• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

10 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Welcome to eGullet @jer_vic

Forget the "bread" setting.  Follow the method on page 5-297, the one called "Fancy Steam Toaster Oven".  The method seems counter-intuitive but it really works.  Though rather than using the CSO supplied stainless steel pan some of us have been having great success using a Lodge L8SKL cast iron pan.  The L8SKL just fits in the CSO.  On these pages you may see the L8SKL referred to as L-CSO.

I can't help with the dripping steam.  Possibly your unit is defective?

Thanks, I will check into that MB reference.  That is relatively new to me as well, so I haven't worked through it all yet.  I've been looking at the L8SKL.  Haven't had a  chance to pick one up yet.  I too am wondering if it's defective?  I kind of think that there should be a fine screen over that nozzle, not just open like that.  Does yours look the same?

12 minutes ago, lindag said:

I've found I have to adjust the temp. In the CSO due to the convection,  Reducing by 25 degrees has worked the best.

Previously my cookies, breads and biscuits were over-browning.

Thanks for your reply.  That was my first thought as well, to reduce the temp.

31 minutes ago, jer_vic said:

Thanks, I will check into that MB reference.  That is relatively new to me as well, so I haven't worked through it all yet.  I've been looking at the L8SKL.  Haven't had a  chance to pick one up yet.  I too am wondering if it's defective?  I kind of think that there should be a fine screen over that nozzle, not just open like that.  Does yours look the same?

Mine is similar but the ring around to hole looks to be white plastic.  Which model CSO do you have?  Mine is 300N.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@Shelby, I know some people are all about the homemade, and I learned from 2 grandmothers how to make them... really good.  But 9 times out of 10, I will still go for the ease and convenience of Pillsbury frozen biscuits.  If I can buy as good or in some instances better items than I can make,   why not? I'll make no apologies:D

• Like 3

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

1 minute ago, caroled said:

@Shelby, I know some people are all about the homemade, and I learned from 2 grandmothers how to make them... really good.  But 9 times out of 10, I will still go for the ease and convenience of Pillsbury frozen biscuits.  If I can buy as good or in some instances better items than I can make,   why not? I'll make no apologies:D

Thank you!  I SO agree.  My husband says they don't taste like homemade and I completely agree--they taste better.  Sigh, but he likes homemade...or maybe he's just being difficult in his old age lol.  

2 minutes ago, caroled said:

That's the way I am by pie crust. The Doughboy makes one that is as good or better than mine.

Besides there's the convenience of cooking just...one...biscuit.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

17 minutes ago, kayb said:

That's the way I am by pie crust. The Doughboy makes one that is as good or better than mine.

Besides there's the convenience of cooking just...one...biscuit.

My grandmothers both taught me pie crust as well, but I never make it,  The doughboy has never failed me yet. 

• Like 1

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

God bless both of you--Kay and Carol--I cannot for the LIFE of me make pie crust.  My Grammy made the best.  I mean the best.  And she showed me and well etc etc. I cannot do it.

I've decided my hands are too hot????

Anyway, yep, doughboy is my man.

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

God bless both of you--Kay and Carol--I cannot for the LIFE of me make pie crust.  My Grammy made the best.  I mean the best.  And she showed me and well etc etc. I cannot do it.

I've decided my hands are too hot????

Anyway, yep, doughboy is my man.

Mama and each still have a doughboy in our kitchen, mine the one I received for my  birthday  when they first hit the market in 71/72? I believe.  He'd  be so sad if I didn't let him handle some of the cooking!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_7908.jpg.34d40425ca36a6037ed9fb0d3fb3b974.jpg

Picked up a couple of these Baker and Salt enameled pans in Homesense the other day - perfect in the CSO. Lasagne. 

I have a small bread pan that I use for lasagne in the CSO.  And now I want some.

• Like 2

On 07/01/2018 at 1:58 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Welcome to eGullet @jer_vic

Forget the "bread" setting.  Follow the method on page 5-297, the one called "Fancy Steam Toaster Oven".  The method seems counter-intuitive but it really works.  Though rather than using the CSO supplied stainless steel pan some of us have been having great success using a Lodge L8SKL cast iron pan.  The L8SKL just fits in the CSO.  On these pages you may see the L8SKL referred to as L-CSO.

I can't help with the dripping steam.  Possibly your unit is defective?

Welcome @jer_vic.  I'm new to the CSO too.  We have the same model.  300N1C.  I'm assuming that you are in Canada.  I've had mine for about 6 weeks now and I have baked quite a few loaves of bread in it.    

I bake on a stone. Just like I would in my regular oven.   I preheat on the convection bake setting, and I bake the bread on the bread setting at 450°F.   If the loaves look like they are browning to quickly, I will turn the oven down to 400° F for the last 5 to 10 minutes.  

I've been really impressed with this oven.   If you look back a few pages to page #25, you can see the first loaf that I baked.  I've also posted photos of other loaves all baked in the CSO.

12 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Welcome @jer_vic.  I'm new to the CSO too.  We have the same model.  300N1C.  I'm assuming that you are in Canada.  I've had mine for about 6 weeks now and I have baked quite a few loaves of bread in it.    

I bake on a stone. Just like I would in my regular oven.   I preheat on the convection bake setting, and I bake the bread on the bread setting at 450°F.   If the loaves look like they are browning to quickly, I will turn the oven down to 400° F for the last 5 to 10 minutes.  

I've been really impressed with this oven.   If you look back a few pages to page #25, you can see the first loaf that I baked.  I've also posted photos of other loaves all baked in the CSO.

