• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 9)

Steve Irby

I roasted some chicken wings seasoned with Goya Adobo, cayenne, black pepper and thyme. One of the sides was Mexican rice made with white onion sauteed in olive oil, and Knorr Caldo de Tomate. Five minutes into the rice cooking time, I added a couple of diced green jalapenos and diced red bell pepper, because I don't like overcooked peppers. This made for a colorful, festive dish.

We also had chopped spinach seasoned with garlic, salt, black pepper and a little dill. I stirred in crumbled sheep's feta just long enough to melt it. I was going for sort of a spanakopita filling profile, but since I didn't even crack open the recipe, I probably forget some things, like the little bit of nutmeg I just now remembered. It was still tasty, as was the rest of the dinner.

• Like 8

> ^ . . ^ <

Had browned up chunks of the blade roast I picked up at $2.77 / lb. Made Low-carb Malaysian Curry Beef in the slow cooker. The spices in coconut milk smelled wonderful, but the flavour wasn't as intense as I had hoped. There was a nice bite tho'. Still have enough for tomorrow's meal, so here's hoping the taste will be elevated.
I cooked potatoes and carrots separately for hubby. For me, I had thrown in chunks of celery.

Malaysian Beef Curry.jpg

• Like 11

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

6 hours ago, Shel_B said:

Would that be Terra in St Helena, CA?

Your creation looks very nice, although it's got too much bacon for my taste.  However, I'd rather have too much bacon than not enough :D 

Thank you for correcting my spelling.  It is indeed Terra.

Grits are mostly topped with chanterelles.  There is only one slice of bacon crumbled on top of it.  Bacon drippings were used to cook the shrooms.

• Like 2

Yes,  @Shel_B, there were some comments earlier about how it looked like a boat load of bacon on the soup (might be in the Instant Pot thread), until you looked more closely and they were mostly sauteed Chanterelles. These mushrooms are often described as "meaty", and her dish certainly looks great to me, and well balanced.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

We have come to enjoy NOLA style char grilled oysters quite a bit, since we were first introduced to them on a trip to the Big Easy. This time, I did 2 dozen and switched to the gas grill, which I got screaming hot in advance. I would have preferred bigger oysters, but these were all they had, but fresh as hell. I realized, after we sat down to eat, that I had not taken the hot bread for moppage out of the oven so it was part of the meal, but not in the pics.

HC

IMG_2103.JPGIMG_2101.JPGIMG_2105.JPG

• Like 13

YUM, Chris.  I'm hankering oysters.  Soon I'll order some....gotta wait until it gets cold. Those salads look very good, too.

Made some egg rolls and broccoli beef last night.  This afternoon I'll be making a lot more of the rolls to freeze.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

• Like 18

10 hours ago, Dejah said:

Had browned up chunks of the blade roast I picked up at $2.77 / lb. Made Low-carb Malaysian Curry Beef in the slow cooker. The spices in coconut milk smelled wonderful, but the flavour wasn't as intense as I had hoped. There was a nice bite tho'. Still have enough for tomorrow's meal, so here's hoping the taste will be elevated.
I cooked potatoes and carrots separately for hubby. For me, I had thrown in chunks of celery.

It's ironic...I've been looking for a decent price on a blade roast for months, and haven't found anything close to that; but was able to pick up prime rib for an even lower price. 

Not that I have anything against prime rib, of course, but dammit, I wanna braise some beef! It just goes against the grain to pay anywhere from $8-$14/lb for blade roast, I can't make myself do it. It would be a terrible offence against my East Coast Frugality Gene™. 

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Got home late from work after a two hour coach trip, tired and hungry. Managed to put this together,but it is now nearly 10:30pm and I'm still eating.

Chicken legs with shallots, garlic, rehydrated dried cèpes, fresh button mushrooms and chilli pepper. Braised in the strained cèpe soaking water. With rice. I added more of the cooking juices after taking the photo.

dinner.jpg

• Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Bush tucker sausages served with sautéed cabbage, a few fried sage leaves, fresh tomato relish and steamed broccolini.

Bush tucker is a generic term for any native Australian flavours. These were pork with Kakadu plum and lemon aspen. Not cheap at $7.50 for six, but very good. The relish was made with tomatoes, chopped dates, chilli and garlic.

IMG_2722.JPG

• Like 16

Yesterday was a break the fast dinner post Yom Kipper.  

