• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Agreed. I usually just buy a package of 2 but even there, the sizes can be wildly different.

I sure wish I could find a package of two.  Usually it's ten.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 5:42 PM, Kerry Beal said:

425 steam bake 30 min

OK, Kerry, I did that.  Nice compromise but all things considered I think Cuisinart's 300 deg F for 60 minutes took the prize.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm very intrigued by the CSO, I just wish it was bigger—at least big enough for a 9 x 13 cookie sheet (quarter-size sheet pan.)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

3 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I'm very intrigued by the CSO, I just wish it was bigger—at least big enough for a 9 x 13 cookie sheet (quarter-size sheet pan.)

I barely use my oven any more--the CSO is just so handy.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I barely use my oven any more--the CSO is just so handy.

Me too.  It has really changed my kitchen...it is so efficient to use my little oven when it heats so fast.

About the only time I turn on my range oven is when I have a big pizza or a large casserole dish or Dutch oven that won't fit the CSO.

• Like 3

The housemate likes brownies, cookies, and the like, as well as ~12" frozen pizzas—the smoke detector informs him when it's 'done.'

Would stuff like that require multiple batches in the CSO and be a pain in the heiney?

Me? I'm much more flexible.

As I've mentioned in another thread I do intend to never have a kitchen range again when this one goes completely belly-up.

:)

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

16 minutes ago, lindag said:

Me too.  It has really changed my kitchen...it is so efficient to use my little oven when it heats so fast.

About the only time I turn on my range oven is when I have a big pizza or a large casserole dish or Dutch oven that won't fit the CSO.

I did switch my steam baking cauliflower over to the  big oven yesterday after I set off the smoke alarm with my CSO .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

We have a CSO and a Breville Smart oven. Both are great.

BSO is a little bigger and accommodates a 1/4 sheet pan easily.

Great little oven

• Like 2

This lady baked salted chocolate chip cookies in the CSO via the steam function. O.o

What size is the usable part of the baking pan in the CSO?

6 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Me, too. 

My problem is I want it *all*...I want something the size of the Oster french-door countertop oven, with the CSO's steam function and perhaps some added programmability for the occasional time I feel like messing with it. 

...Oh, and I want it to cost $100 Canadian. :P

• Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Just now, chromedome said:

My problem is I want it *all*...I want something the size of the Oster french-door countertop oven, with the CSO's steam function and perhaps some added programmability for the occasional time I feel like messing with it. 

Exactly!!! Why hasn't some manufacturer stepped up to the plate!?

Me too.

I looked into "full sized" steam ovens when we redid the kitchen.  They are expensive and small, mostly. And most aren't plumbed even.

Much better stuff is sold in europe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

The housemate likes brownies, cookies, and the like, as well as ~12" frozen pizzas—the smoke detector informs him when it's 'done.'

Would stuff like that require multiple batches in the CSO and be a pain in the heiney?

I have an 11" diameter pizza screen that fits easily on the wire rack/shelf inside the oven.  My 12" diameter screen is a smidge too large to sit on the rack, it can slide into the grooves in the oven wall that support the shelves and I have used it that way but it's really not stable and can tip from the front or back. 

46 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

What size is the usable part of the baking pan in the CSO

The inside dimensions of the baking tray are ~ 9" x 9.75" so baking an average sized batch of cookies will take multiple batches.  On the other hand,  if you keep some frozen cookie dough on hand,  you can have a few freshly baked cookies in a jiffy.

The other thing to be aware of with respect to the baking tray that comes with the CSO - it's only ~ 1" deep, so not really suitable for something like brownies but they can certainly be baked in 8" or 9" square pans or round cake pans up to 10"

• Like 2

Thanks @blue_dolphin that's very helpful!

:)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

This lady baked salted chocolate chip cookies in the CSO via the steam function. O.o

What size is the usable part of the baking pan in the CSO?

Five cookies at a time! This is why I still rely on my standard oven for cookies. Depending on the cookie I can do 24 at a time.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 7/20/2017 at 11:52 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

From the CSO recipe booklet, whole roasted branzino* p 20.

Thank you, @JoNorvelleWalker, for mentioning this.  I received a gift of locally caught rock cod and various other fishies. They'd been gutted and frozen whole. 

I used the general guidelines from that branzino recipe (steam bake, 425°F) a couple of times now and the fish have been lovely - well cooked and flaky but still very moist.  

Mine were smaller so I didn't need to tie them up and just tucked in some lemon slices and herbs or rubbed on some spices. 

After about an 8 minute cook, they were ~ 155 - 160°F, higher than I would normally go, but there was no sign of dryness at all.  

Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lindag said:

If it helps, I have my CSO in a corner under cabinets.  When I use the steam function I just slide it out to straddle the corner

then push it back when I'm done.

I leave mine under the cabinets all the time.

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I leave mine under the cabinets all the time.

Do you have real wood cabinet bottoms like I do? Even some very expensive newer cabinets have those chip/composite? board bottoms and that stuff will not take moisture for long at all. 

There's a lot a of stuff wrong with my house, but my beautiful real wood cabinets with antiqued brass pulls and hinges sure isn't one of them. It was one of the things that roped and tied me to this place. I still don't think I'd want to be steaming them all the time, though. The humidity is crazy high here anyway, and it just doesn't seem like a very good idea.

How has it worked out for you so far?

> ^ . . ^ <

6 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Do you have real wood cabinet bottoms like I do? Even some very expensive newer cabinets have those chip/composite? board bottoms and that stuff will not take moisture for long at all. 

There's a lot a of stuff wrong with my house, but my beautiful real wood cabinets with antiqued brass pulls and hinges sure isn't one of them. It was one of the things that roped and tied me to this place. I still don't think I'd want to be steaming them all the time, though. The humidity is crazy high here anyway, and it just doesn't seem like a very good idea.

How has it worked out for you so far?

My cabinets are cheap and disgusting.  Some years back my landlord replaced my old and worn, but rather nice cabinets with "new" cabinets that for the most part had been taken from someone else's apartment.  I never knew new cabinets came with stuck on rotted onions preinstalled.

But to answer the question:  I have not seen any deterioration and the CSO is used with steam almost every day.

• Like 1

Today I used a discount coupon to order a Cuisinart steam oven. You all have piqued my curiosity and I want to try it out.  These Forums are getting expensive. LOL  I am afraid to add up all the new stuff I got since I joined here.  For years I would say "if I have lived this long with out one, I don't really need it." I stopped saying that when I first got a KitchenAid mixer.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2