Hi Ann, thanks for the welcome and the advice.  Yes, I'm in Canada.  I'm going to try the Lodge L8SKL as my baking stone equivalent, and I will try both the suggested MB technique, and yours (and @lindag) about monitoring/reducing the temp.  I'll check out your bread pics, too.

Have you noticed any water, rather than steam, spitting out of the nozzle on your CSO?

1 hour ago, jer_vic said:

Hi Ann, thanks for the welcome and the advice.  Yes, I'm in Canada.  I'm going to try the Lodge L8SKL as my baking stone equivalent, and I will try both the suggested MB technique, and yours (and @lindag) about monitoring/reducing the temp.  I'll check out your bread pics, too.

Have you noticed any water, rather than steam, spitting out of the nozzle on your CSO?

I haven't noticed, but to be honest I haven't looked.  I will when I use it again later this morning. 

I did a test this morning.  I shaped six small boules from a batch of bread handmixed yesterday morning and put directly into the fridge after the last stretch and fold.    Taken out this morning at 2:30 AM and left on the counter to warm up.  

Three of the Boules were baked in the CSO and three in a Waring Pro countertop oven.   

Both ovens were preheated and the boules were baked on stones. 

The CSO at 450°F and the Waring at 500°F.   

The CSO bread setting steams automatically at the beginning of the bake and I sprayed the loaves in the Waring, three times in the first 10 minutes.

5a54f89082a7a_SmallBoulesJanuary9th2018.thumb.jpg.53d444d9b706bc49c6a4d63231dea07b.jpg

Three in front baked in the CSO and the loaves in the back were baked in the Waring. 

5a54f8769eae0_SmallBoulesCSOandWaringdifference1.thumb.jpg.73bdf49a2deeb7d4d6b08c334188d5ce.jpg

There was an noticeable difference in appearance between the two.  Middle Boule was baked in the Waring.   

5a54f87dbf7ee_SmallBoulesCSOandWaringdifference2.thumb.jpg.59623f7c69fecd7002b965014928e742.jpg

The CSO crust was quite shiny where the Waring (on the right)  crust was duller.  

5a54f89926712_SmallBoulesWaringCrumb.thumb.jpg.27ecb980b4f50aaaa8716609cbdacff6.jpg

The crumb was basically the same.   This one was from the Waring.

5a54f8880a333_SmallBoulesCSOcrumb.thumb.jpg.86f4f1b821f12b0222b2774aaf888ae7.jpg

And this one in the CSO

Both had "shine". 

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 7

14 hours ago, Ann_T said:

I haven't noticed, but to be honest I haven't looked.  I will when I use it again later this morning. 

I did a test this morning.  I shaped six small boules from a batch of bread handmixed yesterday morning and put directly into the fridge after the last stretch and fold.    Taken out this morning at 2:30 AM and left on the counter to warm up.  

Three of the Boules were baked in the CSO and three in a Waring Pro countertop oven.   

Both ovens were preheated and the boules were baked on stones. 

The CSO at 450°F and the Waring at 500°F.   

The CSO bread setting steams automatically at the beginning of the bake and I sprayed the loaves in the Waring, three times in the first 10 minutes.

5a54f89082a7a_SmallBoulesJanuary9th2018.thumb.jpg.53d444d9b706bc49c6a4d63231dea07b.jpg

Three in front baked in the CSO and the loaves in the back were baked in the Waring. 

5a54f8769eae0_SmallBoulesCSOandWaringdifference1.thumb.jpg.73bdf49a2deeb7d4d6b08c334188d5ce.jpg

There was an noticeable difference in appearance between the two.  Middle Boule was baked in the Waring.   

5a54f87dbf7ee_SmallBoulesCSOandWaringdifference2.thumb.jpg.59623f7c69fecd7002b965014928e742.jpg

The CSO crust was quite shiny where the Waring (on the right)  crust was duller.  

5a54f89926712_SmallBoulesWaringCrumb.thumb.jpg.27ecb980b4f50aaaa8716609cbdacff6.jpg

The crumb was basically the same.   This one was from the Waring.

5a54f8880a333_SmallBoulesCSOcrumb.thumb.jpg.86f4f1b821f12b0222b2774aaf888ae7.jpg

And this one in the CSO

Both had "shine". 

@Ann_T have you tried the Modernist Bread CSO method of steam baking the boule at 450 deg F. for the entire thirty minutes?  In my hands at least it gives better results than the CSO "bread" setting.  I have a boule baking as we speak.

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@Ann_T have you tried the Modernist Bread CSO method of steam baking the boule at 450 deg F. for the entire thirty minutes?  In my hands at least it gives better results than the CSO "bread" setting.  I have a boule baking as we speak.

@JoNorvelleWalker, I actually tried it accidentally, not on purpose.  It wasn't until after the bread was baked that I realized I had used the Bake steam setting.  Next batch I will use the Bake Steam setting on purpose to see if I notice a difference.

does anyone know of a decent quality BuntPan that would fit in the CSO ?

@Kim Shook

made a nightly fine looking Pineapple UD cake here :

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/155077-your-daily-sweets-what-are-you-making-and-baking-2017-–/?page=26&tab=comments#comment-2136124

thanks !

Edited by rotuts (log)

7 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

How old is it, Jo? Can't be that old, I don't think.

I've had my CSO just over a year and a half (though it seems much longer).  I was surprised when I just checked, the warranty is three years.