• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Taste and technique

Okanagancook

It is just out.  Anyone have one?

i have read several reviews.

overall good but for a more accomplished cook crowd such as Egullet people.

great explanations of techniques and interesting dishes with great photography 

I must say I am partial to books with a pic of your intended finished dish.

just so you have idea on whether you are on track.

It is on my wish list which only really means that I'd like to know more about it. There doesn't seem to be a great deal out there on it yet.   I have done the Kindle preview which covers a couple of sauces but not much else.  I will be watching and waiting.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Here's a look at some of the thinking behind the book in Saveur. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks Anna N for the link.  Other reviews I read said the one thing they didn't like was the way the written recipe was done.  Most like a concise, 1, 2, 3, style where this book has more paragraph style of presenting the recipe. 

I don't have a problem with that.  At least the ingredients are listed separately.

I am looking forward to getting it...next week I think it should come.  I've been to Beast for one her dinners and it was really, really excellent.  And she wasn't even there!  She was apparently on her honeymoon.

10 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Thanks Anna N for the link.  Other reviews I read said the one thing they didn't like was the way the written recipe was done.  Most like a concise, 1, 2, 3, style where this book has more paragraph style of presenting the recipe. 

I don't have a problem with that.  At least the ingredients are listed separately.

I am looking forward to getting it...next week I think it should come.  I've been to Beast for one her dinners and it was really, really excellent.  And she wasn't even there!  She was apparently on her honeymoon.

Ah!  So you are a couple of steps ahead not only by ordering the book but by having eaten in her restaurant.  I have absolutely no issue with the format of the recipes, however, having seen the menu for one of her book tour events I suspect that her dishes will prove a little too challenging for me. Sourcing even very ordinary ingredients is already somewhat of a challenge and if she is particularly heavy in luxury ingredients, as I suspect from the menu I saw,  then I may have to rethink.  Although I am not against buying a book just to enjoy it without feeling that I must cook from it.:) 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Didn't look like one I wanted to buy sight unseen but I have the first hold from our library.  (Modernist Bread kind of stretched my book budget.)  But two copies of Taste & Technique are currently in tech services.  Should not be long.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Anyone have a chance to skim through this yet?  Anxious to know if it's for ordinary mortals.:P

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I started reading it last night.  Looks pretty but no opinion yet.

Hurry up!  :o:oxDxD

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

13 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Mine arrives Monday, supposedly.

Well I sated my desperate need for SOMETHING new and got Mark Bittman's "Fast Cooking" or whatever its full title is. Kindle version was $3+ today!  I know. I know. 

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, Anna N said:

Well I sated my desperate need for SOMETHING new and got Mark Bittman's "Fast Cooking" or whatever its full title is. Kindle version was $3+ today!  I know. I know. 

Fast Cooking is 2.99 for US kindle.  My Taste and Technique copy is on order from the library.

38 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Here are some opinions on the book.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28502821-taste-technique

Thank you but this review is why I rarely consult that site:

"Simple, lux, elevated homestyle dining with freshness and seasonality in mind, Pomeroy goes the extra mile with inspiring long-form recipes and enticing color photographs."O.o

And that's one of the least objectionable ones.  I'll wait for someone I trust to offer an opinion such as yourself or other members of eG. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

"I have little use for expensive professional tools, like sous vide machines or Combi ovens..." made me think I may not be her target audience.

So far I have not found anything impossibly difficult, but nothing that I really want to make.  I have barely scratched the surface though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

"I have little use for expensive professional tools, like sous vide machines or Combi ovens..." made me think I may not be her target audience.

So far I have not found anything impossibly difficult, but nothing that I really want to make.  I have barely scratched the surface though.

While I love my kitchen toys I am not likely to be discouraged by someone who disses them although she'd lose one star for that. But "nothing that I really want to make".  Now that might be the kiss of death. 

I totally understand @Okanagancook's desperate search for reviews. I keep doing the same thing even checking back on Amazon.com to see how many reviews there are.   Not that I trust them either although occasionally you find the odd bright one by someone who actually cooks from the book before reviewing it.

I am asking myself today whether a thumbs down by one or more of our members will really serve to totally discourage me or whether I will absolutely have to see for myself.  If the Kindle edition were $9.99 (as so many are) there would be no contest but it's $22.99 which gives me pause. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I continue to make my way through Taste and Technique.  Photography is superb.  But an egg based aioli?  Really?  And why four pages devoted to Hollandaise?  Compare with a few paragraphs from Joy of Cooking.  (Though both books specify a bain marie which in my opinion is unnecessary or worse.)

I objected to the advice to pour boiling water over an egg to make it safe.  From a food safety standpoint this is pernicious.  If you are going to pasteurize the egg, then pasteurize it.

But the onion soup looks nice.

I may not be the best one to comment upon the vegetables, as my tastes are contrary to hers.  I prefer barely blanched broccolini, 30 second green beans, just a couple minute Brussels sprouts.  Sauced vegetables do not typically appeal to me.*

I noted with amusement she mentions that her grandmother would make supper from a plate of tomatoes from her garden.  Such was my dinner tonight.  That and the second half of last night's baguette.  With Oro Bailen olive oil.

*Not counting asparagus Hollandaise, of course,

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I continue to make my way through Taste and Technique.  Photography is superb.  But an egg based aioli?  Really?  And why four pages devoted to Hollandaise?  Compare with a few paragraphs from Joy of Cooking.  (Though both books specify a bain marie which in my opinion is unnecessary or worse.)

I objected to the advice to pour boiling water over an egg to make it safe.  From a food safety standpoint this is pernicious.  If you are going to pasteurize the egg, then pasteurize it.

But the onion soup looks nice.

I may not be the best one to comment upon the vegetables, as my tastes are contrary to hers.  I prefer barely blanched broccolini, 30 second green beans, just a couple minute Brussels sprouts.  Sauced vegetables do not typically appeal to me.*

I noted with amusement she mentions that her grandmother would make supper from a plate of tomatoes from her garden.  Such was my dinner tonight.  That and the second half of last night's baguette.  With Oro Bailen olive oil.

*Not counting asparagus Hollandaise, of course,

If you have read "Zuni Cafe" how do they compare in terms of teachable moments?  

My 2004 eG Blog

15 minutes ago, chefmd said:

Thank you. Thank you.   Exactly what I was hoping for.   Now I can make up my own mind.  

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Sorry, I've not read Zuni Café.

:shock::(

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog