• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

I have 2 used ones and picking up another used one soon. Probably be used for parts, I believe the boiler is the first to go in these units. I wish there is a equivalent direct replacement somewhere we can buy. I have no idea who makes those boilers. I wish we can find the manufacturer.

• Like 2

On 2/22/2023 at 6:26 PM, gfweb said:

Looks like the 300n1 is discontinued but the 300n1C isn't. 

It looks like the N1C is the Canadian model? There's no listing for it on the US website. It does show as active and in stock on cuisinart.ca .

As for the Amazon listings, all of them seem to be obscure third-party resellers, so I'm not sure I would put much stock in whether Amazon in particular says it's discontinued.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dtremit said:

It looks like the N1C is the Canadian model? There's no listing for it on the US website. It does show as active and in stock on cuisinart.ca .

Yes, I think that is or was a Canadian model but was also offered by Amazon in the US, as one of mine was so labeled. There’s still a listing (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) but as you described, the sellers are all 3rd party. 

• 3 months later...

over on the TJ's thread

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/155097-trader-joes-products-2017–/page/43/#comment-2389904

Ive been taking advantage of the CSO as a sealed oven , conventional bake

to bake various frozen items longer than directed and at s slightly higher temp

as the items can get very crispy with out drying out.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

over on the TJ's thread

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/155097-trader-joes-products-2017–/page/43/#comment-2389904

In addition to using a slightly higher temp and longer time, I like to put frozen items like this on a pizza screen.  Minimizes or eliminates the need to turn things. 

This 11" diameter screen fits easily in the CSO: Winco 11 Aluminum Winware Inch Seamless Pizza Screen (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

I stumbled on something similar with some pre-made, individual potato gratins from Wegmans recently — have had them once or twice previously and they were good, but the day when I "overcooked" them they came out fantastic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

My CSO died today at the start of baking bread. The bread is fine, moved to the oven which was preheated sine I move my bread after it has steamed so the top of the loaf doesn’t burn.

The oven lights and clock don’t come on, it doesn’t produce heat or steam. 😞  The electrical outlet is working. Has anyone else had this problem? I’m hoping that my CSO can be fixed. Sadly, I did not purchase a spare CSO.

• Sad 5

15 minutes ago, curls said:

My CSO died today at the start of baking bread. The bread is fine, moved to the oven which was preheated sine I move my bread after it has steamed so the top of the loaf doesn’t burn.

The oven lights and clock don’t come on, it doesn’t produce heat or steam. 😞  The electrical outlet is working. Has anyone else had this problem? I’m hoping that my CSO can be fixed. Sadly, I did not purchase a spare CSO.

I've not had that happen but Amazon does still sell them

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I've not had that happen but Amazon does still sell them

Thank you Shelby. I did check Amazon and was happy to see that they are still available. If my CSO is really dead, I need to decide if I replace it with another CSO or get another brand of steam oven or combi oven. Definitely more available now than when the CSO first came out. I don’t like the software issues that I keep hearing about for the Anova precision oven — costs so much more too.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, curls said:

Thank you Shelby. I did check Amazon and was happy to see that they are still available. If my CSO is really dead, I need to decide if I replace it with another CSO or get another brand of steam oven or combi oven. Definitely more available now than when the CSO first came out. I don’t like the software issues that I keep hearing about for the Anova precision oven — costs so much more too.

I agree about the Anova....I feel like the simpler the machine, the less that can go wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, curls said:

Sadly, I did not purchase a spare CSO.

Bummer.  How old was it?

And was it common for people to purchase a spare one?

3 minutes ago, CookBot said:

Bummer.  How old was it?

I did.  I have two on my countertop and a new one in the box in the basement.  I love my CSOs.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I did.  I have two on my countertop and a new one in the box in the basement.  I love my CSOs. 

Wow.  That's devotion.  Is that because they're known to have short life expectancies, or just a hedge against discontinuation?   Have you had one crap out on you yet? 

18 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I currently have one on my countertop and two new ones in boxes in the garage. I also left one in the house we recently sold because the new owner REALLY wanted it. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, CookBot said:

Bummer.  How old was it?

I bought it in 2019. Until today, it has been perfect. 

Yes, a lot of folks on eGullet like to have backups of their favorite appliances. 

• Thanks 1

@CookBot 

I have three.

one after the other , on deep sale , of course 

the CSO opened up all sorts of new ways of cooking

which I was aware of in commercial restaurant and hotel kitchens .

Steam Baking.   and it made spectacular toast .

I felt a reliable set of back ups was well worth it , no matter what.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, curls said:

I wonder if it has just blown a fuse? TBH, I don't know if the machine has a fuse, but I'd assume it would.  If so, the next question would be why it blew teh fuse in the first place....

30 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I wonder if it has just blown a fuse? TBH, I don't know if the machine has a fuse, but I'd assume it would.  If so, the next question would be why it blew teh fuse in the first place....

Yes, I'm hoping it is something easy to fix. Will see if my husband can take it apart and find the problem.  In the meantime I'll do some internet searching.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, curls said:

My condolences!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still haven't had time to open up my broken CSO but found another one at a great price. Still hoping my original CSO can be repaired and then it will be my spare. This company in Canada has CSO's available at approximately $215 USD / $280 CDN - https://www.homecoffeesolutions.com/products/cuisinart-combo-steam-convection-oven-cso-300n1c?_pos=1&_sid=bb587864b&_ss=r

• Like 2