• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

6 hours ago, nato said:

I want a nice small combi oven and it seems like there's the CSO, the Anova, and nothing else?

There's plenty more. Some even talked about here.

Search steam ovens on Amazon too.

Edited by weinoo
The second link I tried sucked. (log)

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

54 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Does a better job on bread than the Blumlein but one loaf at a time.

And a short one - I've made bread in my CSO and the height was my biggest complaint.

p

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, palo said:

And a short one - I've made bread in my CSO and the height was my biggest complaint.

p

I agree 100%.  I now start my bread on the bread cycle in the CSO but finish baking it in my regular oven.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

@jedovaty 

the Balmuda is very interesting.

I don't think moisture heats up quicker than air

but if it makes excellent toast as the CSO does

do to the CSO being sealed , and moisture comes from the bread ...

Id be careful w a CSO ;  is it new ?  there might be no warranty 

as cool as the Balmuda is , why do you add a little water ?

this might work , but if the oven has a tight seal  a la CSO

this should not be necessary 

but it might work very well

price is the same for you ?

is the size of the B similar to the CSO ?

can you return the B if you dont like it ?

dont be in a hurry 

but your toast is waiting ...

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a 3 1/2 pound smoked meat brisket.  The label suggests steaming it for 1 1/2 hours.  I wondered if I could steam it in the CSO.  If I can, what temperature would I set it at and do I steam it wrapped in foil (doesn't sound right) or totally unwrapped?  Thanks!

20220112_210942.jpg

@ElsieD  

is it already cooked ?

if it is , why not just steam it , unwrapped 

over simmering water ?  in the CSO  set up a similar environment

200 F ?

is not cooked , think about SV if SV is available to you

Uncooked :  cook it as you would normally do 

for uncooked brisket .

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I have a 3 1/2 pound smoked meat brisket.  The label suggests steaming it for 1 1/2 hours.  I wondered if I could steam it in the CSO.  If I can, what temperature would I set it at and do I steam it wrapped in foil (doesn't sound right) or totally unwrapped?  Thanks!

20220112_210942.jpg

I use my CSO as a steamer all the time - steamed whole fish, you name it.  I usually just do steam at 210F but I haven't really thought about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What is the purpose of steaming it for so long?  If it is cooked and ready to eat then the steaming is for heating the meat.  If not cooked fully then the steaming is to finish it.  The former would only need a gentle steam heat and the later perhaps more around the 210f mark. Can you go to their website and get more info?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

What is the purpose of steaming it for so long?  If it is cooked and ready to eat then the steaming is for heating the meat.  If not cooked fully then the steaming is to finish it.  The former would only need a gentle steam heat and the later perhaps more around the 210f mark. Can you go to their website and get more info?

I know Katz's steams their pastrami after it has been smoked and cooked for a good hour or so, prior to it being hand sliced for sandwiches.  It's kept in a steamer actually.  Makes it tenderer throughout, and maybe renders a little more of the fat?

https://www.seriouseats.com/how-katz-deli-makes-their-best-pastrami

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I ended up phoning Schwarz in Montreal.  They told me the meat is cooked, I need to steam it on the stove for 2 hours.  They said to test for tenderness, stick a fork in it and if it comes out clean, it's done.  If it doesn't give it a bit more time.  Would steaming it in the CSO for 2 hours at 210F as @KennethT suggests work?  I'm pretty sure I can also heat this sous vide but I have never used the steam only setting on the CSO and thought to try it.

4 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@ElsieD 

I see no reason you can steam it in the CSO

however , Id watch both your water reservoir

and the tiny drip pan, esp that tiny pan

you might have to empty the pan several times.

good luck !

Thanks for the reminder about the drip pan.  I hadn't given it a thought until you mentioned it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I ended up phoning Schwarz in Montreal.  They told me the meat is cooked, I need to steam it on the stove for 2 hours.  They said to test for tenderness, stick a fork in it and if it comes out clean, it's done.  If it doesn't give it a bit more time.  Would steaming it in the CSO for 2 hours at 210F as @KennethT suggests work?  I'm pretty sure I can also heat this sous vide but I have never used the steam only setting on the CSO and thought to try it.

I haven't steamed anything for 2 hours, but have had the steamer running for 45 minutes or so with no problems.  Like @rotuts said, make sure you keep an eye on the reservoir and the drip tray!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I tried steaming the smoked meat in the CSO, with the steam 210F setting.  A half hour later I went to check on it and while the top of the oven was hot, the inside was stone cold.  I re-set it, placed an oven thermometer inside and turned it back on.  15 minutes later, same thing.  The dial on the oven thermometer had not budged.  I ended up steaming it on the stove.  I guess that setting doesn't work on my CSO.  I should mention that it is the first time in all the years I've had this oven that I tried that setting.

• Sad 5

• 2 months later...
15 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

That sucks.  How long have you had it?

Good question.  This

Is when I got my first one. So that's over 8 years ago (when I started the original thread about the Steam Girl).

Now - checking Amazon, I see the second one wasn't purchased until July, 2019 - meaning Steam Girl 1 lasted over 5 years.  Steam Girl 2 is not gonna make it to the ripe, old age of 3.

But more importantly, isn't the lifespan of a product like this based more on usage than actual age in years? And I'd guess I've used model 2 a lot, especially over the pandemic time. A real lot.

In any event, time for a new countertop toaster/oven. Which might not have steam.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I could get a refurbished on on Wayfair for like $219.00. But I don''t know if I want another.

Actually, this is on Amazon - CUISINART CSO-300N1C Combo Steam Plus Convection Oven, Silver

It's only $267 or so - hmmmm.....(I really like the oven).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog