• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

Yesterday I decided to see what IKEA had to offer in their grocery section and found this bread.  I am also showing the ingredient list and the finished product.  We just ate the end piece and decided that some would make a fine lunch tomorrow with smoked salmon, capers, onions and cream cheese.

20180615_161316.jpg

20180615_161419.jpg

20180615_184539.jpg

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Yesterday I decided to see what IKEA had to offer ...  We just ate the end piece and decided that some would make a fine lunch tomorrow with smoked salmon, capers, onions and cream cheese.

20180615_184539.jpg

It's a common misconception that Swedish bread is meant to be eaten. In its native land it is exclusively used as bait for catching moose which - upon digesting the brick-like substance - will spend several hours in a catatonic state trying to digest the "bread", which in turn makes them easy to pick up for the traditional Swedish moose & blueberry brunch (bread-free, of course) ...

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Duvel said:

It's a common misconception that Swedish bread is meant to be eaten. In its native land it is exclusively used as bait for catching moose which - upon digesting the brick-like substance - will spend several hours in a catatonic state trying to digest the "bread", which in turn makes them easy to pick up for the traditional Swedish moose & blueberry brunch (bread-free, of course) ...

Doesn't seem fair game.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've been baking Pan Bigio from Carol Field's Italian Baker for decades.  It's made with a biga and a blend of unbleached and whole wheat flour.  This week I finally bought Ken Forkish FWSY and incorporated his methods.  What a difference in the loaves.  Much better spring in the dutch oven and overall appearance.  I'm just easing into retirement  and can't wait to start fine tuning!

RusticItalianA.thumb.jpg.3691e2b7bd0e34a7a6ebc9e742ce0a5a.jpg

RusticItalianB.jpg

Edited by Steve Irby (log)
  • Like 5

This is the ingredient list for the King Arthur pain de mie.  How can I change this into a rye bread pain de mie recipe using King Arthur rye flour blend.

Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method

--------  ------------  --------------------------------

7/8              cup  Lukewarm water*

1         tablespoon  honey -- 1 7/8 ounces

1 1/2      teaspoons  salt

2        tablespoons  Smart Balance Regular -- 1 ounce

2 1/4      teaspoons  Instant yeast

3 1/4           cups  King Arthur Bread Flour – 13 oz.

1/4             cup   Nonfat dry milk powder

This recipe is for the 9 x 4 Pain de Mie pan.

Can substitute an equal amount of milk  for the water and instant dry milk

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

If you don't get a satisfactory answer here you may want to try KAF's Baker's Hotline for help; it's easy to either email them, give them a phone call or use the 'chat' option.

I made a lovely loaf of honey whole wheat in the CSO yesterday using the steam bake option.

It was in an 8x4-½" pan and although it rose significantly it didn't meet the top of the oven....I did tent the loaf after the first 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning.  It turned out really well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lindag said:

If you don't get a satisfactory answer here you may want to try KAF's Baker's Hotline for help; it's easy to either email them, give them a phone call or use the 'chat' option.

Actually, I tried KAF's bakers hot line but their answers didn't really help.   I also found many recipes on the web, but they were all for the larger pain de mie pan. I  use the KAF white whole wheat flour pain de mie which recipe varies enough from the white bread pain de mie recipe to make me think that I can't just substitute rye flour for the white bread flour.

@Arey I am a bit confused by your request. I have never heard of a "pain de mie" rye bread. I think the reason for that is that rye has little true gluten and thus will not expand like a normal gluten wheat flour. If you are trying to make a rye pain de mie, you will most likely have to use a good amount inclusion of high gluten wheat flour to get the rise needed and pressure within the pan to expand, bind and bake (set) to hold the shape. John.

• Like 1

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

Actually, that's what my question is. What proportion of bread flour to rye flour blend I should use. The KA blend is

a combination of white and medium rye flours, pumpernickel, and unbleached all-purpose flour.  They explain that "You get full rye flavor and a lighter, loftier texture. Use it as is for a classic rye bread, or combine it with wheat flour for a slightly milder-tasting loaf." 

• Like 1

Depends how hard you are prepared to work to accomplish your aims. :)

Click.

If you do decide to attempt it do read the final warning regarding the hydration level that came from feedback.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, keychris said:

Sort of bread related. Cooking pizzas for my eldest child's class for their school sleepover :) Wonderful!

