• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

I believe I may have perfected roast sweet potato wedges in the CSO. These were farmers' market sweet potatoes; grocery store ones may cook a bit more quickly.

I peeled the potatoes and cut them in wedges. Tossed them in olive oil, lined them up on the foil-lined CSO baking pan, salted lightly. Steam-bake an hour at 350, then let them sit until shortly before we were ready to eat. Finished off with 15 minutes' convection bake at 450.

Crispy exterior, creamy inside. Just about perfect.

sunday roast pork dinner.jpg

Please forgive the horrible photo. The Kindle camera (my phone is on the fritz, and both cameras' batteries were down!) takes really poor quality shots.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 3lb 11 oz pork butt roast, boneless.

Using the recipe in Down South for a slow cook.

The recipes, which is for a 6 lb roast, says cook at 300F x 1 1/2 hrs until tender and caramelized.  Then reduce temp to 275, add water, cover and bake for 7 more hours until pork tender.

I want to do it in the CSO.

It just fits.

Thought I would use bake steam for an hour at 300F; add some water, cover and bake at 250F for about 4 to 5 hours.

How does that sound?

Thanks

pictures on the Amazon site for all three version seem identical in size.

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-Steam-Convection-Stainless-Steel/dp/B01JRT2WOG

if Cuisi made a larger oven version of the CSB   they would be stupid not to call it the CSO-400 or so.

I think there will be very little real into on the changes until current stock of the product is depleted.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

The pork butt roast was amazingly moist and tender. 

It 3lb 11 oz.  Rubbed with seasoning, placed on a bed of onions, and steam baked at 300F uncovered for one hour.

Covered it with foil, loosely, and steam baked for 4 more hours at 250F.

I had to take some of the juices out of the tray where the roast was because it was getting near overflowing.  Did that twice.  I had to empty the water catch tray three times and fill the water tank once.

It was possibly the best pork roast I had every had.  Our dinner guests said the same thing.  Sorry no pictures :-((

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

The pork butt roast was amazingly moist and tender. 

It 3lb 11 oz.  Rubbed with seasoning, placed on a bed of onions, and steam baked at 300F uncovered for one hour.

Covered it with foil, loosely, and steam baked for 4 more hours at 250F.

I had to take some of the juices out of the tray where the roast was because it was getting near overflowing.  Did that twice.  I had to empty the water catch tray three times and fill the water tank once.

It was possibly the best pork roast I had every had.  Our dinner guests said the same thing.  Sorry no pictures :-((

I would be hard-pressed to name my favorite portion of Our Friend The Pig, but the butt roast would surely be up there. I pulled one out of the freezer the other day, coated it in pastrami spice rub I had from a (failed) experiment, stuck it in a dutch oven, poured a bottle of beer around it, quartered an onion and shoved it down around the edges, and let it go in the oven at 300 for six hours.

It was sublime.

It was also too damn big for the CSO. I had pulled pork for AGES.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

IMG_3561.jpg

Made Dejah's fake mac and cheese - steamed the whole head in the CSO 400 F supersteam for 20 min. Assembled then baked in two containers in the CSO - convection bake 350 for 25 minutes. 

• Like 7

On 9/24/2016 at 6:46 AM, Anna N said:

I am kicking myself from walking away from a pan, very similar to yours but metal rather than silicon, in the thrift store last week.   I remarked how great it would be for small meat loaves but since I am not a meat loaf fan I couldn't see any reason to buy it.  Small loaves such as you are making would be perfect for a singleton such as me.  

I am thinking of getting something for baking in the Cuisi, maybe like this 4-cavity mini loaf panir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B0045Y17Q. Is that the type of thing you might like, @Anna N

ir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B0045Y17Q

7 hours ago, FauxPas said:

I am thinking of getting something for baking in the Cuisi, maybe like this 4-cavity mini loaf panir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B0045Y17Q. Is that the type of thing you might like, @Anna N

ir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B0045Y17Q

Yes, it looks to be although having found my mini loaf pans I don't think it is on my wish list now. Thank you. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Falltime! Finally I can go outside without asbestos underpants. Been doing some baking...

20161101_112848_001.jpg

Saatenbrot - German  Seedbread, just like Mutti used to bake.... uh, actually,...  used to buy from the german store for an ungawdly amount of money. No gluten (for those who care), amazing stuff, here's the recipe: 

https://www.mynewroots.org/site/2013/02/the-life-changing-loaf-of-bread/

I need a better loafpan, I baked this freeform. Convection, 40 mins or so.

Getting away from the healthy stuff, I put this in the oven (400 degrees, 15 mins convection):

20161030_142937.jpg

And out came THIS:

20161030_150723_001.jpg

Wife was happy, and forgave me for making German Caveman-Brot the day before. On the other hand, next time 13 minutes instead of 15, got a bit burnt on one edge. Still learning..... 

Edited by Saci Pererê (log)
  • Like 4

What is that last, @Saci Pererê? Quince slices in puff pastry?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@Smithy - Apples on puff pastry. Just apples, cut thru the equator. Picked out the seeds with the tip of my knife. 

I know that "any" toaster-oven can make the same thing, but I'm still amazed that I can do what for me is elaborate baking (I'm not a baker) without an entire production. 

Edited by Saci Pererê (log)
  • Like 2

I 've had my CSO for a few months now and everything has pretty much come out really well.....except for the cookies.  The bake much too fast and brown too much.  I've gone back to my conventional oven for them.  Probably operator error but I just get better, more consistent results that way.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lindag said:

I 've had my CSO for a few months now and everything has pretty much come out really well.....except for the cookies.  The bake much too fast and brown too much.  I've gone back to my conventional oven for them.  Probably operator error but I just get better, more consistent results that way.

I turn down the convection bake to 25 or 50º less than my recipes state for just that very reason.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

This morning's breakfast: Cinnamon toast, sans the cinnamon (just butter and sugar), from my oatmeal/whole wheat/flaxseed bread.

toast 1115.jpg

I've noticed something about the toast function on the CSO. If I'm toasting plain grocery store white sandwich bread, which I keep on hand to make grilled cheese sandwiches for the youngsters, I need to go no darker than 4 on the toast setting. This bread was set to 7, and barely showed a hint of crispness around the edges. What makes the difference? This is a very moist, heavy, hearty bread, and it's my assumption the texture and density are the defining factors. 

Anyone?

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

Sugar, or lack thereof, is the first place I'd look. A few years ago, I noticed that Thomas' English muffins didn't toast as brown as they used to. The change happened about the same time as when they removed high-fructose corn syrup from their recipe. I wondered if they didn't replace the HFCS with any other form of sugar, thus leading to the reduced browning in the toaster.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2