• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dcarch

dcarch

On 9/16/2016 at 0:44 AM, Smithy said:

There is also the latent heat of condensation to be considered when comparing steam to boiling water.  It's a factor in burns.  Would it not also be a factor in steaming vs. boiling potatoes?

By definition, I don't think steam can ever be hotter than boiling water, 212F (100 C) unless it's under pressure. The moment steam enters air which is colder than 212F, it immediately condenses and becomes visible water (so called steam), at that point, latent heat of water vapor (steam) is no long there.

Pressure cooker steaming is different.

dcarch

dcarch

dcarch

On 9/16/2016 at 0:44 AM, Smithy said:

There is also the latent heat of condensation to be considered when comparing steam to boiling water.  It's a factor in burns.  Would it not also be a factor in steaming vs. boiling potatoes?

By definition, I don't think steam can never be hotter than boiling water, 212F (100 C) unless it's under pressure. The moment steam enters air which is colder than 212F, it immediately condenses and becomes visible water (so called steam), at that point, latent heat of water vapor (steam) is no long there.

dcarch

dcarch

dcarch

7 hours ago, Smithy said:

By definition, I don't think steam can ever be hotter than boiling water, 212F (100 C) unless it's under pressure. The moment steam enters air which is colder than 212F, it immediately condenses and becomes visible water (so called steam), at that point, latent heat of water vapor (steam) is no long there.

dcarch