• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Could you explain further?

Yes, @Franci. Thank you so much for responding. I value your knowledge of Italian cuisine very much, but I am still unclear on how one would say the Italian word "pane". pan-E? Is this correct? I think we can all learn something here about the Italian word for bread on the Bread Topic. :)

There are also videos that follow the pane pronunciation one that are very enlightening and pertain to Italian food pronunciations. I found that I have been saying several of them incorrectly. :$ Here is a good one with a very cute little Italian lady as your guide. This video is proof, at least to me, that Italian is not at all easy to native English speakers. Spanish seems much easier to me.

Also, Franci and others, what is your opinion of this site on Italian breads. There is one that looks somewhat like the one I am loving so much that they call "pane casareccio" and claim it is from the Lazio region.

I cannot believe they get the crust so thick and crunchy and still the insides are so moist, light and tender. I put mine in a plastic bag and seal it up to soften the crust up, as it is quite challenging to bite and chew at first. The second day, the interior gives up some moisture to soften the crackly, tough crust, and each day down the line, the crust becomes softer. The bread has no preservatives, though, so it needs to be eaten in a few days. I love this bread my purveyor calls Pane di Casa!

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

52 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Could you explain further?

Yes, @Franci. Thank you so much for responding. I value your knowledge of Italian cuisine very much, but I am still unclear on how one would say the Italian word "pane". pan-E? Is this correct? I think we can all learn something here about the Italian word for bread on the Bread Topic. :)

Also, what is your opinion of this site on Italian breads. There is one that looks somewhat like the one I am loving so much that they call "pane casareccio" and claim it is from the Lazio region.

I cannot believe they get the crust so thick and crunchy and still the insides are so moist and tender. I put mine in a plastic bag and seal it up to soften the crust up, as it is quite challenging to bite and chew at first.