• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 9)

Steve Irby

Host's note: this topic has been split into multiple segments to improve server efficiency; the previous segment is here: Dinner 2016 (Part 8)

This week Winn-Dixie has a sale for $6.99#  bone in rib-eyes,strips, porterhouse and T-bones.   I bought a huge 1.9# rib-eye and a marked down package with two boneless rib-eyes.    

rP1050100.jpg

Cooked over  lump charcoal  and served with individual Potatoes Anna and cucumber salad.  The medium size steak feed three and the big boy will be become steak sandwiches

rP1050106.jpg

rP1050105.jpg

And a dessert from last week.  Pear cake with red wine syrup and candied pecans.

rP1050086.jpg

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 25

Warm salad of wheat berries, lupin beans, mint, sliced grapes. Toasted sesame seeds, tahini paste, lemon juice, olive oil, anise seeds, carob syrup, chili.

20160916_133310.jpg

Also roasted eggplant slices, served hot with tahini sauce and cumin.

And yesterday's leftovers - peas (frozen) in tomato sauce with onions, garlic and cumin; Eggplant and zucchini curry, with red lentils, dill and various spices.

20160916_133642.jpg

• Like 14

~ Shai N.

image.jpeg

Planned-over lamb mince to which I added some frozen peas and corn and then served it over (frozen) fries done in the air fryer. 

Edited to fix typo. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Meatloaf casserole made with the leftover meatloaf.  I make this by boiling up the noodles then combining with the meatloaf and a ketchup/sugar sauce that's about the same as the meatloaf glaze.  This time I tried something a bit different:  I added an egg to the sauce to see if it would bind the mixture a bit.  Nope.  I also added peas.  Last, I sprayed the panko on top with a bit of olive oil to make the topping crispier. That worked.

mlcass.jpg

• Like 14

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I've been intrigued by various mentions of "tater tots" although I haven't been able to find them here.

Junk food is something I rarely get to eat, but he who must be fed is away on business...

I found these "potato minis" at the local market, and I ate them all (except 2, one for each dog).

image.jpeg

• Like 17

I use Dorot's  ( at TJ's ) frozen garlic and basil with my pasta dishes        I forgot for my first  tomato / linguini dish above

Ive mentioned that in the TJ's thread.   I love the stuff.    garlic is very constant in flavor as is the basil :

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/151391-trader-joes-products-2015–/?page=15

• Like 2

@sartoric

I believe the name "tater tots" is trademarked so unless you buy the originals they will be called something else. I can't remember what mine were called but certainly was not tater tots. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

TT's have a very interring history :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tater_tots

note the TT ' hot dish on the R    Ill have to remember that

http://www.potatopro.com/news/2008/history-tater-tot

""   "They were gobbled up,"Grigg wrote, "faster than a dead cat could wag its tail." "" 

I just love 'em , esp in the CSB  

to think the ingredients might have been animal feed !  or some such  

I do wish they used the peeling w the skin on though.    

• Like 2

image.jpeg

Yet another attempt to like beans.  Cannellini beans with bacon and garlicky greens.  Didn't do it. Didn't even come close.  

• Like 15

My 2004 eG Blog

Sorry, my poor, too-much green in this photo doesn't do the dish justice, it was delicious.  Olive-oil poached halibut (a Mario Batali recipe), homemade ricotta ravioli and pesto. 

IMG_1155.JPG

• Like 17

We had fried zukes with the last yellow crookneck squash thrown in. This was drained and then blotted on an obscene amount of cheap paper towels from the dollar store to be virtually grease free and was delicious with only kosher salt.

Then chicken parm with a small side of spaghetti with marinara sauce and fresh mozz melted over all in the oven in the last five minutes of cooking. Plenty of crushed red pepper on my portion.

• Like 6

> ^ . . ^ <

We had dinner at one of our favorite izayakas in San Francisco.

IMG_8956.JPG

IMG_8961.JPG

Liver yakitori, okra yakitori.

At lower left, foreground is a lump of roasted garlic. At right is some shichi-mi tōgarashi.

IMG_8963.JPG

Hotate no sashimi -- scallop sashimi, with lime, shiso and daikon radish.

