• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

13 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I'm embarrassed to say that I STILL haven't done it.  That Sunday roast dinner was so filling that we didn't want any dessert and I just haven't done it.  

Hey, it's a Christmas pudding, you're just early for December 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So after 3 hours on Steam Bake at 225, an overnight cool down, and about 20 mins on Conv. Bake at 475 and another 10 on broil, I got a true Chef John "fork don't lie" moment, with ridiculously crisp/crunchy skin and very tender, juicy belly meat. Success!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Hassouni said:

So after 3 hours on Steam Bake at 225, an overnight cool down, and about 20 mins on Conv. Bake at 475 and another 10 on broil, I got a true Chef John "fork don't lie" moment, with ridiculously crisp/crunchy skin and very tender, juicy belly meat. Success!

Did you use the same method as the SE article you linked, with the first cook basically a confit?

1 hour ago, dtremit said:

Did you use the same method as the SE article you linked, with the first cook basically a confit?

Sort of - but the belly was taller than the pan it was in, so it was only somewhat immersed in lard. I feel like I spent more pork fat than I got out of it...very strange, I'd have expected a net surplus.

Can't argue with the results though! I wish I had a photo

• Like 3

On 4/11/2021 at 4:09 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I use a special Korean water filled baguette pan

Jo, could you say more about your Korean pan? A link?

I bought a nice two-baguette pan for the CSO. It was a Bakemaster from Amazon. Too long for the CSO but I trimmed it with a grinder so  it would fit north-south (which is slightly longer in the CSO that east-west). My only minor criticism is that the Bakemaster would have made a better baguette if it was slightly wider. But good heavy gauge and highly recommended for fellow CSOers.

Baguette pans are really difficult. Hard to get heavy gauge with just the right proportions.

7 hours ago, FlashJack said:

Jo, could you say more about your Korean pan? A link?

Sorry, I cannot find any more information on the pan.  It came with instructions, however I've not seen the instructions since about 1995.  I bought the pan from KAF (which is now KAB).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone found a baking sheet that will fit in the CSO?  I don't much care for the ridged one that came with it and would like to get one with a flat bottom.  I saw a couple on Amazon that should fit but I thought I'd ask here first.  Thanks!

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Has anyone found a baking sheet that will fit in the CSO?  I don't much care for the ridged one that came with it and would like to get one with a flat bottom.  I saw a couple on Amazon that should fit but I thought I'd ask here first.  Thanks!

I favor TeamFar baking sheets and pans.  I have many.  One that fits the CSO is (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

$7.99 in the US.

Yes, I did see that.  I'm amazed sometimes by the price differences between .ca and .com.  I don't mind accounting for the exchange rate and maybe a small premium if I really, really want it or can't find it here, but that's about it.

9 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Yes, I did see that.  I'm amazed sometimes by the price differences between .ca and .com.  I don't mind accounting for the exchange rate and maybe a small premium if I really, really want it or can't find it here, but that's about it.

Once we can shop openly and browse properly if I were you I would pop into HomeSense with your tape measure. You will be amazed at what you might find. It may take more than one visit. @Kerry Bealand I have found numerous baking pans and such that fit the CSO. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Once we can shop openly and browse properly if I were you I would pop into HomeSense with your tape measure. You will be amazed at what you might find. It may take more than one visit. @Kerry Bealand I have found numerous baking pans and such that fit the CSO. 

I do stop in there whenever I'm in that particular shopping mall.  I like looking at the stuff in the kitchen area and usually come out with an item or four.  So yes, I'll keep that in mind.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@ElsieD Also poke around on various sites under different brand names for just "stainless baking sheets" or "stainless baking tray" — these seem to be a generic import from China, and at least on US Amazon, you can find *identical* pans under a dozen brands. I bought some larger pans of a similar style recently for my weird size wall oven, and ended up with "HUSHIDA" instead of "TeamFar." Every detail of the pans appears identical.

The selection seems to be less on amazon.ca but there are a few -- e.g., this "Raynag" pan for $18: hopefully eGullet-friendly amazon.ca link

Edited by dtremit
fixed broken link (log)
  • Thanks 1