• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

2 hours ago, Edward Dekker said:

Looks like a hacksaw may solve the problem by trimming the tip of the handles.

With the L8SKL on the shelf in the bottom position is there enough height for the cover?

Has anyone tried the Lodge L8DD3 Double Dutch Oven in the CSO?

This model appears similar to the L8SKL but has loop handles on both sides of the lid and base.

I have a L8DD3 as well.  I haven't tried it for fit in the CSO (bought it for something else), but I suspect it would be too tall.  I'll try it when I get home.

• Thanks 1

After many days of sitting in her box on a table, I decided that my subconscious must be telling me to put her on my counter and use her instead of storing in the basement.  Ronnie made room in his man-garage for the Breville (sorry Breville...you were good to me....just think of it as new scenery and a new adventure).  Also got my new baking stone today.  

IMG_4796.JPG.6d04febd129b1206fcc0db2f226c3d70.JPG

IMG_4797.JPG.8079c627361c1218a113a1ecfec6a610.JPG

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

@Shelby

I don't have a Man-Garage

its full of stuff and has never seen a for  a billion years

it does have a Very Manly Toro snow-blower , electric start !

Sooooo

to be clear-ish

you might have Two CSO's dans le counter ?

sacre blue !

just hoping some one has done what Id have like to do !

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby

I don't have a Man-Garage

its full of stuff and has never seen a for  a billion years

it does have a Very Manly Toro snow-blower , electric start !

Sooooo

to be clear-ish

you might have Two CSO's dans le counter ?

sacre blue !

just hoping some one has done what Id have like to do !

Yep two CSO's on the counter.  The one on the left is the new girl, the one on the right is my reliable boy :)

IMG_4800.JPG.fcd3e8a8d54444b9822a330acadececa.JPG

IMG_4799.JPG.14d596e82abfd6fc6e6a7722fd561bec.JPG

I'm happier than a hog in slop.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

@Shelby

suprise.gif.50756443ce82d78c7e6b5714727894f6.gif

money-mouth.gif.87e63eb1a1f71127b96f17bdf092a336.gif

Sweet

so very sweet

glad you had a WireGuy(ette)

to get your Watts ann Amps in line

me

much sloth my way.

so .....

a pic or two of them both Steaming Away

en duet ?

now for CSO III

just saying

those Anova Swells

Bora-Bora

I don't think they can be further bothered 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Yep two CSO's on the counter.  The one on the left is the new girl, the one on the right is my reliable boy :)

IMG_4800.JPG.fcd3e8a8d54444b9822a330acadececa.JPG

IMG_4799.JPG.14d596e82abfd6fc6e6a7722fd561bec.JPG

I'm happier than a hog in slop.  

h'mmm. You reckon you might have little tiny CSO's one of these days?

• Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Yep two CSO's on the counter.  The one on the left is the new girl, the one on the right is my reliable boy

That new one is SO new and shiny-looking! 😮

Mine's still in the box, but I'm still thinking about bringing it out of the storage room. 

Will your baking stone be used mainly for bread, pizza? 

• Like 1

No No NO

this is a P , maybe a PG site at worst !

possibly a CSO-OB ++

twice as high  

internally  

[ed.:  can we say that here ?]

w a 1/4 ++  sheet pan  for the minimal inwards !

its not going to come from

ANOVA  Id bet.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

That new one is SO new and shiny-looking! 😮

Mine's still in the box, but I'm still thinking about bringing it out of the storage room. 

Will your baking stone be used mainly for bread, pizza? 

It is sooooo new.  Sigh.  It's hard to use it lol.

My boy is not a vegetarian, but I think my girl might be--strictly for bread, toast, veggies, etc....but that might change.  My new stove (also a girl named Venus) is a vegetarian ......

It's just so easy to keep clean with no grease spatter and having my first CSO (the boy) is great for meat with just two of us.  :) 

• Like 2

@Shelby , I REALLY like the idea of one for meat and one for non-meat! Just not sure I have the counter space for that. My first two CSO's are pretty disgusting, I'm afraid. Steam-clean doesn't get everything and some of the grease is cooked-on at this point. Not sure there is a way to really clean them up again. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

@Shelby , I REALLY like the idea of one for meat and one for non-meat! Just not sure I have the counter space for that. My first two CSO's are pretty disgusting, I'm afraid. Steam-clean doesn't get everything and some of the grease is cooked-on at this point. Not sure there is a way to really clean them up again. 

Yes, me too.  No matter how hard you scrub, after grease splatter it just won't be the same.  Which is fine.  But now that I have two..... You get what I'm saying :) 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Mine was pretty gunked up and I cleaned it up a week or 2 ago.  I kinda followed this How To Clean a Oven with Baking Soda method except that I skipped the vinegar.  I ran a steam cycle @ 210 °F for 30 min, then applied the paste of baking soda and water and let it sit overnight.  The next day,  just kept cleaning with a wet sponge and plastic scrub brush until I got it as clean as I could.  I used a razor blade to get everything off the glass on the door. Then I ran 2 more steam cycles.   I was actually afraid to try this until I had my back-up unit, just in case the baking soda messed something up but so far it's working fine.

It's not perfect, but not bad, as you can see in this photo I posted earlier today:

IMG_8113.thumb.jpg.753eb0802a0735492e72c2a5f99b64b0.jpg

IMG_8116.thumb.jpg.6a8f67ebf3b51e8c008cc23384d60128.jpg

You can see that I didn't clean the rack.

The only part that I didn't get super clean is the top (ceiling?) of the interior.  With 3 elements to work around, it was kind of a pain and I started to lose interest.  It's cleaner, but could be better.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, kayb said:

h'mmm. You reckon you might have little tiny CSO's one of these days?

Tiny CSO's are not the answer!

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

With the shelf on the bottom position there is space for the Lodge LCC3 Combo Cooker with its lid in place.

You'd need to cut off about an inch and a half or so of the handles, on a diagonal, to allow the CSO door to close.  

Too many models of Lodge!  I wondered if anyone had tried the L8DD3 some while back...

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/153705-cuisinart-combo-steamconvection-oven-part-3/?do=findComment&comment=2131233

No answer so far that I have seen.

Meanwhile I am still thinking about that $237 CSO price on amazon.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

20 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Mine was pretty gunked up and I cleaned it up a week or 2 ago.  I kinda followed this How To Clean a Oven with Baking Soda method except that I skipped the vinegar.  I ran a steam cycle @ 210 °F for 30 min, then applied the paste of baking soda and water and let it sit overnight.  The next day,  just kept cleaning with a wet sponge and plastic scrub brush until I got it as clean as I could.  I used a razor blade to get everything off the glass on the door. Then I ran 2 more steam cycles.   I was actually afraid to try this until I had my back-up unit, just in case the baking soda messed something up but so far it's working fine.

It's not perfect, but not bad, as you can see in this photo I posted earlier today:

You can see that I didn't clean the rack.

The only part that I didn't get super clean is the top (ceiling?) of the interior.  With 3 elements to work around, it was kind of a pain and I started to lose interest.  It's cleaner, but could be better.

I think you did a terrific job and I might try to do the same process. Thanks for the link and the details!  🙂

Ok, here is my research on the whole Lodge issue (for the ones I own, at least).

I own all three of these pans (see attached picture of all three side by side).

L8SKL 10.25 Inch Cast Iron Pan
https://shop.lodgemfg.com/skillets-and-covers/cast-iron-pan.asp
- we all know this fits in the CSO great!

LCC3 3.2 Quart Cast Iron Combo Cooker
https://shop.lodgemfg.com/deep-skillets/3-quart-cast-iron-combo-cooker.asp
- NEITHER top NOR bottom will fit in the CSO - the handles get in the way

L8DD3 5 Quart Cast Iron Double Dutch Oven
https://shop.lodgemfg.com/dutch-ovens/5-quart-cast-iron-double-dutch-oven.asp
- both the top and the bottom will fit separately in the CSO, but NOT together (see pics)

Fun fact: the top of the L8DD3 fits well as a lid for the L8SKL (see pic)

IMG_1260.JPG

IMG_1261.JPG

IMG_1262.JPG

IMG_1263.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/26/2018 at 4:56 PM, blue_dolphin said:

I have that Lodge combo cooker.  It's a very useful pot.  Good for baking bread in a regular oven. But it won't fit in a CSO.

Oh, yes, I didn't imagine it would be useful in the CSO. But it will see a lot of other use. I grabbed it while it was at a good price and with free shipping.

12 hours ago, jer_vic said:

Fun fact: the top of the L8DD3 fits well as a lid for the L8SKL (see pic)

jer_vic, it looks to me as though the lid of the L8DD3 essentially *is* an L8SKL. I this so? If true, buying the L8DD3 is cheaper at amazon.com.au than buying just a L8SKL.

With all these savings I could soon be in deeper poverty than ever 🙂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FlashJack said:

jer_vic, it looks to me as though the lid of the L8DD3 essentially *is* an L8SKL. I this so? If true, buying the L8DD3 is cheaper at amazon.com.au than buying just a L8SKL.

With all these savings I could soon be in deeper poverty than ever 🙂

Not exactly.  The L8DD3 lid is not quite as tall/deep, and it's shoulders are quite rounded, even more so than the lid of the LCC3, whereas the L8SKL sides/bottom are very much straight.  Could the lid of the L8DD3 substitute for the L8SKL?  Maybe, but I think it's going to really be a personal preference thing - the rounded shoulders would mean there is slightly less usable bottom space than the L8SKL.  I bought both the LCC3 and the L8DD3 for baking bread in my large oven, so the fact that the L8DD3 pieces fit in the CSO is just a bonus for me.  I bought the L8SKL specifically for the CSO, bread mainly, but it's getting used for more and more things.

I guess I would suggest try the L8DD3?  Esp. if you are baking larger loaves in the oven (1kg or a bit more), or just want a big, useful cast iron dutch oven.  If the lid doesn't work for you as well as you'd hoped, you would probably be able to "make do" until you got a smokin' deal on the L8SKL.

Lodge lists the dimensions of the L8SKL as 10.7"L x 12.8"W x 2"H

https://shop.lodgemfg.com/skillets-and-covers/cast-iron-pan.asp  (see the "Features" tab)

and the L8DD3 dimensions are here (some great pictures as well):

https://shop.lodgemfg.com/images/LCC3_Measurements.pdf

Edit:  Actually, looking at the measurements, the L8SKL and the L8DD3 lid are more similar than I originally thought....

• Like 1