IMG_8966.JPG

Yosedofu -- house-made silken tofu with Meiji soy milk, scallion, bonito, ginger and ume shoyu.

IMG_8968.JPG

Nijimasu no shioyaki -- whole salt-grilled rainbow trout wrapped in a fig leaf, served with lemon and grated daikon. Not shown is a bowl of Japanese rice.

IMG_8970.JPG

The best part is the head, especially the cheeks and eyes.

IMG_8972.JPG

Kamo menchi katsu -- Minced duck croquette, sweet onion katsu, snowy cabbage and radish, hot mustard.

IMG_8973.JPG''

Natto don -- rice, natto, umeboshi and hot mustard. Not shown is a plate of toasted nori.

Izakaya Rintaro
82 14th Street (Folsom Street)
SoMa

• Like 15

Ronnie went fishing again behind the house.  Came home with a drum or two.  I steamed them in the CSO with a bit of olive oil brushed on and some cajun seasoning.  Twas my first time ever steaming fish.  We really liked it.  So tender.

Shrimp alfredo over zoodles, too.

photo.JPG

• Like 21

13 hours ago, David Ross said:

Sorry, my poor, too-much green in this photo doesn't do the dish justice, it was delicious.  Olive-oil poached halibut (a Mario Batali recipe), homemade ricotta ravioli and pesto. 

IMG_1155.JPG

The halibut is really easy-just place the filets on top of sliced lemon that's in the bottom of a casserole pot, (I use a Le Cresuet pot), then the halibut on top of the lemon, toss in some garlic cloves, capers, Italian parsley and a few sprigs of thyme, rosemary and sage.  Cover and bake in the oven at 200 for about 1 1/2 hours.  Strain the oil and drizzle over the halibut and use for tossing into pasta.

My pesto is sort of a hybrid version I suppose.  The basic fresh basil, toasted pine nuts and parmesan, garlic, but now I'm in the mode of adding anchovy and lemon juice and I stir in the olive oil rather than pulse the oil with the other ingredients in the food processor.  It's very tasty, but even with the anchovy still needs a bit of salt and pepper.

• Like 4

Hand rolled tagliatelle/pappardelle (apx. 1/2"), in a light(ish) mushrooms and cream sauce. A little thyme, garlic, chili, nutmeg, pepper. Topped with porcini flavored breadcrumbs and chives.

20160917_202903.jpg

This is the first time I made fresh pasta in few years. My first few attempts were with a borrowed machine, and I didn't knew much back then, and it was quite a mess if I remember correctly. After that, I thought occasionally on buying a pasta machine, but I knew it won't see much use. Recently, I concluded that that there is no way Italian nonnas had those machines years ago, and yet surely made great pasta! And that leads to todays meal, and probably many more pasta in the future.

20160917_200313.jpg20160917_201501.jpg

19 hours ago, Anna N said:

Yet another attempt to like beans.

Would you mind if I ask what is that you dislike about beans? And BTW, Your dish looks lovely.

• Like 16

~ Shai N.

@shain

I would rather not take this off topic so I will see if I can think up a new topic where we can discuss beans and why we like or dislike them. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Once again, I nicked some sage and rosemary from the pool area.

IMG_0099.JPG

The rains yesterday and last night has the rosemary in blossom, which I think helps the flavor.

IMG_0098.JPG

I stemmed the rosemary and sage and infused some olive oil with them and some crushed garlic at a low simmer, then cooled, added some

red wine and thinly sliced onions, a little salt and some dried oregano.

IMG_0103.JPG

Put half a chicken in for an overnight rest, turning whenever I remembered to.

IMG_0104.JPG

Traveling market day was today in Greve and we hoped to score some fresh porcini for our last dinner here, which we did.

IMG_0116.JPG

Cut and  prepped.

IMG_0140.JPG

Time for the bottom line: chicken cooked on the grill, had great flavor, but was as tough as a pair of sandals. More research is needed here. The porcini, however, were absolutely excellent.

Better than I remember. I brought some dry porcini home with me on the last trip and, while good, it is no comparison to the real, fresh thing.IMG_0141.JPG

I hope to get more fresh porcini in Florence. It is amazing that this tough looking fungi makes such a transformation into the most delicate indulgence in a matter

of minutes in the pan.

HC

IMG_0142.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 21