bucket it was slightly under the 1 quart mark.  I did not expect it to rise that much.

After some dithering, I decided to put some of the dough into a 6" springform pan and the rest in a pain de mie pan.  It rose to more than double after which it was baked.  Pictures below.  The little round guy got eaten for lunch and it was pretty good.  The other, not so much.  What wasn't apparent with the round loaf became glaringly obvious with the loaf and that was the lack of salt.  I had almost doubled the amount of flour but had not added more salt.   The crumb of the loaf is fine, but it is rather tasteless.  

I am on the hunt for a new sourdough focaccia recipe.  If someone can point the way to one, I'd be grateful.

20190327_114234.jpg

20190327_124356.jpg

20190327_170408.jpg

ElsieD

ElsieD

Yesterday I mixed up a batch of sourdough using my newly refreshed starters I wanted to make sourdough focaccia.  Everything was measured by weight.  The end result had the consistency of pancake batter.  I knew this was wrong and decided I must have weighed something incorrectly (forgot to hit the tare button?) And so added more flour.  I ended  up with 50% hydration.  Oops.  That dough will not become focaccia but it might make okay bread.  8nto my bucket the dough went.  The recipient called for an overnight rise and this is what greeted me this morning:

20190327_083839.jpg