My my wife made a spinish and cheese  quiche and a baked French toast.  My contributions were gravlax and chefsteps chicken liver pate'.  Had my son and his girlfriend and my wife's brother over for dinner 

No picks of the full spread, just my bagel and gravlax 

image.jpeg

• Like 14

Wednesday:  Butternut squash and leek turnover (Annie Somerville, Fields of Green) with a salad of chicory, endive, romaine, pears and walnuts and a few beets. For the first time in 25 years, some deer jumped the garden fence and ate most of the remaining italico russo chicory. This is what I rescued. Our beloved dog is getting old.

DSC01743.jpg

Pork chops with sage and mustard sauce, baked sweet potatoes and carrots with ginger. The carrots started out as a mix of orange, purple and white. The purple stayed purple but the orange and white all ended up sort of pinkish orange. They tasted good.

DSC01746.jpg

• Like 15

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

10 hours ago, chromedome said:

It's ironic...I've been looking for a decent price on a blade roast for months, and haven't found anything close to that; but was able to pick up prime rib for an even lower price. 

Not that I have anything against prime rib, of course, but dammit, I wanna braise some beef! It just goes against the grain to pay anywhere from $8-$14/lb for blade roast, I can't make myself do it. It would be a terrible offence against my East Coast Frugality Gene™. 

WOW! That's more than what I paid for prime rib last week!
These blade roasts were an amazing sale, again from our Real Canadian Superstore. I stockpiled, cut into chunks and used my FoodSaver. So far, I've had great Beef Bourguignon, an old fashioned beef stew. Still 2 cut-up roasts in the freezer. I kept any trimmings, silver skin, etc separate and will do a Red -Braised beef soon...

Really wanted clams tonight and knew the shipments come in Thursdays. Picked up 2 lbs and did up a Coconut Red Curry Ginger-infused Clams for apps. There was a lot of sauce, so I dumped it into the Malaysian Curry Beef we had last night. The combined flavours made for a better curry tonight. Eaten with a pile of stir-fried Bok Choy.  Hubby had jasmine rice also.

Coconut Red Curry Ginger Infused Clams 0002.jpg

Curry Beef Leftovers abd Bok Choy0005.jpg

• Like 15

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Dinner was a pan seared pork chop, mashed potato, seven minute peas.  Perfection.  Through some alignment of the planets everything ran out at the same time.  (Including the bowl of organic applesauce with mace.)   Everything except the liter of M.R.

A liter of still wine is an impossibility.  Even a three cylinder liter of M.R. is a challenge, particularly following the evening mai tai.  However at work our annual food and wine event is coming up and I am in training.

What saved me was this thread started by @winedoc 

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/153831-wine-and-chocolate-pairings/

It so happens I picked up a bar of Lindt milk today.

• Like 9

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Evil jungle prince with chicken. Served with rice and green bean salad.

This is a simple Thai recipe, a paste of chilli, lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves is sautéed, add coconut milk, add chicken, season with fish sauce, and shredded basil, then serve on a bed of lettuce.

IMG_2755.JPG

• Like 13

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 11:00 PM, BonVivant said:

He stood up twice. Once next to the driver's door, and after that in the front of the "tundra buggy", almost touching the windscreen. This bear was good to us. He walked round the vehicle twice, sniffing and being curious, keeping us in a state of suspense for a long time. Everyone gasped and sighed when he did something adorable. He's a healthy young male, and an enormous one.

Zrsfus4.jpg

The bear wasn't being 'good' to you. You were meat in a box and it was looking for a way to get at it.

• Like 3

I know it's stew. What KIND of stew?

I had a king crab leg tonight. Expensive but worth it with melted butter and fresh lemon wedges. There's another one in the freezer. The husband had his usual catfish plate fried by the fish store. I got okra and plantains that they fried up for me too.

Then later, I gave into my craving for pizza. They pretty much roll up the sidewalks here after about 9:00 PM or so. There are bars that serve food until late, but restaurants close at 9:00 on weekdays and may stay open an hour or so later on weekends. I started looking on yelp for pizza delivery, and lo and behold, Domino's was open and delivering for another hour on this Friday night. They were running a special of a medium pan pizza with 2 toppings, and something called Stuffed Cheesy Bread for $12.99. Of course, it cost me $19.00 (46% more) by the time I paid taxes, delivery fee and a modest tip. About 1:15 in the AM, right before they close, my food was delivered. The pizza was not great but not inedible. I saved the leftovers for later. The Cheesy Bread was really pretty good though. It turns out it's a flat loaf of good, fluffy bread that's stuffed with a generous amount of mozz and then more cheese is sprinkled on top. Still, I don't think my very first late night pizza delivery is in any danger of developing into a habit. I have not ordered from Domino's in over a decade, and there is definitely a reason for that.

• Like 6

> ^ . . ^ <