• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 9)

Steve Irby

Rummaged the fridge for leftovers.  Had leftover Patagonian scallops and shredded brussel sprouts from the other night and I was digging into a bag of Lay's salt and pepper kettle chips while contemplating dinner, so said why not

image.jpeg

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 14

image.jpeg

Desperation dinner. Tired, hungry, uninspired but dinner turned out not too bad. A russet potato started in the microwave and finished in the oven. Mushrooms sauteed in some garlic-flavoured oil left from an earler project, grated mozzarella and a generous dusting of smoked paprika. 20 minutes start to finish. 

• Like 20

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I am not generally a fan of fried shrimp but this was more like a tempura and we liked it.  We batter fried lemon and dill pickle slices and spiral cut potato baked with cheese and a spicy cocktail sauce.

DSCN3762.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 17

Where did September go? Teaching and grandkids have kept me busy, but I did cook! The meals have been low-carb.

Ginger Glazed Pork Chops with Konjac noodles

Slow cooker Butter Chicken with "naan"

Braised Lamb Shanks with Mushrooms on mashed caulidlowerGinger-Glazed Pork Chops0002.jpgButter Chicken & Naan0018.jpgBraised Lamb Shanks0010.jpg

• Like 20

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

image.jpeg

Had a few shrimp in the freezer so sauteed them in the shells. Enjoyed them as "peel 'n eat" shrimp washed down with Taffel Akvavit also from the freezer. 

• Like 15

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Using up a bunch of stuff:

Lasagna

Meatloaf made into sandwiches

Chicken spinach meatballs with some rice

Yesterday poached shrimp in a beer/garlic/onion broth.  For some reason John decided some of them would go well with leftover lasagna noodles and red sauce instead of the seafood sauce I had made.  Leftovers today for a snack.

Pulled a package of chicken breasts on the bone.  I plan on roasting them later then using one for Cape Cod chicken salad and one to make into chicken pot pie.  The bones will be simmered with some others and vegetable leavings from the freezer to make broth for soup.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 7

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

8 hours ago, Dejah said:

Where did September go? Teaching and grandkids have kept me busy, but I did cook! The meals have been low-carb.

Ginger Glazed Pork Chops with Konjac noodles

Slow cooker Butter Chicken with "naan"

Braised Lamb Shanks with Mushrooms on mashed caulidlowerGinger-Glazed Pork Chops0002.jpgButter Chicken & Naan0018.jpgBraised Lamb Shanks0010.jpg

More about your low carb Naan please?

• Like 2

Today is China's National Day and the start of a week long public holiday accompanied by ludicrous propaganda, so everything has ground to a halt. But I knew it was coming, so I stocked up and am in hiding.

Tonight, gave a duck breast a nice massage with toasted Sichuan peppercorns, chili flakes and sea salt and left it to think about that for about an hour. Then slowly pan fried it to pink while the rice cooked. Finished off with some garlic fried mushrooms - the first of the button mushroom season. And my spicy mango relish.

dinner.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 18

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Dinner last night:

30010315076_5851931bef_z.jpg

Unconventional ramen. Homemade chicken stock, shitake and button mushrooms, green and yellow string beans, carrots, cherry tomatoes, Sun Noodle's ramen noodles, and a just slightly-overcooked hard boiled egg.

• Like 16

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

My lodging has a kitchen but I found out it's mostly good for boiling water!

wKQYcbP.jpg

I like Riesling and I like Gewürztraminer but it's the first time I had both in one bottle. The wine tastes more like Riesling.

n7NjEwm.jpg

Wild Sockey salmon and lobster tails are "cheap" (for the Europeans), many things are more expensive. Though not the first time I have had PEI mussels, elsewhere in Canada and Europe, but it's the same: big shells, tiny flesh. I'm used to small shells, big fleshy mussels that taste of the sea (I live in Europe's biggest mussel producing country).

7zdKnBK.jpg

Last photos from Ottawa:

If one's Raison d'être is "live to eat, drink and travel" then I'm a success.

kCYicit.jpg

Oink oink is on board... (takes a litle over 4 hours by train to Toronto)

koNPUr7.jpg

• Like 13

5 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

More about your low carb Naan please?

Kerry: This is the recipe I used:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/low-carb-naan-bread-with-melted-garlic-butter

But I reduced the amount of hot water from 500 to 400 ml.
Next time, I will also make the "breads" thinner.

3 carbs / serving / 2 pieces

• Like 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Cottage pie experiment with baked Parmesan asparagus.

Per my mom's request I used a recipe she found for cottage pie instead of winging it as I usually do - I'm not super thrilled with the end result. Not enough gravy to my taste plus it is missing a little something. I did keep the salt super low for my mom, which didn't help, but even with salt added it needs something. Going to make a gravy tomorrow to perk up the leftovers.

The asparagus by contrast ended up too salty. The recipe I used for that called for salt and pepper and olive oil and I think for my taste the salt from the cheese is enough. Still have a bunch of asparagus to eat so need to come up with a new experiment for tomorrow. :)

I find the peeling and chopping and boiling the most tedious part of making mashed potatoes so I made a huge pot and from this meal also put enough in the freezer for a side dish on another day, win.

image.jpeg

• Like 12

I had lunch at home with guests yesterday, and attended a hens night later. There was a fine spread of food, which I ignored in favour of this homemade baklava. I had four pieces, bad me, delicious dinner though.

image.jpeg

• Like 13

Korean bul ssamgyeopsal, or fire pork.

With cheese and ramyun noodles, which is a very common variation and the breakfast of champions, if you ask me.

You make a sauce of Korean chili paste, chili flakes, Korean hot curry powder (which I keep in that old MSG tin), garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, black pepper, honey and soju and sauté the pork belly (leftover, marinated in ginseng) in it with some cabbage, carrot, onion and perilla leaf, add blanched ramen and their flavoring packets (more chilli), chopped fresh Korean green chillis, sprinkle with toasted sesame seaweed and then pour over a blanket of melted cheese.

See cheese in action hither: 

Fire pork.

IMG_8591.JPG

IMG_8596.JPG

• Like 19