• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

akonsu

akonsu

Hello everyone,

I made this yesterday. It is rye with about 25-30% of wheat. The recipe is based on the Russian Orlovsky bread. I used a starter that I grew myself, there is no factory yeast. I prefer it rise better than this, although, I am not sure if I can make it do that with my own starter.

I used the dutch over technique that Chad Robertson describes in the "Tartine bread". He uses it for wheat bread, and this one is rye, but this seems to work.

The recipe that I used calls for rye grown in Europe, and the flour that I found here is different. I used a bit more water, and dough fermentation and proofing times are longer. But I am new to baking and bread making, so maybe this is me, not the flour.

konstantin

DSCN4622.JPG

akonsu

akonsu

Hello everyone,

I made this yesterday. It is rye with about 25-30% of wheat. The recipe is based on the Russian Orlovsky bread. I used a starter that I grew myself, there is no factory yeast. I prefer it rise better than this, although, I am not sure if I can make it do that with my own starter.

I used the dutch over technique that Chad Robertson describes in the "Tartine bread". He uses it for wheat bread, and this one is rye, but this seems to work.

The recipe that I used calls for rye grown in Europe, and the flour that I found here is different. I used a bit more water, and dough fermentation and proofing times are longer. But I am new at baking and bread making, so maybe this is me, not the flour.

konstantin

DSCN4622.JPG

akonsu

akonsu

Hello everyone,

The recipe that I used calls for rye grown in Europe, and the flour that I found here is different. I used a bit more water, and dough fermentation and proofing times are longer. But I am new at baking and bread making, so maybe this is me, not the flour.

konstantin

DSCN4623.JPG