• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 9)

Steve Irby

Tonight I had one foot in the past and one in the here and now.

The dinner I most dreaded from my mother's very limited repertoire was her liver and onions. Served up about once every two weeks, it was a form of torture probably outlawed by several international treaties. Shoe leather and burnt but still half raw alliums.

One night in China about 20 years ago, long after I had to suffer my mother's cooking, someone ordered it and, without knowing what it was, I wolfed it down. It was good.

Tonight I had my mother's signature dish with a few twists.

a) No! It doesn't take half an hour to cook liver!

b) Onions don't cook in five minutes.

c) Marinating in Shaoxing wine and chilli pepper then adding some soy sauce sauce at the end makes all the difference.

Served with buttery riced potato and stir-fried beans.

dinner.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 14

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

9 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Tonight I had one foot in the past and one in the here and now.

The dinner I most dreaded from my mother's very limited repertoire was her liver and onions. Served up about once every two weeks, it was a form of torture probably outlawed by several international treaties. Shoe leather and burnt but still half raw alliums.

One night in China about 20 years ago, long after I had to suffer my mother's cooking, someone ordered it and, without knowing what it was, I wolfed it down. It was good.

Tonight I had my mother's signature dish with a few twists.

a) No! It doesn't take half an hour to cook liver!

b) Onions don't cook in five minutes.

c) Marinating in Shaoxing wine and chilli pepper then adding some soy sauce sauce at the end makes all the difference.

Served with buttery riced potato and stir-fried beans.

dinner.jpg

Is there a way to "like" the writing and "not like" the liver?

• Like 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 hours ago, sartoric said:

Rockmelon wrapped with prosciutto, then linguine with clams in a white wine sauce.

Served with spinach salad and crusty bread.

IMG_2761.JPGIMG_2760.JPGIMG_2758.JPG

OH this looks good.  Is rock melon the same as cantaloupe?  I guess I should google.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Shelby said:

OH this looks good.  Is rock melon the same as cantaloupe?  I guess I should google.

Yep, it's the same. My husband still calls it cantaloupe, a product of him being from Victoria.

• Like 1

Had friends over.

Lamb chops cooked SV with rosemary to 133F (they were pinker than the photo appears) (Not shown... blackened maple Brussels sprouts and braised red cabbage)

027.jpg

Parmesan roasted cauliflower

023.jpg

Potatoes au gratin

020.jpg

Bacon-wrapped chorizo-stuffed dates as an appetizer

030.jpg

Smoked pork tenderloin with cranberry chutney appetizer

016.jpg

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 17

IMG_0011.JPG

Mixed lettuce salad with radishes and mullet bottarga.

I really should look into using bottarga more often as a substitute for Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.  The flavor profile is similar.

IMG_0021.JPG

Clockwise from lower right: 4 tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley; 1/2 lemon, sliced; 4 garlic cloves, crushed; kosher salt; 3 tbsp. fine breadcrumbs; 1 cup pinot gris; 2 onions, sliced. Not shown is a bowl with 3 lbs. mussels and another bowl with 4 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil.

IMG_0023.JPG

Warm 1/2 cup olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic cloves.

IMG_0029.JPG

Fry garlic for 2 minutes, then add the lemon slices. Fry for 1 more minute...

IMG_0031.JPG

...then add the onions and a pinch of salt. Fry for 2-3 minutes or until onions are wilted.

IMG_0035.JPG

Add mussels. Toss with lemon, onion and hot oil. Cover and cook for 1 minute, shaking pan frequently. Add wine, cover, then cook for 3-4 minutes.

IMG_0038.JPG

Uncover pan, then sprinkle breadcrumbs over, along with parsley. Toss mussels, drizzle over 4 tbsp. olive oil, then remove from heat and serve.

IMG_0041.JPG

IMG_0048.JPG

Brodetto di cozze, from "Lidia's Family Table", page 298.

• Like 16

I set out to recreate the perfect sweet potato of this post:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/153452-dinner-2016-part-6/?page=6#comment-2063205

Fail.

The sweet potato, though organic, was dry.  At least it was somewhat sweet.  Not sure where I went wrong.  However the pork chop and Brussels sprouts tonight left nothing to be desired.  I finished off the liter of MR from the other night.  Nice, of course, but not worth the job it did on my poor hand.  I have much more respect now for Joule-Thompson.  This kills any desire I may have had for an anti-griddle.

Further, much unlike me, I purchased a couple pints of Haagen Dazs on sale.  The Haaden Dazs merely approached mediocracy.  I suppose I am jaded and spoiled.

• Like 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Last night we had BBQ dinner with some friends and colleagues. "HK style" BBQ takes usually place on beaches or rented properties as usually no one ever has a space big enough to put even the grill, let alone host more that half a dozen people.

The food is straight forward: Marinated skirt steaks, turkey wings, pork cheeks, all types of interesting "fish" balls and frankfurts, veggies and garlic bread. All grilled over fairly high heat and at the end basted with "BBQ honey", a golden syrup that just caramelizes on the surface. It sounds weird, but somewhat works. On top, the place provided us with two (professionally roasted) suckling pigs. I got both snouts!

