• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Clarity

On 11/2/2016 at 2:57 PM, Anna N said:

Next I am going to attempt the unspeakable and convert a recipe that uses a sourdough starter to one that uses just yeast. And to add insult to injury it is one of the recipes from Keller's Bouchon Bakery book.  ( I wonder if there is a bakers protection program similar to the witness protection program.)

At the risk of starting an unhappy discussion, why do you want to make the conversion?  Flavor, convenience, or something else altogether?

Edited to add: I am NOT trying to start an argument; I have no dog in this fight and I hope that no argument ensues.  I'm just curious.

Smithy

Smithy

On 11/2/2016 at 2:57 PM, Anna N said:

Next I am going to attempt the unspeakable and convert a recipe that uses a sourdough starter to one that uses just yeast. And to add insult to injury it is one of the recipes from Keller's Bouchon Bakery book.  ( I wonder if there is a bakers protection program similar to the witness protection program.)

At the risk of starting an unhappy discussion, why do you want to make the conversion?  Flavor, convenience, or something else altogether?