• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

@csingley

Hmmmm. Not quite sure what you're saying here.  Could you expand a little, please. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Sorry Anna.  As a companion to the Cuisinart, I just acquired some commercial grade bamboo steamer baskets... They just fit over a 14" wok, and although the specs were given in traditional Chinese chi, I believe that converts to half a metric shit-ton of steamed product.  Alas no steam bake function.  Off topic I realize; I'll be back on Project Brown Bastard once the jet lag clears.

• Like 2

Experimenting with a little tart pan I found that fits perfectly in the CSO.

Used the hot water pastry from David Lebovitz's blog, made some almond paste, then a  frangiapane . Had no fresh fruit in the house so dug out a few freeze dried peach slices - I should have rehydrated them I think 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Kerry Beal said:

Used the hot water pastry from David Lebovitz's blog, made some almond paste, then a  frangiapane . Had no fresh fruit in the house so dug out a few freeze dried peach slices - I should have rehydrated them I think 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Well, how neat is that!   It looks as though the individual tart pans come out.  Do they? 

That looks like a pan I bought a few years ago.  Does it come with a crust-cutter? 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

58 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Thanks for posting.  Straight convection or steam baked?

The pan is indeed cute; I've just got little individual tart molds, not fluted, without removable bottoms - for Portuguese egg custard tarts.  On the plus side, can fit 8 of them in the Cuisinart.

@Kerry Beal

I just cannot bring myself to click the like button.xD.  Right up until the dehydrated fruit things were looking good.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Cuisinart back in service.  Scrawny half rack of spareribs, rubbed with fish sauce salt, Japanese 7-spice pepper, and a bunch of seeds (cumin, fennel, sesame, black pepper).

Steam baked @ 350degF for 35min, then finished on straight convection 425degF for 15min.

Goo results, but could be tenderer.  Next time I'd like to try steam baking @ 300degF or 250degF for closer to 2 hours.tmp_29945-IMG_20160824_1856181861323516.jpg

• Like 6

Do you know if you put a store rotisserie chicken in the CSO after it's been in the fridge for a day - you can make it just as good as when you brought it home?

• Like 7

IMG_2976.JPG

IMG_2977.JPG

IMG_2978.JPG

IMG_2979.JPG

IMG_2980.JPG

IMG_2981.JPG

Poached a bartlett pear this morning with a bit of port and lemon rind. Used the same hot water tart crust, much thinner this time though (4 tarts last time - 4 tarts and almost a whole tray of tartlets this time), frangiapani, poached pears, then some melted apricot jam. To blind bake I steam baked tarts at 325 for 25 minutes, tartlets for 10 minutes, with frangiapani another 15 minutes for tarts and 10 minutes for tartlets.  

• Like 11

On August 23, 2016 at 10:37 PM, Smithy said:

That looks like a pan I bought a few years ago.  Does it come with a crust-cutter? 

Nope - just the pan - from a thrift store - but it was in the box.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Do you know if you put a store rotisserie chicken in the CSO after it's been in the fridge for a day - you can make it just as good as when you brought it home?

You mean "no worse than when you brought it home"?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, gfweb said:

You mean "no worse than when you brought it home"?

Have you never had a rotisserie chicken from Costco?  The ones I get here at my store are amazingly good, no other can compare.

And, yes, refrigeration  does take its toll.  When served still warm the flavor is infinitely better.  Of course that is not always possible.  Good to know KerryB's trick to reheat.

there are some places have have volume where you can get them right off the spit.

these tend to be much better than the ones 'kept under the lights' for who knows how long.

also : consider the aroma .

oddly, if it smells like Lawry's Seasoned Salt    that's a good svn :

http://www.mccormick.com/lawrys/flavors/spice-blends/seasoned-salt

if you remember what this is like.

I don't think its more complicated than that :   the birds themselves can't matter much :

they are the lowest common denominator.