• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

辣子鸡 (là zi jī) or chicken with chillis is a renowned Sichuan dish* which I tend to make about every couple of months. More often I eat it out, comparing versions.  

辣子鸡 (là zi jī) or chicken with chillis is a renowned Sichuan dish* which I tend to make about every couple of months. More often I eat it out, comparing versions.  

This morning I picked up a couple of duck legs and was pondering what to do with them. It crossed my mind that what I really wanted was 辣子鸡 (là zi jī), then it struck me. Make 辣子鸭 là zi yā (duck with chillis).

The legs were skinned and de-fatted (all proceeds rendered down to add to my huge bowl of duck fat). Then de-boned to separate meat and bones.  Bones into a pan to make duck stock.

Meat cut into chopstick handleable pieces and marinated in Shaoxing wine and soy sauce. "Facing heaven" chilis halved and de-seeded. Garlic chopped. SIchuan peppercorns roasted and ground in my new mortar and pestle. Scallions cleaned and chopped into one inch segments.

The duck deep fried until cooked though, the oil mainly drained off, then the chillies, garlic and peppercorns fried until fragrant. The duck re-introduced and heated through. Served with rice and greenery.

It was good, but I've come to understand why Sichuan prefers chicken in this dish.

This morning I picked up a couple of duck legs and was pondering what to do with them. It crossed my mind that what I really wanted was 辣子鸡 (là zi jī), then it struck me. Make 辣子鸭 là zi yā (duck with chillis).

The legs were skinned and de-fatted (all proceeds rendered down to add to my huge bowl of duck fat). Then de-boned to separate meat and bones.  Bones into a pan to make duck stock.

Meat cut into chopstick handleable pieces and marinated in Shaoxing wine and soy sauce. "Facing heaven" chilis halved and de-seeded. Garlic chopped. SIchuan peppercorns roasted and ground in my new mortar and pestle. Scallions cleaned and chopped into one inch segments.

The duck deep fried until cooked though, the oil mainly drained off, then the chillies, garlic and peppercorns fried until fragrant. The duck re-introduced and heated through. Served with rice and greenery.

laziya.jpg

It was good, but I've come to understand why Sichuan prefers chicken in this dish.

*Actually, it's from Chongqing which is now directly administered from Beijing, but was part of Sichuan.

liuzhou

liuzhou

laziya.jpg