• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

My rule of thumb for reheating bread-based things is 5 minutes steam bake @350F. I might scrape off the pickled veggies and add them back after reheating, if that's practical.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I have no specific experience but a few minutes of steam bake circa 350-375 F. works for reheating bread or just about anything.

Steam is your friend.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I like Kenji's Hasselback Potato Gratin but it makes a lot and while the leftovers are good, that fact that I'm the only one eating them is not xD!

Last night, I scaled down the recipe ~ 6 oz of small potatoes (weighed after slicing), ~ 1.75 oz cream, 0.5 oz Comté, 0.25 oz Parm, small clove of garlic, thyme, S&P and baked in a 1 cup Pyrex custard cup.

I feared the small dish might dry out too fast so I used steam-bake on the CSO.  Temp = 400°F, first 20 min covered with foil, as directed in the recipe, then uncovered.  

Worked nicely and produced a nice crispy top and creamy potatoes.

IMG_6363.thumb.jpg.7e90ebe19844a1a89c1ff0417274e937.jpg

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

I like Kenji's Hasselback Potato Gratin but it makes a lot and while the leftovers are good, that fact that I'm the only one eating them is not xD!

Last night, I scaled down the recipe ~ 6 oz of small potatoes (weighed after slicing), ~ 1.75 oz cream, 0.5 oz Comté, 0.25 oz Parm, small clove of garlic, thyme, S&P and baked in a 1 cup Pyrex custard cup.

I feared the small dish might dry out too fast so I used steam-bake on the CSO.  Temp = 400°F, first 20 min covered with foil, as directed in the recipe, then uncovered.  

Worked nicely and produced a nice crispy top and creamy potatoes.

IMG_6363.thumb.jpg.7e90ebe19844a1a89c1ff0417274e937.jpg

When one is baking with steam is it really necessary to cover a dish with foil?

Just now, JoNorvelleWalker said:

When one is baking with steam is it really necessary to cover a dish with foil?

I wondered about that.  In this case, when cooking starts, the cream is all at the bottom of the dish and the upper heating element in the CSO is fairly close to the top of the potato slices so I thought it might be a good idea to use it to shield them a bit from the direct heat. 

• Like 3

On 11/17/2017 at 3:45 PM, Anna N said:

Do report back. I am interested in how it works. There is a recipe for the buns in Modernist Bread and I intend to attempt them at some point. 

Report:

I picked up the banh mi from the restaurant at about 11:30, and transported them home as they were wrapped. I could feel a bit of warmth through the bag, so I didn't want to stick them in the cooler with the rest of the cold stuff I'd shopped for. When I got home, they felt sufficiently cooled to go in the refrigerator.

My husband gave me the 20-minute warning at about 4:50. At that point, I took the bag of sandwiches out of the refrigerator and started the Breville XL (not the CSO) heating to 375. The bag itself was just a regular plastic grocery bag, with the handles tied together so the sandwiches didn't knock against one another. Inside, each sandwich was in a small paper bag, underneath that wrapped in a sheet of plain uncoated paper.

Following the directions from the link, I unwrapped each sandwich and removed the sprigs of cilantro. I also removed the rings of jalapeno that were outside the bread. I then rewrapped the sandwich in its paper (but didn't bother with the bag), put it on a small plate, and microwaved it for 40 seconds on full power. I repeated with the second sandwich. From there, I unwrapped the sandwiches, placed them on a foil-covered quarter sheet pan, and covered them with another pan (one small enough to fit inside the CSO, but not a disposable pan because I don't keep those on hand). The sandwiches were snuggled rather closely under the pan. They went into the preheated oven just as my husband walked in the door. He had enough time to change out of his work clothes and give the cats some attention before the 10-minute timer went off.

At that point, I took the tray out of the oven, carefully lifted the lid, and gave a sandwich a gentle squeeze. It crackled, so I declared them done. I moved them onto separate plates, and we each dressed our own with the cilantro and jalapenos. I got the extra cilantro. Nobody wanted the extra jalapenos.

