• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 9)

Steve Irby

Astonishing pizzas! I'll have one small slice of each, please!

Sunday dinner was roast pork (pork shoulder roast, rubbed in a pastrami spice and braised in beef until it pulled easily); corn casserole, roasted sweet potato wedges, pinto beans and homemade rolls. No photos because they didn't come out well, but everything was good. Now trying to decide what I'll do with about three pounds of leftover pulled pork. Found a recipe that pairs it with caramelized onions and Gruyere on a sandwich; I'm thinking that is in my future today.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

17 hours ago, mgaretz said:

My Chunky Red Sauce served over a combination of homemade angel hair pasta and bean sprouts.

I found the details on your blog ... I'll look at it more closely later on.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

On 10/8/2016 at 10:09 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Here we have no such thing as "pork steaks".  I love language.

They were readily available when I lived in Kansas City. Sliced pork shoulder. They're available here in Lexington but they are sliced much too thinly and will over cook when grilled.

They are a staple of St Louis bbq.  

• Like 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

No turkey for Thanksgiving this year as 2 of the kids and families couldn't come out due to work schedules.

Had one kid and family over, so we had prime rib and fixings.

Our Superstore had amazing price match this week - with Walmart's AA Prime rib roasts at $4.77 / lb. Superstore put their AAA on for the same price with a limit of 1. Otherwise, it was their flyer price for unlimited @6.99 / lb. Obviously, the "price information" hadn't reached the cashiers as I unexpectedly got all three 3-rib roasts at $4.77 / lb. It was like that Ikea commercial: " Start the car! START THE CAR!" I know many won't buy meat at Superstore, but if I shop the first day of the sale, I always have good luck.
Made Michael Symons Holiday Sprouts, buttered carrots, mashed cauliflower,  baked Russian Blue and AmaRosa potatoes. Dessert was pumpkin pie with whipped cream, and single serving cherry pies.

This was my granddaughter's first pumpkin pie! Got a thumbs up and a # 1...two-handed approval...

Prime Rib0013.jpgThanksgiving Sides0014.jpgPies0001.jpg

Inara's Pumpkin Pie.jpg

• Like 22

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

@Dejah What a beautiful feast!

It was pizza night here too - no where near as exotic as @liamsaunt though!

Two of our favorite toppings - I guess an artichoke theme:

Sauce made with some of the last of my tomatoes, ham, artichokes, onions, mozzarella and parm.

DSC01734.jpg

For this one, the crust was brushed first with garlic olive oil , then with pesto. Then mozzarella, slices of Roma tomatoes, artichoke hearts, some parmesan. Basil was added after baking.

DSC01732.jpg

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 19

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

21 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Dejah - was that actually cap on AAA that you got for $4.77/lb?

I'm not Dejah but I bought one as well which is swimming in it's sous vide bath getting ready for dinner.  The Superstore here charged $4.98 per pound for triple A, cap off.  Special was in effect for three days only,  Thursday through Sunday.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Dejah - was that actually cap on AAA that you got for $4.77/lb?

Hmmm...I just checked the roasts in the freezer...cap on...

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

56 minutes ago, Dejah said:

Hmmm...I just checked the roasts in the freezer...cap on...

Just dug down into the freezer and the other two are cap off...why? I have no idea...depended on who was cutting and packaging? There was no indication on the flyer...just that it was prime rib, but the sign on the cooler and packaging said AAA

Whatever, they were a great deal for very good roasts.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

On 10/9/2016 at 3:17 PM, liuzhou said:

A bit of an experimental dinner which needs work. It tasted as I hoped, but left something to be desired in the look. Too many similar colours.

prawn lentil stuffed peppers.jpg

Spicy, lentil stuffed roast peppers with fried wild shrimp. Served with rice.

You may wish to remove the 'digestive track' from the shrimp (that black line along the back) - - Unless of course you like that sort of gritty stuff!

3 hours ago, Dejah said:

No turkey for Thanksgiving this year as 2 of the kids and families couldn't come out due to work schedules.

Had one kid and family over, so we had prime rib and fixings.

Our Superstore had amazing price match this week - with Walmart's AA Prime rib roasts at $4.77 / lb. Superstore put their AAA on for the same price with a limit of 1. Otherwise, it was their flyer price for unlimited @6.99 / lb. Obviously, the "price information" hadn't reached the cashiers as I unexpectedly got all three 3-rib roasts at $4.77 / lb. It was like that Ikea commercial: " Start the car! START THE CAR!" I know many won't buy meat at Superstore, but if I shop the first day of the sale, I always have good luck.
Made Michael Symons Holiday Sprouts, buttered carrots, mashed cauliflower,  baked Russian Blue and AmaRosa potatoes. Dessert was pumpkin pie with whipped cream, and single serving cherry pies.

This was my granddaughter's first pumpkin pie! Got a thumbs up and a # 1...two-handed approval...

Sobey's here had them for $4.66 as a four-day doorcrasher sale (cap on). I bought one the first day, then on the fourth day thought "I should really go back and get another."

So I went back and found three that were marked down by 50%, because they'd been packaged on the first day of the sale. They weren't large, but I got nearly 8 lbs in total at $2.33/lb which I reckon is a good price for prime rib any day of the week. :P

• Like 6

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Freeze warning tonight so I brought in all the squash. I started dinner with this one - Sweet Mama, a kubocha varity.

DSC01739.jpg

Ended up with this: Sweet Mama Squash Soup. Roasted squash pureed with apples simmered in chicken broth and sautéed onions, maple syrup, cream, s&p, a little nutmeg and hot sauce. Served with chopped, raw apples. One of my favorite soups.

DSC01737.jpg

Served with a salad and biscuits with green onions, black pepper and sea salt.

DSC01738.jpg

• Like 17

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

4 hours ago, mgaretz said:

And what makes it worse is they are talking Canadian dollars!  $4.66 would be $3.54 here in the US (today).

*Sigh* I was jealous too, but after the reminders of the conversion rate, I'm absolutely green! I'm happy for those who got these great bargains too, but it ain't easy bein' green. :)

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

12 hours ago, rotuts said:

indeed.

$ 2.33 CAD  is actually , just now :  $ 1.77 USD.

that used to be my Go To Price for skin-less  boneless Ck BR's

Yikes !

Gosh! Pretty soon they'll be giving the roasts out free!

ElainaA

That soup looks wonderful for this time of the year, especially with biscuits...

• Like 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

14 hours ago, TicTac said:

You may wish to remove the 'digestive track' from the shrimp (that black line along the back) - - Unless of course you like that sort of gritty stuff!

What about "digestive tracks" from raw oysters and clams? No one seems to mind.

dcarch

• Like 1