• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

19 hours ago, kayb said:

I've used it for those kinds of things. Have eggplant canneloni in there baking as we speak. It takes a little longer than the microwave. I kept my microwave (the CSO sits atop it). I use it mostly for melting butter, and occasionally heating water or making instant noodles, etc.

Convection bake is a fine thing for crunchy snacks you might have once thought of deep frying.

The microwave is not going into retirement after all. It’s just so handy for heating water, cooking my DH’s frozen dinners and then there is Popcorn! 😋

• Like 1

BE736287-FC7E-4514-B9C6-96C7C50B53C4.thumb.jpeg.9fc56facde585b3c4564d41ad2391bec.jpeg

Bacon, Bacon, Bacon! Wright’s Applewood Smoked Thick Sliced - Convection Bake - 375F - 15 Minutes; the tray was added to the oven before the oven preheated and the slices were flipped when there was 5 minutes left on the timer. We shared one piece as an appetizer before using the rest in tonight’s dinner - Linguine alla Carbonara (posted on the Dinner topic)

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 3

Well that didn't last long.

This morning I went to Amazon Australia to seal the deal on a Lodge pan and lid only to find that the price of the pan had gone from $21 to $83 because Amazon was no longer the seller. (see screenshot)

Is it likely that Amazon is simply out of stock and that if I'm patient they will restock and the price will reset?

Jack

Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 85127 am.jpg

Edited by FlashJack (log)
  • Sad 1

That's weird.  It's still showing a USD price of $15.04 sold by Amazon and no warning about low stock on the US site.

Camelcamelcamel shows that there have been a few periods (the dotted lines) where Amazon didn't have the item but it's not showing it out of stock at the moment.

2101818585_Lodgepan.thumb.jpg.b9ae6e82ee2ba529853cfd9b3a579d72.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robirdstx said:

BE736287-FC7E-4514-B9C6-96C7C50B53C4.thumb.jpeg.9fc56facde585b3c4564d41ad2391bec.jpeg

Bacon, Bacon, Bacon! Wright’s Applewood Smoked Thick Sliced - Convection Bake - 375F - 15 Minutes; the tray was added to the oven before the oven preheated and the slices were flipped when there was 5 minutes left on the timer. We shared one piece as an appetizer before using the rest in tonight’s dinner - Linguine alla Carbonara (posted on the Dinner topic)

Why not steam bake?

Disclaimer:  steam bake is what I use for bacon...and for almost everything.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Why not steam bake?

Disclaimer:  steam bake is what I use for bacon...and for almost everything.

No particular reason, just testing to see if I could get same results as my non-convection conventional oven. Results were actually better - nicely crisp in a shorter cook time. Forgot to take photo of the final result. Next time.

PS - Used Steam Clean Function to clean up the splatter! Worked well!

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, FlashJack said:

Well that didn't last long.

This morning I went to Amazon Australia to seal the deal on a Lodge pan and lid only to find that the price of the pan had gone from $21 to $83 because Amazon was no longer the seller. (see screenshot)

Is it likely that Amazon is simply out of stock and that if I'm patient they will restock and the price will reset?

Jack

Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 85127 am.jpg

Typical, unfortunately.  Be patient if you can.  Not long ago I purchased a Paderno colander from amazon for $73.58.  Immediately afterward the price increased and is currently $154.84.

The GoSale.com site has reported good deals on the CSO over the last few weeks.

An offer for a new oven for $173 just expired an hour ago.

Gosale also alerted me to my unit on ebay ($132.49 including shipping.  I added the Assurant 1 year service contract for another $7.49.)

See https://www.gosale.com/5856938/cuisinart-cso-300n1-steam/

3 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

Anyone using distilled water in the reservoir? The instructions to periodically decalcify the unit got my DH and I talking as we have very hard water.

I use Mavea filtered water in my CSO.  I believe @rotuts also uses filtered water.  If cost is not an issue go with distilled water.

9 hours ago, robirdstx said:

Anyone using distilled water in the reservoir? The instructions to periodically decalcify the unit got my DH and I talking as we have very hard water.

I use a Brita pitcher to fill the reservoir--we have major minerals in our well water.  I've had to decalcify once--it kept telling me my reservoir was empty when it was completely full.  Somewhere on these threads I describe the process.  I'll see if I can find it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I use a Brita pitcher to fill the reservoir--we have major minerals in our well water.  I've had to decalcify once--it kept telling me my reservoir was empty when it was completely full.  Somewhere on these threads I describe the process.  I'll see if I can find it.

Thanks! Yes, I read about that. In fact, I have read the entire thread from start to finish over the last few days! Got lots of good tips and ideas! Have also found the instructions in the manual.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

That's weird.  It's still showing a USD price of $15.04 sold by Amazon and no warning about low stock on the US site.

Camelcamelcamel shows that there have been a few periods (the dotted lines) where Amazon didn't have the item but it's not showing it out of stock at the moment.

2101818585_Lodgepan.thumb.jpg.b9ae6e82ee2ba529853cfd9b3a579d72.jpg

:o  This chart is amazing.  

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

I also use Brita water.   it removes most of the calcium

Ive tested this w chem-strips as I use that same water in my espresso system.

Do you have a link for the strips?

I also used filtered water (minerals removed) in the CSO and my Jura Coffee Machine.

@robirdstxI posted a spreadsheet some time ago listing all the settings that had been used in the thread.  Here it is again with some updates, including your bacon.  The pizza reheat is amazing.

Convection-Steam Oven Cookery in Numbers Format.xlsx

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks, I am in the process of updating the chart.  Started on page one of the 'Part 3" thread.....currently on page 11 😫

Will post the updated file when done.  I am just taking posts with a clear outcome and simple procedures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@JoNorvelleWalker

search 

hach water quality test strips

https://www.hach.com/teststrips

the one for Calcium are  " total hardness "

this one :

https://www.amazon.com/Hach-2745250-Total-Hardness-Strip/dp/B007QQZL0U

Brita does a fine job of removing a huge amo0ut of Calcium

but is not allowed to market its filters as such

some sort of Graft and Corruption sponsored , maybe , by other water purifying firms

possible Culligan.   that was discussed here some time ago.   but I could be wrong about that.

amazon sells variants

• Thanks 1