• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

JoNorvelleWalker

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

21 minutes ago, md8232 said:

Looks great.  Quite a bit more expensive that the CSO, but looks a lot better...  I'd love to hear how you enjoy using it after you get it.... maybe a dedicated thread for it????

• Like 3

• Like 1

“What is called sound economics is very often what mirrors the needs of the respectably affluent.” - John Kenneth Galbraith

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 minute ago, chromedome said:

Sooner or later, somebody was bound to take one for the team. :)

Happy to be “That Guy”???

I can post some side by side pics and thoughts once it arrives.

If there is enough interest, the powers that be can split it off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese?

Charles De Gaulle, in "Les Mots du General", 1962

Amazon says the F Blumlein will be here Friday.  Coming from California.

I’ll set it up next to the CSO and take some photos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I don't have an oven with a thermostat (there's a dial, but no numbers) and the CSO-300 was my go-to for everything. Spending $500 on a replacement is a bitter pill to swallow, but if it really is better...

Has anyone ever had the steam function quit?

10 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Has anyone ever had the steam function quit?

I recall @Shelby had the pipes get clogged and she posted a masterful step-by-step repair.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/7/2020 at 3:31 PM, jrshaul said:

The motor appears to be a shaded pole motor.

The convection fan on my older CSO failed recently, too.  Haven't gone in to debug it yet.  I can rotate the fan with a toothpick through the upper vent holes so it's not seized enough to lock up.

If you find a source for a replacement fan/motor please let us know.

@Shelby  now that @gfweb mentioned it, I remember you doing that.  Do you remember when?  I have gone through a number of pages and can't find it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@Shelby  now that @gfweb mentioned it, I remember you doing that.  Do you remember when?  I have gone through a number of pages and can't find it.

I think this is the post in question.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Posted (edited)

Yes!  Smithy has posted my saga :) .  That cleaning worked wonders.  I highly recommend it.

Edited to say:  I can't believe that's only been a year ago.  Seems like a decade ago with all that's happened in the world.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Yes.

And?

10 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

And?

Shelby Maneuver -- twice so far.  Just be sure to tighten the hose clamps.  (Oh, and empty the drip tray while you're at it.)

I am rather sure my clogging problem was due to organic matter, not lime scale.  I had been using deionized water in my tank.  In the winter I'd have algae and at other times a white flocculant growth, as yet unidentified.  After the last Shelby Maneuver I switched to distilled water and so far have had nothing visible growing in the tank.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Banana walnut bread baked in the CSO . Preheats so quickly & doesn't heat up the kitchen.

1161257409_IMG_6025-bananabread-cso.jpg.8091cfa254a574d70a4dfbdd7ab1cf44.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

3 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

It's so clean in there!

That’s only because I haven’t owned it as long as all of you early adopters! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, curls said:

That’s only because I haven’t owned it as long as all of you early adopters! 

You don't keep an unused spare for taking photographs?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, KootenayCook said:

Damn - I just took delivery of a "backup" CSO, but this looks more interesting (and more expensive...).

The brown truck is bringing it here today.  I just received my Cajun Fryer, so there will be some posts & pics coming on both.

I’ve created a thread for the F. Blumlein here:  

Edited by md8232 Added a new thread (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 5/6/2020 at 1:43 PM, robirdstx said:

Well, I looked at mine and could not see the fan turning, then did the post it note test and no wind. I guess that explains the lack of noice when I use convection bake. My unit was purchased less than two years ago. The unit has a three year limited warranty. I ordered it through amazon.com and received the Canadian model. I have sent off an email with photos of the unit and invoice to the Conair Canadian center, asking how I can get my unit repaired or replaced, as I live in the USA. Other than lack of fan function, the unit works just fine.

I got a return email the other day:

Thank you for your email. I apologize for the delayed response. You reached Conair Canada. I am forwarding your query to Conair US for further assistance.

I will keep you updated.

• Like 1

@md8232, I'm very interested in your impressions. I've heard many arguments for a CSO, but rarely for what's wrong with it.

(I have not [yet] succumbed to this instance of DL enabling, so I don't know). 😄

51 minutes ago, TdeV said:

@md8232, I'm very interested in your impressions. I've heard many arguments for a CSO, but rarely for what's wrong with it.

(I have not [yet] succumbed to this instance of DL enabling, so I don't know). 😄

CSOs only fault in my eyes is that its a bit small. Fitting a 1/4 sheet pan would be great and allow many more normal-sized baking dishes.

Its also sealed so tight that that wet food will steam bake even with the steam turned off. Roasting cauliflower isn't easy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Last night was more chicken thighs in the CSO - and more experimentation.  This time, I did steam-bake at 425F for 10 minutes, then took the tray out, raised, the rack to the upper slot (but the rack is still a U), but the tray back and steam-broil at 450 for 5 minutes, then turned the tray around 180degrees and steam-broil for 5 minutes.  Prior to cooking, was a quick dip in some fish sauce followed by just a few minutes in the refrigerator uncovered.  Best chicken yet!  Unfortunately, no photos.....

• Like 5

I've now used the CSO to steam whole fish twice. Both times it performed admirably but it was a bit of a learning curve as the steaming times are a little longer than they'd be than if I was using a traditional steamer on the stovetop.

• Like 1