• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Corrected the accidental left-for-right swap in top photo loaf descritions. Good grief. The CSO produced the great shine.

I split a batch of sourdough whole-grain bread into two batches. I baked one in the oven using a cast iron pot (started at 450F, turned heat down to 375F, finished out of the pot at 250F) on convection. I baked the other in the CSO using the "Bread" function at 450F until it was golden on the outside, about 45 minutes, then finished at something like 250F until the interior was done.

I am thrilled at the oven spring on both - and I think I'm finally getting the hang of shaping boules to help get that oven spring. But look at the difference in the crusts! On the left: the loaf that had about 1/2 hour in the cast iron pot; on the right: the loaf that baked in the Steam Oven. The shine is quite different.

20200611_163857.jpg

I'll have to provide crumb shots later. One of these is going to a dinner party tonight, along with my very first pumpernickel boule. A crumb shot for that will come later as well. The whole-grain breads began as insurance in case the pumpernickel is a flop, but based on its aromas and feel I don't think it will be, despite the small eruption at the slash.

20200611_164225.jpg

Smithy

Smithy

Corrected the accidental left-for-right swap in loaf descritions. Good grief. The CSO produced the great shine.

I split a batch of sourdough whole-grain bread into two batches. I baked one in the oven using a cast iron pot (started at 450F, turned heat down to 375F, finished out of the pot at 250F) on convection. I baked the other in the CSO using the "Bread" function at 450F until it was golden on the outside, about 45 minutes, then finished at something like 250F until the interior was done.

I am thrilled at the oven spring on both - and I think I'm finally getting the hang of shaping boules to help get that oven spring. But look at the difference in the crusts! On the left: the loaf that had about 1/2 hour in the cast iron pot; on the right: the loaf that baked in the Steam Oven. The shine is quite different.

20200611_163857.jpg

I'll have to provide crumb shots later. One of these is going to a dinner party tonight, along with my very first pumpernickel boule. A crumb shot for that will come later as well. The whole-grain breads began as insurance in case the pumpernickel is a flop, but based on its aromas and feel I don't think it will be, despite the small eruption at the slash.

20200611_164225.jpg

Smithy

Smithy

I am thrilled at the oven spring on both - and I think I'm finally getting the hang of shaping boules to help get that oven spring. But look at the difference in the crusts! On the right: the loaf that had about 1/2 hour in the cast iron pot; on the left: the loaf that baked in the Steam Oven. The shine is quite different.

20200611_163857.jpg

20200611_164225.jpg