• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

I've probably said this before, but the Bake/Steam setting is one of the best tools for leftovers.  I put a pancake in at 275F for 5 minutes and it was perfect - like I'd just flipped it off the griddle.  We are having leftover Chinese tonight and I'll use the same thing on the rice.  I know from experience that it will be just right.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I made Chelsea buns the other day using brioche and froze them.  I took a couple out this morning, let them thaw a few minutes and put then on Bake/Steam at 300F for 6 minutes.  Perfect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, TdeV said:

If only I had room on the counter for another device!

You can do it.  Thank me later.  The problem may be finding one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 5/28/2017 at 5:05 PM, Shelby said:

I make Walter Sands' Basic White Bread and Grandma's French Bread  exclusively in the CSO (mainly because my oven has become more of a storage place for my cast iron and I don't like moving everything out) and I proof both in the CSO.  The white bread I proof at 100F for about 25 mins and the French bread at 100F for about 15 mins.  I've never had a flat loaf.  

Edited to add that I don't think I've ever used bread flour--I always use all purpose.  

@Shelby I'm thinking about baking one (or both) of these recipes in the CSO... does the full batch fit in the CSO? Do you still use these recipes? What size loaf pans do you use for the Walter Sands' Basic White Bread? Any further hints, tips, modifications for these or other bread recipes to try in the CSO?

Sorry for all the questions!!!

Of all the functions I've tried, the only one I find less than useful is broil.  It seems to take forever to do anything.  And yet that same element will burn the top of my bread in a minute!

Made the ATK American Sandwich Bread today doing the 2nd rise and baking in the CSO.  I remembered to cover the bread after it browned this time, so I got a really nice looking loaf:

IMG_1703.jpg.338b3e352f153ea780d4e8b7b8ff55f5.jpg

IMG_1712.jpg.4ccf243cd5767bb4bf1ddd02c1a84678.jpg

• Like 7

I wanted to warn y’all about something dangerous that happened last night with the CSO.  I was cooking a casserole that was on the rack.  The rack was in the middle position.  I was wearing only one Ove-glove (my stupidity) and slid the rack out halfway to see if the casserole was hot enough.  The rack doesn’t stay completely level (again, my stupidity) and the casserole was full (and HOT) and so it slid forward very fast.  I just managed to catch it and stop it from flying off with my gloved hand.  But, for some reason, the rack wouldn’t just slide back in.  And my other hand was unprotected, so I couldn’t really do anything except hold it with the gloved hand.  Thank goodness Mr. Kim was home and came to my rescue.  This is what it looked like:

IMG_1743.jpg.b53bc9ea8c30a0632c9c1404318c9ed0.jpg

I don’t think there is any ‘fix’ for it, but being cautious and aware should help.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I have been curious about the Broil Steam setting.

I cut medium carrots lengthwise into quarters then the lengths in half.  They were tossed in oil, salt and pepper.  Put them in at 450f for 12 minutes.  They were perfectly cooked with some browning on them.  Next time I would cut them thicker so I can roast them for longer to get more browning.

anyone using this setting?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I cut medium carrots lengthwise into quarters then the lengths in half.  They were tossed in oil, salt and pepper.  Put them in at 450f for 12 minutes.  They were perfectly cooked with some browning on them.  Next time I would cut them thicker so I can roast them for longer to get more browning.

Misread the method.  I thought it said bake/steam.  I will have to try the broil/steam, though.  I'd love to hear more about what people are using it for, too!

Edited by Kim Shook (log)

15 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I love it for roasting peppers -- not an original idea, someone upthread suggested it, but it's close to miraculous for that.

I *think* that's also what I've used to good effect for eggplant.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, KennethT said:

lately I do chicken thighs with a hybrid method... 425 bake steam for 12 minutes with rack on lowest position, then raise rack and 425 steam broil for an extra 7 min. perfect

Thank you.  Is that for boneless or bone-in?

Used some of my precious flour supply to try making the Grandma's French Bread from the Sister's Cafe that @Shelby has posted about a few times. While the bread is quite tasty, I am definitely way out of practice for making bread. Not the prettiest of loaves but the first bread I have baked in my CSO.

IMG_5957-bread-cso.jpg.171e79bb5f26a20f2cdf914b60c59552.jpg

separating the blobs

IMG_5959-bread-cso.jpg.d555b9c4bdc8f6babc2ea59fbec3d6a5.jpg

crumb shot followed by sampling with a nice bit of lightly salted butter

IMG_5964-bread-cso.jpg.e08fbb81e616165d764ed51dcd8fffef.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

8 minutes ago, Hassouni said:

Go for it!  You won't be sorry.  BTW and off topic, Mr. Kim and I were planning a trip to NOVA before the world fell apart and were going to come to the Green Zone.  We still plan on it.  Hope things are well with you!

• Like 1

Surviving and virus-free so OK on the scheme of things. Can't wait to reopen and welcome you! Shoot me a message when the time comes.

Similarly some friends and I were planning a trip to Richmond to hang with some rum rascals down there

Edited by Hassouni (log)
  • Like 1

On 4/15/2020 at 5:23 AM, KennethT said:

bone-in / skin on...  I like what the broil does for the skin - makes it a bit crispier than steam bake by itself

I like the hybrid method. Mine's similar but differs in the details: smallish skin-on bone-in thighs steam-baked at 275 for 25 min (probably a bit too long), then broiled (rather than steam-broiled) for however long it took.  Result was crispy skin, flesh fairly moist (but red near the bone on one).  Method and times need perfecting.  Chicken thighs vary in size, so ideally the instructions would say steam bake at X temp until the internal temp is Y, then broil.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/14/2020 at 1:38 PM, Okanagancook said:

Gonna try this tonight with carrots and parsnips :)

7 hours ago, KootenayCook said:

Gonna try this tonight with carrots and parsnips :)

OK, here is the result. The CSO was set to 500 steam broil. The rack was set to its highest position. The first pic is before they went into the CSO. The second pic is at the end of 10-12 min. (Sorry, I didn't keep proper track of time.) In the middle, I transferred them all to the oil/salt/pepper bowl and drained the liquid from the CSO tray. When I put them back in the tray, I made sure that the pieces were flipped so that any browning was on the bottom. The carrots were fine: firm in parts, but cooked. The parsnips could probably have done with a minute or two longer. They were OK, but a little crunchy at the core. Ms Kootenay thought they were underdone.

IMG_3268.thumb.JPG.07cd07ab05d6899a13dcd9219bfe2a66.JPGIMG_3270.thumb.JPG.fab8a83d6a625b034d0aec5a2f480ccd.JPG

• Like 4