It was a success. I'm hoping to talk a friend into joining me for lunch after we play hockey on Tuesday morning, so I can actually try one fresh and see how well the reheated version compares!

• Like 5

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Nice. Thank you for reporting back. Now if only I remember this link when I come to make my buns from MB.xD

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

20 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Use Evernote:B

Gave up on that!  

• Sad 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I hope so

however

this might be a sort of oven 

independently of it size

that is to  sophisticated or complicated for the average buyer

Im guessing it moved slowly at BB&B and W-S

they have not given it shelf space for a long long time in their stores 

Cambi-Ovens are so much better than a dry oven

so we will see.

the Anova Group is probably still in Bora-Bora and the Tovela well ?

even the very expensive Miele Induction top / electric oven had plumbed in water

for baking Spritzers

but not full Combi

Europe is way ahead of USA on this 

for home use.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I hope so

however

this might be a sort of oven 

independently of it size

that is to  sophisticated or complicated for the average buyer

Im guessing it moved slowly at BB&B and W-S

they have not given it shelf space for a long long time in their stores 

Cambi-Ovens are so much better than a dry oven

so we will see.

the Anova Group is probably still in Bora-Bora and the Tovela well ?

even the very expensive Miele Induction top / electric oven had plumbed in water

for baking Spritzers

but not full Combi

Europe is way ahead of USA on this 

for home use.

Makes me want to buy about 3 more.  I cannot function with my Steam Boy.

11 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I was looking up the CSO for a friend and noticed on Amazon that it says it's been discontinued :o

Maybe they are making a bigger one?

I'm not sure if discontinued is accurate.  That listing is for the CSO-300N, Cuisinart.com has the CSO-300 discontinued, but has the CSO-300N1 on the regular part of the site with no listing of just the N. If the N1 is a newer version, it unfortunately does not appear to have an increased capacity (I admit to sometimes longing for the french door Oster largely because of its size). I do find it interesting that the click through merchants do not include Amazon, although that might not mean anything as they don't hi light a link to Amazon for another oven I know is carried there either. 

https://www.cuisinart.com/products/toaster_ovens/cso-300n1.html

• Like 1

Hmmmmmm.......  well, I truly hope they continue making them.

Ronnie just told me to buy another one if they truly are discontinued.   That is a high endorsement coming from he-who-is--very-thrifty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A few minutes late as usual, though I too noticed the discontinued model is the CSO-300N whereas the current model on the Cuisinart site is the CSO-300N1.

Strange that we cannot find the CSO-300N1 on amazon?

Edit:  worse, both amazon and Cuisinart interchange/mix up the specifications, images, and model numbers of the CSO-300, the CSO-300N, and the CSO-300N1.  If you download the CSO-300N1 manual from the Cuisinart site it turns out to be the manual for the CSO-300.

Hopefully amazon will get the CSO-300N1 back in stock.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

Woe , Much Woe

to Breville

for not making a Combi-Oven

maybe there is not much extra water Down-Under ?

BV Air Combi would be nice

it could me dumb  and not Smart

if it was a version of the CSB(O)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@ElsieD 

is that air fryer this :

af.jpg.187f8f6fef1b135493a56b5d33a3a792.jpg

odd its has analog dials.

no complaints if it works

well.

""  cheapa , betta "

It looks liken it although they call it Air Fryer Convection  not toaster oven.

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

Nice. Thank you for reporting back. Now if only I remember this link when I come to make my buns from MB.xD

Note it down in your @rotuts Commemorative Notebook!

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

I was looking up the CSO for a friend and noticed on Amazon that it says it's been discontinued :o

Maybe they are making a bigger one?

That would be well and truly disastrous. Of all the small electrics I've purchased because of this group, the CSO is the one I use the most and the one I could least well live without.

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

Hmmmmmm.......  well, I truly hope they continue making them.

Ronnie just told me to buy another one if they truly are discontinued.   That is a high endorsement coming from he-who-is--very-thrifty.

I'll be in the checkout line right behind you.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

9 minutes ago, kayb said:

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

Note it down in your @rotuts Commemorative Notebook!

I would have if only I could find the one with the red cover. Apparently that’s important.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog