• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Valrhona White Chocolate

DianaB

I've used Valrhona Ivoire white chocolate as a base for various ganache recipes for some time after failing to create a good ganache with other white chocolate including Callebaut, a brand I otherwise like.  Valrhona is expensive compared to other brands available here in England but Vente Privée offers it at a good discount several times each year.  There is a Valrhona sale this week: 

https://secure.uk.vente-privee.com/ns/en-gb/operation/57934/classic/3642874/catalog

That link is to the English site but I know the company operates in other countries. You need to become a member to buy from the site, not sure why but it is free and you aren't obliged to buy anything.  

I've already placed an order, popular products sell out fast.  Since ordering I have read various posts in the Pastry and Baking thread that have left me wondering if I should be using Opalys as my white chocolate rather than Ivoire.

Do any of you have experience of both variants of Valrhona's white chocolate?  I would be grateful for any advice you can provide on using them in baking or chocolate making.

Opalys is a little less sweet and less runny than Ivoire.  They add more milk solids and a little less fat to make it more opaque.  Opalys is 32% fat and Ivoire is 35%.  I probably have a Valrhona brochure somewhere with more info but I have to go to work.

You may also like Callebaut Zephyr, it is sort of in between Opalys and Ivoire in terms of opacity & viscosity.  And less expensive!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, adey73 said:

I've never seen Valrhona that cheap in the UK!

Thats why I stock up in their sales!  I know they supply other countries but not sure which.

Many thanks @pastrygirl for your advice.  I had some real disasters with a Callebaut white but I should perhaps try again, I'm not sure it was Zephyr.  I use their dark chocolate more than any other but mistakes can be expensive so I've stuck with Ivoire for white lately.  Might see if I can amend the order to include a bag of Opalys...

• 2 months later...
On 9/15/2016 at 7:50 PM, DianaB said:

Thats why I stock up in their sales!  I know they supply other countries but not sure which.

Diana

I saw that promotion but thought the best by dates on the product info looked very short. Do you know typically how long the dates are on the Valrhona chocolate that Vent Privee supply?

I do keep dark chocolate well beyond the manufactuer's best dates but I am not selling my products. I have far less confidence in white chocolate keeping well over a long time but I guess I could freeze it.