• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 9)

Steve Irby

Fish 'n' chips night: Beer battered pickerel, and fries made with Russian Blue and AmaRosa potatoes

Eaten with buttered peas (wishing we had mushy peas), malt vinegar and Heinz Spicy Ketsup

Coloured taters0004.jpgFish'n'chips0006.jpgPickerel Bite0008.jpg

• Like 21

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

7 hours ago, sartoric said:

Indonesian roast pork belly with gado gado.

The pork is rubbed with turmeric, salt and pepper, then marinated with a smash of garlic, ginger and peanut oil.

IMG_2761.JPG

REALLY want some of this...

And that oriental shank with pomegranate juice. Ninagluck: Did you use a concentrate? I need some variety with lamb shanks...

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

48 minutes ago, Dejah said:

REALLY want some of this...

And that oriental shank with pomegranate juice. Ninagluck: Did you use a concentrate? I need some variety with lamb shanks...

I'll trade you for some of that delicious looking fish :)

• Like 1

Sticks.

Pork tenderloin marinated in olive oil, crushed coriander seed, chilli flakes and local sea salt. Cherry tomatoes, white button mushrooms, shallots and yellow bell pepper. Threaded onto sticks, painted with the marinade and grilled (broiled). Served with rice.

sticks.jpg

• Like 15

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Dinner was simple: half a bottle of Schneider Riesling No.1, some whipped together Schupfnudeln with caramelized onions and smoked ham shavings and a piece of Chaource for good measure. Life is good!

WP_20161017_22_08_49_Rich.jpg

• Like 11

38 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Dinner was simple: half a bottle of Schneider Riesling No.1, some whipped together Schupfnudeln with caramelized onions and smoked ham shavings and a piece of Chaource for good measure. Life is good!

WP_20161017_22_08_49_Rich.jpg

One of the reasons I love HK... East meets West, and you can get almost everything there. (Sometimes East beats West)

Chaource is a fantastic cheese.

YZhLnzl.jpg

Everything I like is in one photo here, Duvel. My cheese heart belongs to France but my soul is probably Frank/Bavarian and Swabian.  Schupfnudeln/Spätzle, Riesling and Speck (not to mention Sauerkraut)! I'm intrigued by Austrian and Slovenian food as well. Well, come to think of it, it boils down to Speck for me.

I like that they have German proverbs with the words Speck/beer/wine/eating/drinking in it!

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, ninagluck said:

@Dejah I used 1:1 pomegranate juice and chicken stock as braising liquid, the shanks dusted with cornstarch, seared and then braised wit onions, carrots & leek

Thank you!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Duck on the BGE

The skin wasn't as crispy as I would have liked.   

Tried to crispen in oven after taking off the breasts but need more time for the fat to render.

I cooked it for 4 hours at 225 on a beer-can type of stand to 165F.  Would do again at 325 to render fat better and finish at a higher temperature.

DSC01720 (1).jpg

• Like 10

22 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Duck on the BGE

The skin wasn't as crispy as I would have liked.   

Tried to crispen in oven after taking off the breasts but need more time for the fat to render.

I cooked it for 4 hours at 225 on a beer-can type of stand to 165F.  Would do again at 325 to render fat better and finish at a higher temperature.

You need a Charbroil Big Easy. Does a great job, at least, on Chinese BBQ duck. The skin is crispy and beautiful mahogany colour.

• Like 5

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

image.jpg

When a friend hands you a cauliflower you roast it and eat it with some (store-bought) tomato pesto.

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

A friend was telling me about an old time recipe for spinach-strawberry salad with poppy seed dressing and it sounded good but I didn't want to make anything with it for dinner that would take a lot of time or effort, so when i went to the store to get the stuff for the salad, I saw that strip steaks were on sale and that clinched the deal for me. 

DSCN3795.jpg

• Like 13

3 hours ago, Dejah said:

You need a Charbroil Big Easy. Does a great job, at least, on Chinese BBQ duck. The skin is crispy and beautiful mahogany colour.

Oh crap, if I were to buy another Egullet kitchen toy my DH will faint.  But, yes, you are so right, hummmmm

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sartoric said:

He who must be fed went to a corporate dinner last night, so I pigged out on junk food.

That's a BLT with potato gems.

IMG_2774.JPG

Oh dear.....if you consider that junk food then I'm in trouble lol.

It's all veggies with a bit of starch... ;)

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

Roasted potato, artichoke and chicken wings.  Need to do a better job of freezer Foodsaver labeling.  I thought they were thighs until they thawed 

image.jpeg

I've been doing a much better job of labeling my bags with date, cooking time, and temperature...it never occurred to me to note the contents.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Since the meat eater had leftover rib eye steak to keep him happy, I was able to make a rare venture into vegetarian land to make something I wanted. I had been thinking about a butternut squash I had, and how it might make a tasty pasta dish. I knew I did not want chicken broth in the mix because I don't care for it in soup. When I found nothing I wanted to make in my cookbooks, I went hunting on the web, and decided to do this one. I had no fresh sage leaves, which would have been nice, so I used the ground dried sage I did have. I has worried that it would muddy the color too much, but the bright squash was not easily dimmed, and the color was fine. I thought I might not like the garlic element, but did it anyway, so as to keep to the recipe. I won't use garlic again with butternut, but that's just me. I knew enough not to use whole wheat pasta, and subbed in regular Barilla thin spaghetti.

Overall, it was interesting and worth trying. But you know what? I found myself wishing for plain butternut nuked and mashed in the skin, with butter and salt like I usually do it, with a side of thin spaghetti with butter, parm and crushed red pepper. I have simple tastes.

• Like 10

> ^ . . ^ <