IMG_20180727_185114599.jpg

That is pretty wonderful!

Are you the lucky owner of this wood-fired oven, your son's school? Have you got shots of the finished pizzas? because I know I'm not the only pizza hound here, and that magnificent oven looks like it would produce some outstanding ones. 

> ^ . . ^ <

Alas, they were all eaten before I could get to the classroom in the light to photograph! The pizza oven is at the school, my children go to a Steiner (Waldorf) school, they're there tonight to get up in the middle of the night to watch the eclipse as part of their physics lesson :)

• Like 2

First loaf of bread I've baked in at least six weeks. King Arthur's Harvest Grains bread, except instead of whole wheat flour I use sprouted wheat flour. It didn't rise tremendously

in either the bowl or in the loaf pan, but when I gave up and popped it in the CSO, I got a tremendous oven spring. Bread setting, 350F, 25 minutes, tented the last 10 with foil.

I spritzed the top with oil and added the topping. Should've taken time to do an egg wash. All the seeds are falling off.

Probably won't slice until in the morning for toast; crumb shot then. This has become my go-to sandwich bread.

546478770_harvestgrainsbread.JPG.6c909f4aa1848ba4c7e89b128b161f72.JPG

• Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

17 minutes ago, kayb said:

First loaf of bread I've baked in at least six weeks. King Arthur's Harvest Grains bread, except instead of whole wheat flour I use sprouted wheat flour. It didn't rise tremendously

in either the bowl or in the loaf pan, but when I gave up and popped it in the CSO, I got a tremendous oven spring. Bread setting, 350F, 25 minutes, tented the last 10 with foil.

I spritzed the top with oil and added the topping. Should've taken time to do an egg wash. All the seeds are falling off.

Probably won't slice until in the morning for toast; crumb shot then. This has become my go-to sandwich bread.

546478770_harvestgrainsbread.JPG.6c909f4aa1848ba4c7e89b128b161f72.JPG

That stuff sure is good, isn't it?

• 2 weeks later...

3A7354D9-4667-4666-8BC8-31760021A580.thumb.jpeg.547d7c131746c37918329060b5ed9fcd.jpeg

EAE42A5A-CF31-4755-BDBA-7E5A4E93E969.thumb.jpeg.a36c4e0798904a17f2f775c5033b66a2.jpegDB6E462F-4D45-402F-981F-54CA67290D30.thumb.jpeg.f514dc366c7d367b53773b115a1417c8.jpeg

Shokupan (Japanese “wonderbread”) but made without the tangzhong (roux). Mixed in the Thermomix and baked in the Cuisinart Steam Oven on the bread setting 350°F for 30 minutes. The temperature was just over 200°F when I pulled it. 

It’s amazing how many mistakes you can make and still get a loaf of bread. I did my very best to kill the yeast using water that was way too hot because I became distracted. As the steam poured from the Thermomix I kissed my bread goodbye.  But then I relented and gave it a second chance at life and followed the rest of the recipe mostly according to plan. 

• Like 11

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Shokupan (Japanese “wonderbread”) 

Noted for making fabulous toast:

42611E56-8555-4F21-935F-3A9E816982B7.thumb.jpeg.51c04b038aff97f2b96234aa22589a7e.jpeg

Toasted in the Cuisinart Steam Oven.  Yes,  there is sugar in the dough. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

I finally got around to making this bread, a muesli loaf.  I added some haskap berries and extra sunflower seeds to the mix.  It is a very moist loaf, to the point where I wondered if it was completely baked but my thermopen read 208  so out of the oven it came. The taste is very good and it is even better toasted.  I'm going to look and some more muesli bread recipes to see if they are all this hydrated.  I could not shape the loaf so it was "poured" into the loaf pan.

Anyone else ever use muesli this way? It called for 3/4 cup.

20180815_172326.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I think our many gifted bread makers might be interested in this.

14,000-Year-Old Piece Of Bread Rewrites The History Of Baking And Farming

Fascinating. It would be fun to see what they come up with as a rough recipe. Einkorn flour isn't difficult to come by. Maybe some clever forager can find some club-rush tubers. Although I will admit that "club-rush" sounds more like a social event than a plant.

On further reading I see that an alternate name for the club-rush plant is the bulrush. Hmm, this may have some marketing possibilities for a restaurant of the same name. @gfron1, I'm looking at you. :wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown