• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

@Shelby

sounds really good.   Ive forgotten I have some Penzey' Buttermilk salad dressing mix  ( dry )

Ill have to find it and bring it out.   Penzey's has some fine  ( dry ) salad dressing mixes

which ive forgotten about.  in the past Ive rehydrated them w 1 T of water then mixed result im Hellman's

and had some fine creamy dressings.

do you peel your russets  ' on purpose ?'

next time try 1/2 peeled the other 1/2 not and cook both as above and

see if yoo can taste any difference .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby

sounds really good.   Ive forgotten I have some Penzey' Buttermilk salad dressing mix  ( dry )

Ill have to find it and bring it out.   Penzey's has some fine  ( dry ) salad dressing mixes

which ive forgotten about.  in the past Ive dehydrated them w 1 T of water then mixed result im Hellman's

and had some fine creamy dressings.

do you peel your russets  ' on purpose ?'

next time to 1/2 peeled the other 1/2 not and cook both as above and

see if yoo can taste any difference .

These particular taters had seen better days and needed to be peeled.  Next time I'll try with skin :) 

I learned something.  I can't use my DeLonghi and the CSO at the same time, it trips the 20 amp breaker.  I just want my dinner.

(Though I must confess I was most relieved the CSO had not burned out.)

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I learned something.  I can't use my DeLonghi and the CSO at the same time, it trips the 20 amp breaker.  I just want my dinner.

(Though I must confess I was most relieved the CSO had not burned out.)

Do you not have one electrical outlet in your kitchen that has a dedicated breaker?  

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Do you not have one electrical outlet in your kitchen that has a dedicated breaker?  

Beats me, but I don't have much choice of where I plug things in.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...

I learned yesterday, that size counts.

I don't often bake Home-style white loaves.  I should have made three smaller loaves instead of two larger loaves.

5a982a6eb2ac7_HomeStyleWhiteBreadFebruary28th2018.thumb.jpg.a67a7db5fed2ce541fea2f22e23ec591.jpg

Lots of oven spring and the crust was touching the burners so I slide a knife just under the crust so it deflated slightly.  

Not pretty.  Also reduced the temperature and slide a piece of foil over the top for some of the bake.

5a982a79c2e2a_HomeStyleWhiteBreadslicedMarch1st2018.thumb.jpg.d73d0ee333a2bb22c12b642764047ef0.jpg

Sliced this morning for breakfast.

• Like 4

@Ann_T, if you don't mind sharing, what recipe did you use for your sandwich bread? I'm always looking for one that checks off all the boxes for me...

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 hours ago, Ann_T said:

I learned yesterday, that size counts.

I don't often bake Home-style white loaves.  I should have made three smaller loaves instead of two larger loaves.

5a982a6eb2ac7_HomeStyleWhiteBreadFebruary28th2018.thumb.jpg.a67a7db5fed2ce541fea2f22e23ec591.jpg

Lots of oven spring and the crust was touching the burners so I slide a knife just under the crust so it deflated slightly.  

Not pretty.  Also reduced the temperature and slide a piece of foil over the top for some of the bake.

5a982a79c2e2a_HomeStyleWhiteBreadslicedMarch1st2018.thumb.jpg.d73d0ee333a2bb22c12b642764047ef0.jpg

Sliced this morning for breakfast.

Bread looks sooooooo good.  I want a BLT.

My brain is fried today and I need help.

Anyone reheated fried chicken in the CSO?  I'm thinking this is the best appliance out of what I have to use.  Guesses on which setting....time and temp?  Ronnie went to the big city and brought home a huge treat--Popeye's chicken.  I can't wait.  

36 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Bread looks sooooooo good.  I want a BLT.

My brain is fried today and I need help.

Anyone reheated fried chicken in the CSO?  I'm thinking this is the best appliance out of what I have to use.  Guesses on which setting....time and temp?  Ronnie went to the big city and brought home a huge treat--Popeye's chicken.  I can't wait.  

Get an airfryer

• Haha 1

@Shelby

For sure the CSO is the route to go. 

Here !   But I didn’t record the time or temperature but I’m almost certain it was on bake steam around 325 or 350 for 10 or so minutes.  I was amazed. 

Edited to add

The post calls it the BSO but if you go further you will see I corrected it to the CSO. There’s no BSO up in Manitoulin!

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@Shelby

For sure the CSO is the route to go. 

Here !   But I didn’t record the time or temperature but I’m almost certain it was on bake steam around 325 or 350 for 10 or so minutes.  I was amazed. 

Edited to add

The post calls it the BSO but if you go further you will see I corrected it to the CSO. There’s no BSO up in Manitoulin!

Thank you Thank you  Thank you!!!

I KNEW I remembered a reheat of fried chicken!!!  

Ok...going to go your way.

The best advice online I had found was just in an oven at a low temp like 250F for 20 mins or so.   

Anna you are a life saver :x

4 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Thank you Thank you  Thank you!!!

I KNEW I remembered a reheat of fried chicken!!!  

Ok...going to go your way.

The best advice online I had found was just in an oven at a low temp like 250F for 20 mins or so.   

Anna you are a life saver :x

It is possible they are correct. Here is the table I made up in Manitoulin. 

Edited to add the first line would be the relevant one

B0A4B5F3-B449-4B33-89F8-278435D4EC90.png

Edited by Anna N (log)

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

My thinking is like sous vide.....I don't want to heat the chicken up higher than it was fried in the first place......I'm going with lower and slower.  I will report back.  I truly appreciate the help.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

It has been quite a while since I last roasted a whole chicken. Chickens were on special at my grocery store yesterday and this one cost me in the region of $7.00.  It would normally have been about $15. There was no question in my mind but that it would be roasted in the CSO.179A286E-1E7C-47DB-A923-E92E75B924EB.thumb.jpeg.febf690c301d24e00db4673be051fd6e.jpegAE80F9FA-1261-4255-B88A-A456CFE565B2.thumb.jpeg.de0c300a289258d508642e466c868c75.jpeg 

I did it by the book. Steam bake 450°F for about 45 minutes. I did turn it front to back at about the 20 minute mark and tinted it with some foil. I cooked it without the rack in the baking pan that comes with the oven.  If I had put my brain in gear I would’ve lined the pan with foil. Now I have the joy of cleaning it up. :(

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

drain off the fat

give the pan a like wash w soapy water to remove a little more fat

and put it back in the CSO

and Steam Clean it !

works like a charm

Edited by rotuts (log)

36 minutes ago, rotuts said:

drain off the fat

give the pan a like wash w soapy water to remove a little more fat

and put it back in the CSO

and Steam Clean it !

works like a charm

Thanks.

Opted to deglaze it so I can use the resulting “flavour” in some chicken stock and a quick rinse in some soapy water and it came clean without any effort. 

Before I found these chickens on sale I had picked up an already cooked rotisserie chicken. This has given me an opportunity to compare. I don’t know if I will ever pick up a rotisserie chicken again except perhaps in an emergency (or if I’m lucky enough to be in Cosco). The chicken I roasted is head and shoulders above the dry and tasteless convenience one. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

I also don't buy rotisserie chicken.

the place I might get one only have them sitting under heating lights and that can't be good.

Im not a costco member , although I might be one for a brief time re getting a new cat.

however , the time and cost of going to Costco

would allow me to buy a FnacyPants chicken , not on sale 

then I might try that in the CSO.

Im fond of Vertical chicken on the weber w added smoke from a pellet smoker

• Like 1