• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 3:57 PM, FauxPas said:

I bought a backup unit when Best Buy Canada had them on sale a couple of months back. I might start using the new one and keep the old one as a backup. 

Saves cleaning...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Hello all,

Long-time reader, first time poster looking for some guidance.

It's funny reading how so many of you would like a backup CSO or a backup to the backup. My proper oven died and the CSO  has been my only oven for more than a year. I love it. I cook a lot but live alone and it does the job. Perhaps I need another in a box.

I've read with jealousy about the Lodge pan. Many things in Australia are more expensive than it the US. That pan is about $A80 here -- very expensive for cast iron. I could buy from Amazon at US prices but the conversion rate (AUD=.75USD) and shipping (cast=heavy) cancel out any savings.

So I have waited for this day. Amazon has just announced Prime in Oz. First month free, AUD5/month until the end of the year, then AUD7/month. It's about the same, or slightly cheaper, than in the US. I'm in.

Purchase No. 1 will be that pan.

Can some kind soul confirm that it is Lodge L8SKL Cast Iron Pan, 10.25", Black. https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B071VT8PL8/

I'd like a lid (plus I don't get free shipping unless the order is more than $49).

Would the  Lodge 10-1/4-Inch Cast-Iron Lid fit the pan and the CSO? https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B00008GKDH/

Apologies for making my first post a request for help. I'll contribute in future. At least I've introduced myself: Aussie, cook, CSO owner, skinflint.

Jack

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, FlashJack said:

Hello all,

Long-time reader, first time poster looking for some guidance.

It's funny reading how so many of you would like a backup CSO or a backup to the backup. My proper oven died and the CSO  has been my only oven for more than a year. I love it. I cook a lot but live alone and it does the job. Perhaps I need another in a box.

I've read with jealousy about the Lodge pan. Many things in Australia are more expensive than it the US. That pan is about $A80 here -- very expensive for cast iron. I could buy from Amazon at US prices but the conversion rate (AUD=.75USD) and shipping (cast=heavy) cancel out any savings.

So I have waited for this day. Amazon has just announced Prime in Oz. First month free, AUD5/month until the end of the year, then AUD7/month. It's about the same, or slightly cheaper, than in the US. I'm in.

Purchase No. 1 will be that pan.

Can some kind soul confirm that it is Lodge L8SKL Cast Iron Pan, 10.25", Black. https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B071VT8PL8/

I'd like a lid (plus I don't get free shipping unless the order is more than $49).

Would the  Lodge 10-1/4-Inch Cast-Iron Lid fit the pan and the CSO? https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B00008GKDH/

Apologies for making my first post a request for help. I'll contribute in future. At least I've introduced myself: Aussie, cook, CSO owner, skinflint.

Jack

Hello Jack!

Yes, I have the L8SKL Lodge pan and it fits.  I don't have the lid, though.  

You will love the Lodge pan.  I use mine a LOT.

50 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@Anna N Do my eyes deceive me or were you able to reheat the duck breast in the CSO without adversely affecting the doneness?

Pretty much. 350°F, steam/bake x 10 min. 

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On June 13, 2018 at 9:16 PM, kayb said:

@scubadoo97 -- Donate the toaster oven. Get the CSO. You will never look back and regret it. I probably use it more than any other small electric appliance in my kitchen, save the coffee maker, which gets used three or four times daily.

Okay, I'll bite.  Which model, 300 or 300N or are there others ???

47 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

Okay, I'll bite.  Which model, 300 or 300N or are there others ???

I believe there are three models that have been released in the US:  300, 300N, and 300N1.  The 300N added a drain plug and a dedicated steam clean function.  No idea what is really different between the 300N and 300N1.  The Canadian version also works in the US.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On June 13, 2018 at 9:16 PM, kayb said:

@scubadoo97 -- Donate the toaster oven. Get the CSO. You will never look back and regret it. I probably use it more than any other small electric appliance in my kitchen, save the coffee maker, which gets used three or four times daily.

Just ordered from Amazon Kay.   You were all very convincing 

• Like 3

of note :

300N1    also unclear what's in the " 1 " 

Home Depot of all places ( check your local before you motor down there )

has it for 245 USD

can't say about shipping

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cuisinart-Stainless-Steel-Steam-with-Convection-toaster-oven-CSO-300N1/302040148?exp=default_minimal&s_tnt=99573:1:0

called Cuisinart .  300N1 is the same as 300N

O.o

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

I finally found something that the CSO doesn't do well.

Roasted cauliflower.  It needs to brown and dry out a little, but even set to cook with the steam off the CSO is so well gasketed that the water from the cauliflower turns into steam and doesn't escape.

So the veg steam cooks anyway.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, rotuts said:

pairs nicely w an iPot.

just saying

Haha, I'm sure.   Still no big desire for an iP.  Have a stove top unit and know how to use it.  For the type of cooking I do most often it's not needed.   I take too much pleasure in the actual process of cooking.  

There really is something to watching the transformation from initial ingredients to the final dish that's satisfying.  

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

Haha, I'm sure.   Still no big desire for an iP.  Have a stove top unit and know how to use it.  For the type of cooking I do most often it's not needed.   I take too much pleasure in the actual process of cooking.  

There really is something to watching the transformation from initial ingredients to the final dish that's satisfying.  

Yup, exactly.

CSO>>>IP

I have an IP and never use it. My stovetop PC is faster and bigger...I use it for stock mainly.

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

I finally found something that the CSO doesn't do well.

Roasted cauliflower.  It needs to brown and dry out a little, but even set to cook with the steam off the CSO is so well gasketed that the water from the cauliflower turns into steam and doesn't escape.

So the veg steam cooks anyway.

I'm safe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

Soooo ...

you enjoy watching your PC transform stuff into stock ?

Id rather spend the time studying Personal Beverages

Unknown-1.jpeg.66637f6fd2a7a3d339e61e85ad628b5c.jpeg

just saying

Outside of legumes and stock making, I don’t use a pressure cooker a lot.  

Just now, Shelby said:

My new CSO just got here.  She's a girl.  Now to decide whether to keep her in the box, or let her out on the counter........

Mine is scheduled for delivery by 8:00 tonight! Planning to start with chicken thighs, then steam some veggies.

• Like 1

I am planning to retire my microwave, toaster oven and toaster when my CSO arrives. However,  my husband makes the occasional Marie Calendar’s Pot Pie and Stouffer’s Lasagna in the microwave and he is concerned about the time it takes to cook in a conventional oven. The boxes for these products say not use in a toaster oven. Since the CSO is so much more, I’m not concerned with that, but has anyone used the steam bake for these products? If so, how long did you cook it? 

Edited by robirdstx (log)