• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 9)

Steve Irby

6 hours ago, sartoric said:

Pork steaks marinated with soy and oyster sauces, garlic, red onion, chilli, shredded coconut and oil. Pan fried and served with charred asparagus, charred pineapple and cucumber salad. Plus a sauce made with leftover marinade and stock.

IMG_2692.JPG

Here we have no such thing as "pork steaks".  I love language.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

57 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

They're also called pork scotch fillet, but are actually just slices of neck. These were so tender ! 

I too love the different words that people use to describe unfamiliar (to me) ingredients.

Can't imagine life without Google :)

• Like 4

IMG_9678.JPG

IMG_9680.JPG

IMG_9683.JPG

Salsa verde fixings:

1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
1/4 cup basil leaves
juice of half a lemon
1 minced garlic clove
3 anchovy fillets
a pinch of sea salt
a scant pinch of crushed red pepper flakes

Process until you obtain a coarsely textured paste. Stir in extra-virgin olive oil until you have a loose sauce. If you need proportions, 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil is about right.

Taste for salt and pepper, then use as desired.

IMG_9685.JPG

Either broil for 20 minutes at 500 F or bake for 30 minutes at 400 F. Turn chops over twice during cooking.

IMG_9696.JPG

IMG_9692.JPG

Boiled potatoes with salsa verde.

4 LaRatte heirloom potatoes, peeled and boiled in salted water, then coarsely diced and served with salsa verde.

Yukon Gold potatoes are fine if you don't have LaRatte heirlooms.

• Like 18

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

May not be in New Jersey, but I assure you we have them in the Mid-South, where a barbecued pork steak is a delicacy!

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Assayed an attempt at Marcella Hazan's noted tomato sauce.  Did not care for it, myself.

I've always found it needs to be "dressed up" with some herbs and spices, myself.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

14 hours ago, robirdstx said:

image.jpeg 

Chili with Beans over Pasta topped with Shredded Cheese and Diced Onions

Almost Cincinnati chili.....where are the ranch oyster crackers??????

Last night was a basic salad with a burger.   Found some good 90% lean on markdown yesterday so 2 burgers and 4 sliders from a pound.  Soup for tonight with some bread as it is a little drizzly and cool.   Can't wait to see what I can do soon when it gets cool.....right now I'm tired of making variations of chicken salads as Johnnybird will not eat sandwiches anymore............unless he is in the car.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

31 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

Almost Cincinnati chili.....where are the ranch oyster crackers??????

Almost! :D I did most of my growing up in St. Louis and loved Steak 'n Shake's Chili. But, I prefer saltines to oyster crackers, and now I like pasta with my chili even more! My husband (born and raised in St. Louis) added crushed saltines to his portion.

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 6

A bit of an experimental dinner which needs work. It tasted as I hoped, but left something to be desired in the look. Too many similar colours.

prawn lentil stuffed peppers.jpg

Spicy, lentil stuffed roast peppers with fried wild shrimp. Served with rice.

Followed by apple crumble with cinnamon. This needed some ice cream, but I was too lazy to go get any.

crumble.jpg

• Like 13

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Chicken wings in a red sauce with casarecce pasta. The wings are cooked in a sauce made with diced onion, lots of garlic, chilli flakes, stock and a can of tomatoes. Served with a green salad and toasted sourdough.

IMG_2697.JPGIMG_2696.JPG

• Like 13

My son has been in Las Vegas this week visiting family so I have not been doing much cooking, but he is home now and I went shopping for dinner ideas.  The store had lamb stew meat, something I rarely see. I remembered seeing a NY Times recipe for Irish Stew so that's what I made today with a Jaques Pepin recipe for green beans.

DSCN3772.jpg

• Like 16

Salmon and Swiss chard after noshing on a batch of baba ganoush from two big grilled eggplants.  I was looking to maybe incorporate the eggplant into a dish but we just snacked on it while it took me a while to decide what to cook 

image.jpeg

• Like 17

No pictures because it was essentially brown on brown but I adapted this recipe https://www.cooked.com/uk/Anjum-Anand/Quadrille-Publishing/Indian-Food-Made-Easy/Meat/Easy-all-in-one-lamb-curry-recipe for slow cooked hogget neck steaks - just chopped them up and simmered until done (about 4 hours). Really tasty, would do again. Only change apart from the timings were nigella seeds in place of poppy seeds and I took out the chili half way through as hubby was bitching about the heat. Served with simple mint and cucumber raita, a thrown together spinach curry sauteed with various whole seeds toasted and some left over passata, and some home made paratha, easily my favourite Indian bread.

Just eaten leftovers which were equally yummy :) Would cook again!

• Like 6

On 10/8/2016 at 3:44 PM, kayb said:

Mamma Maria's. Very good.

A classic.  I have not eaten there in forever.  I'll have to get back there.

I spent yesterday afternoon baking pizzas while listening to the Patriots on the radio.  A pepperoni pizza for my nephew, made with a thick crust, extra cheese and extra pepperoni the way he likes it.

pepperoni pizza.jpg

A carbonara pizza for my niece

carbonara piza.jpg

And then seafood pizzas for the adults.  A white clam pizza

clam pizza.jpg

A lobster pizza

lobster pizza.jpg

And my favorite, a Nantucket bay scallop pizza.  The scallop season has just started on Cape Cod, and they were so sweet!

scallop pizza.jpg

• Like 23