As the place we rented only serves beer it did not charge corkage for wine, so we had an eclectic range of German wines (just arrived the same day, my annual order), Sake and Baiju. Needless to say it was good fun, very filling and only caused the tiniest of headaches this morning ...

WP_20161015_18_40_54_Rich.jpg

WP_20161015_18_46_40_Rich.jpg

WP_20161015_19_10_58_Rich.jpg

• Like 21

Lots of fall work getting done today - sunny but windy. Tomorrow has rain in the forecast.

Threw a rack of lamb coated with whole grain mustard and fresh rosemary into the oven. Closer to supper time, made nasi lemak with fresh Kafir lime leaves and lemongrass. Steamed green beans in the microwave, drained and sauteed them in the lamb dripping. Full and lazy after supper at 8 pm...

Lamb & Nasi lemak0006.jpg

• Like 18

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Daughter lives in ABQ, New Mexico

So I picked up some assorted peppers to roast!!

These are Big Jim hatch Chile --fairly thick skin nice roasting, easy to peel and chop, mild heat ton a flavor

30230934832_e3c98459bb_k.jpg

The meat  #8 grind ( chuck, brisket and short brisket ) -- just salt and pepper

Telemook chedder

GREEN CHILE CHEESE BURGER

30314231566_8421eda08c_o.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 18

Its good to have Morels

Yesterday, my annual order of wine arrived. Being an expat in HK, I am quite lucky that my German mother company takes well care of their delegates, at least as alcohol is concerned. Once a year, we can order (at German prices) wine from the company, which is an excellent deal in both price and quality.

In order to celebrate, we had some Brazilian friends over for semi-dry Riesling from Deidesheim (Palatinate), Flammkuchen and - because for our friends the needs to be some meat involved - Lahmacun, Turkish lamb mince pizza. Didn't get minced lamb at the local supermarket, so I simmered minced pork with an Oxo lamb stock cube. Worked like a charm ...

WP_20161016_19_20_13_Rich.jpg

WP_20161016_19_23_13_Rich.jpg

WP_20161016_19_49_50_Rich.jpg

WP_20161016_19_52_48_Rich.jpg

• Like 16

Three rather pathetic onions and a small steak that I had cooked Sous Vide and frozen.  image.jpeg

Surprisingly good. Defies the "only use the freshest ingredients" mantra suggestion that otherwise you are doomed to a mediocre meal.  Sometimes you can still make a tasty meal using what you have got.  

• Like 19

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

This afternoon I bought a smallish turbot. Now, though I've often eaten turbot, until today I'd never cooked one and certainly never filleted one. The supermarket did offer to deal with it, but the Chinese way of doing so ain't my way so I declined.

turbot.jpg

I like to think I did OK, but I know I only did just OK. Could have been a whole lot better.

Cooking the critter went better in terms of taste if not presentation. Seaweed. pickled daikon and home pickled ginger. Served with rice and asparagus. This is only part one. I went back for more.

And I'll try again soon to get it just right.

dinner.jpg

Edited by liuzhou
Punctuation (log)
  • Like 14

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

11 hours ago, gfweb said:

Had friends over.

Lamb chops cooked SV with rosemary to 133F (they were pinker than the photo appears) (Not shown... blackened maple Brussels sprouts and braised red cabbage)

027.jpg

Parmesan roasted cauliflower

023.jpg

Potatoes au gratin

020.jpg

Bacon-wrapped chorizo-stuffed dates as an appetizer

030.jpg

Smoked pork tenderloin with cranberry chutney appetizer

016.jpg

We are almost dinner twins.

I put lamb chops in the SV.....I like them at 125F and then a nice sear.  Being vertically challenged I have to stand on my tip-toes to see the top of the Anova once it's in the pot.  I thought I programmed 125 when actually I did 135.  I noticed about 45 mins. in.  PANIC lol.  Luckily these were still frozen when I put them in.  I quickly stopped everything, added some cold water and began again at the right temp.  I was so worried I had over done them but they were good.  Phew.

Scallops taters and bruss. sprouts to go with.

photo.JPG

• Like 13

Fabulous dinners!   @Paul Bacino I want one of those burgers 

Tonight after returning from a weekend trip i did a clean out the fridge dinner.  Roasted beets, a couple zucchini and leftover salmon.  Made a fish salad, grilled the zucchini and diced and tossed the beets with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and a drizzle of pomegranate syrup. The beets were the standout for me

image.jpeg

• Like 14

image.jpeg

Hutspot - carrots, potatoes, onion cooked and mashed together. I added bacon and packaged gravy (a mix I picked up in the local Dutch store). Comfort food par excellence. 

• Like 9

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Hutspot - carrots, potatoes, onion cooked and mashed together. I added bacon and packaged gravy (a mix I picked up in the local Dutch store). Comfort food par excellence. 

My mom used to make this.  She also made what we called stamppot with kale long, long before it became the trendy vegetable it now is, and also a version with sauerkraut.  She always served hers with smoked sausage.  When I saw your plate I wanted to dive right in.

• Like 3

@ElsieD

@Chufi used to be very active and gave us a memorable intro to Dutch foods as well as much other stuff.  I think anyone who was active when she was must miss her also.   Never did get around to trying some of her dishes at that time but my interest has been renewed since I have been visiting the Dutch store with @Kerry Beal.  

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog