Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)


JoNorvelleWalker
 Share

Recommended Posts

I used Peter Reinhart's Napoletana pizza dough recipe. https://www.fornobravo.com/pizzaquest/recipe-neapolitan-pizza-dough/

 

It was in the fridge for most of the afternoon. I broke off a chunk and put in on the counter top for 1 1/2 hours.  I oiled the pan; spread out the dough to a thin layer (I think it was a little too thin because the flat bread was quite crispy all the way through); put some oil on the top followed by some garlic scape pesto from the freezer; Aleppo pepper and black pepper.  Baked at the highest convection bake setting for about 13 minutes.  Really fast and economical.....didn't have to heat up the big oven for one little flat bread.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Cross posting from Holiday Roast cook off.  Five hour duck.  Pierced all over with fork, rubbed with kosher salt.  300 degrees steam baking breast side up for the first hour produce copious amounts if duck fat, 250 degrees bake for three hours turning the duck over every hour, 350 degrees bake for the last hour.  The best slow roasted duck I ever made!

 

image.jpg

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chefmd said:

Cross posting from Holiday Roast cook off.  Five hour duck.  Pierced all over with fork, rubbed with kosher salt.  300 degrees steam baking breast side up for the first hour produce copious amounts if duck fat, 250 degrees bake for three hours turning the duck over every hour, 350 degrees bake for the last hour.  The best slow roasted duck I ever made!

 

How much did this duck weigh, if you remember? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@chefmd

 

 I have made that recipe a number of times and it does make one fabulous duck. 

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, FauxPas said:

 

How much did this duck weigh, if you remember? 

It was six pounds.  I trimmed all extra fat and skin prior to roasting and rendered it on the stove top.  The dish that duck is in fits in CSO just barely. It is one of the older Emile Henry pieces.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Dyson humidifier says to rinse parts of the machine and the water tank with a mild solution of citric acid (30 grams/litre).  This would likely be safer than a bleach solution.  Perhaps one could use a vinegar preparation but I don't know the specifics of that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Purchase a carp?

 

 

 

:P

 

3 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

My Dyson humidifier says to rinse parts of the machine and the water tank with a mild solution of citric acid (30 grams/litre).  This would likely be safer than a bleach solution.  Perhaps one could use a vinegar preparation but I don't know the specifics of that.

Hmmm.   I was going to suggest she stop trying to save space and put the damn goldfish back in the goldfish bowl.

  • Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

My Dyson humidifier says to rinse parts of the machine and the water tank with a mild solution of citric acid (30 grams/litre).  This would likely be safer than a bleach solution.  Perhaps one could use a vinegar preparation but I don't know the specifics of that.

 

The CSO manual calls for a vinegar solution for decalcification so I don't think vinegar would hurt the unit.  Vinegar might be bad for the goldfish though.

 

  • Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I have been given a lovely piece of venison back strap. It is currently marinating in red wine. olive oil, juniper berries and various other stuff. Given how lean venison is I think that steam roasting may be the way to go. Has any one had experience cooking venison is their CSO? @Shelby? Anyone?

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, ElainaA said:

I have been given a lovely piece of venison back strap. It is currently marinating in red wine. olive oil, juniper berries and various other stuff. Given how lean venison is I think that steam roasting may be the way to go. Has any one had experience cooking venison is their CSO? @Shelby? Anyone?

Back strap= lovely steaks.  Slice them thick and butterfly them.  Get a cast iron pan searing hot.  Sear them quickly ....venison is best rare.  2 mins on each side to start and you can cook them more from there to your liking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@gfweb Thanks for the suggestion but I don't have sous vide equipment so that's out.

 

@Shelby  That's just how my mother cooked venison steaks - except as I remember she went more for medium well done. I guess I'll stick to the traditional... but stop much sooner.

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 1

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@ElainaA  

 

like to see how they turn out.   Ive only had venison once in Germany.

 

some sort of BlackForrest Buck.

 

I have had Elk in Colorado many times     the Elk was delicious , properly cooked rare and surprisingly tender.  very mellow flavor.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I tried to buy a CSO from BB&B in mid-December.  Not available in my local stores but easy to order online, no problem applying a 20% coupon.  On the day when delivery was likely I received an email:

"Thank you for your recent order with Bed Bath & Beyond.  We regret to inform you that the Cuisinart Steam and Convection Oven has been canceled from your order as it is no longer available for purchase." 
I gave up on it for the Christmas shopping.  This week I tried again.  It's still on the BB&B website but I called the customer service # from the email to make sure I wasn't going to have a Groundhog Day experience.  The hold music is quite annoying but eventually I was connected to a very helpful human.  She was able to to tell me that they are getting some more into their warehouses and I should be able to order one by the end of February.  Why does the website say "in stock"?  Who knows?  "Yes, if you place that order now it will just get canceled again."

 

Once upon a time there was a simple Black and Decker toaster oven that was reasonably priced ($29?--probably less, way less than $200), toasted well enough and served a long time.  Eventually it wore out; the next generation didn't work as well and didn't last nearly as long.  After that we were seduced by a large, dark and handsome (and expensive) Krups machine that toasted pretty well; unfortunately, there seems to be an inverse relationship between price and lifespan.  Then began the era of obeying the (eGullet) voices in my head.  The first Breville XL had some early problem (lost to memory) and was replaced by BB&B.  The second is still doing its job, once you get it going, but the start button has become flaky.  I was going to make the CSO a gift to DH for Christmas, then for his January birthday....  

Since that's not going to happen, and the Breville button is hanging on for the time being, I guess I'll sit on my hands and hope that Cuisinart will answer our fantasy/prayers and introduce a model that will accommodate a 9x13 pan.  

Very frustrated!  Fern

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Fernwood said:

I tried to buy a CSO from BB&B in mid-December.  Not available in my local stores but easy to order online, no problem applying a 20% coupon.  On the day when delivery was likely I received an email:

"Thank you for your recent order with Bed Bath & Beyond.  We regret to inform you that the Cuisinart Steam and Convection Oven has been canceled from your order as it is no longer available for purchase." 
I gave up on it for the Christmas shopping.  This week I tried again.  It's still on the BB&B website but I called the customer service # from the email to make sure I wasn't going to have a Groundhog Day experience.  The hold music is quite annoying but eventually I was connected to a very helpful human.  She was able to to tell me that they are getting some more into their warehouses and I should be able to order one by the end of February.  Why does the website say "in stock"?  Who knows?  "Yes, if you place that order now it will just get canceled again."

 

Once upon a time there was a simple Black and Decker toaster oven that was reasonably priced ($29?--probably less, way less than $200), toasted well enough and served a long time.  Eventually it wore out; the next generation didn't work as well and didn't last nearly as long.  After that we were seduced by a large, dark and handsome (and expensive) Krups machine that toasted pretty well; unfortunately, there seems to be an inverse relationship between price and lifespan.  Then began the era of obeying the (eGullet) voices in my head.  The first Breville XL had some early problem (lost to memory) and was replaced by BB&B.  The second is still doing its job, once you get it going, but the start button has become flaky.  I was going to make the CSO a gift to DH for Christmas, then for his January birthday....  

Since that's not going to happen, and the Breville button is hanging on for the time being, I guess I'll sit on my hands and hope that Cuisinart will answer our fantasy/prayers and introduce a model that will accommodate a 9x13 pan.  

Very frustrated!  Fern

Amazon.com has some refurbished ones for a good price here. The CSO I have at work is a refurbished one - it was one of the newer models in one of the older boxes. Works beautifully.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Amazon.com has some refurbished ones for a good price here. The CSO I have at work is a refurbished one - it was one of the newer models in one of the older boxes. Works beautifully.

 

 

The refurbished ones appear to be version 1 not the current version.

 

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our version 1 up north has a sturdy pan.  

 

Not it sure I see a big difference in the drain valve.

 

Cleaning cycle is just super steam  so not totally necessary IMHO

 

So that said - I'd happily have a version 1

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...