• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

Just now, Ann_T said:

Rotuts, thanks.  I will look into both those pans. 

Blue_dolphin,  thank you.  Either of these would be perfect.   I'm going into town today and will look at a couple of stores that carry Lodge.

If I have to I will order.  

You people can become enablers without even trying. xD

I am quite taken with those cast-iron pans which have been on my wish list for a very long time. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Exactly 

Im keen on this pan :

Lodge L8SKL Cast Iron Pan, 10.25", Black

here are the dimensions from Amazon :

5a1c3f0333a6d_CIP.jpg.3227600a255063bd10695117de56f03e.jpg

does anyone have this pan for a ' fit check ?' '

you would have to turn the handles 45 0  

but I don't see that as a problem

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted Amazon link (log)
  • Like 1

I think that should work Rotuts.  I just put my cast iron skillet in on the diagonal and it just misses by 1".  It is 15 1/2" to the end of the handle.  So I would think that

anything under 14" would be okay.  The skillet itself is 10".

Edited by Ann_T (log)

I am thinking it should work for bread in the CSO

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

I also0 use brits water.

On the original machine

the 2d generation machine which has some sort of gizmo or drain in the back , spends its time in the OnDeck circle

Ive never heard a beeping sound nor every got any messages.

it can't hurt to do the de-Cal

if you do let us know what happens.

I did the decalcification last night before steam baking my turkey breast.  It was very easy to do.  Just took some time.  Don't forget to empty the water tray sometime during the process.  I did the turkey for about an hour and a half and I didn't get any beeps telling me my full tank was empty so I think it was a success.

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I have an 8" cast iron skillet that fits in the CSO.  It's 14" with the handle so it has to go on the diagonal and I usually rotate it for more even cooking. 

There are some cast iron skillets with two loop handles that should fit.  Like this or this.

I have a memory of someone here recommending another sort of cast iron pan for the CSO but I can't seem to find it.  Maybe someone else will remember.

I bought the 10.25".  Thank you BD!

29 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Anna, I thought of you when I saw this pan.  I don't do many loaf breads but I'm thinking I might need this one too.

5a1c5bb5b697a_BreadPan.thumb.JPG.63980771c3f3e407438b311d926c92bc.JPG

Nah. Not for me, but thank you. I have enough trouble lifting cast-iron and I don’t think it does anything more for a loaf of bread than an ordinary loaf pan (except maybe on a campfire). But for an artisan-type boule, cast-iron pan would work great.  Allows me to keep my cast-iron to a minimum.  It would also make a great roasting pan for almost anything. Are use my 8 inch cast-iron pan in the Brevillev but it will not fit in the CSO. 

My 2004 eG Blog

I lucked out. 

5a1c637f67f90_SteamOvenNovember27th2017.thumb.jpg.50171ed18a08f09c27bee2116ac6e505.jpg

I put the rack in the lower position and my cast iron skillet just fits.   

5a1c632882e80_SteamOvenNovember27th20171.thumb.jpg.dea7c3a6e527ca939acf72fad5df214a.jpg

It is 15 1/2 to the tip of the handle but on the angle it just clears the door.

5a1c6332cbb34_SteamOvenNovember27th20172.thumb.jpg.898efdae654497a4f7558f9a3a49ffa2.jpg

I still want the 8" and the 10.25" .  So I think I will go ahead and order those.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

I lucked out. 

imageproxy.php?img=&key=d2a459cbdaa822cc5a1c637f67f90_SteamOvenNovember27th2017.thumb.jpg.50171ed18a08f09c27bee2116ac6e505.jpg

I put the rack in the lower position and my cast iron skillet just fits.   

5a1c632882e80_SteamOvenNovember27th20171.thumb.jpg.dea7c3a6e527ca939acf72fad5df214a.jpg

It is 15 1/2 to the tip of the handle but on the angle it just clears the door.

5a1c6332cbb34_SteamOvenNovember27th20172.thumb.jpg.898efdae654497a4f7558f9a3a49ffa2.jpg

I still want the 8" and the 10.25" .  So I think I will go ahead and order those.

Oh good!  It didn't occur to me that if you moved the shelf it might just fit.

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

wait until you see how easy it cleans up after a SteamClean.

I re-roasted a duck last night.  Steam clean going as we speak.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@Ann_T

that's great.

if you preheat the pan , on the stove or where ever

consider being careful that th handle does not touch the glass in the door

or it might shatter.

if you put a really hot pan in like this one in the CSB(O)

consider preheating the oven a bit so the glass heats up.

Im looking forward to mine.

I can see Jalepen(i)o cornbread w bacon fat in the mix and in the preheated CS vessel 

which Id do on the stove.

• Like 1

FC099931-B5BA-4D20-B73E-FC7BEB8EB1B1.thumb.jpeg.152ac70fe2caee726e2acdac8ff146c4.jpeg

D1159688-FE3B-42FA-942D-F8232E7344CA.thumb.jpeg.8b2b264d6768afe9c5f2395a3cf81e62.jpeg

Who knew? 14 1/4”  and it does clear the glass in the door. Does not change the fact that I’d like one of the ones referenced — without the handle!  

Edited by Anna N
To fix a couple of typos etc. (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

Oven mitts? Uh?   We haven’t done oven mitts in at least 20 yearsxD

It’s a Canadian-made pan but predates metric by quite a lot. 

Inside rim to rim on the upper edge it is 8 1/2 inches.  Cooking surface is 7 1/2 inches. 

My 2004 eG Blog

Tonight was a modernist boule in the CSO.  Very pretty, if browning not perfectly symmetrical.  Baked on the bottom of my Cuisinart chicken steamer.  I still can't believe how good was last night's CSO duck.  I only wish they made ducks slightly smaller or steam ovens slightly larger.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Have we come to any kind of consensus on the best setting/time/temp for bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs? In a tray, in a pan, on a rack?  (Paging @Anna N, @Ann_T, @rotuts, @Shelby)

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2