• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

I did 4 turkey breasts in the CSB yesterday as part of the Freezer Clean Out program ,  these came from two frozen TB's about 8 lbs each.

I removed the two tendons from each breast and tied the up.  as you can see I didn't spend a lot of time on the Tie-Up :

TB 1.jpg

both sets looked like this going into the CSB  one has Penzey's Chicago Steak Rub on it and the other two had Sauer's  Prime Rib Rub on them

these are two of my favorite rubs.  Steam-Bake  30 - 35 minutes @ 350 F  I check at 30 with the thermapen , and pull them at bout 135 F.

TB's CSB'd.jpg

decided not to use bacon.   Pale and Flabby you say ?  Moist and Tender I say. 600 gms + for each of them.

Ill cut three in half, and vacuum bag and freeze for later use.  one stays out for now :  sandwiches and a turkey dinner or two

CSB's steam baking rivals SV in a way.  much quicker if you pay attention to the internal temp , as it can easily get away from you

Stock 1 & 2.jpg

the jus on the R is from the two steam-bake's tray   I just combined them for later use.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, rotuts said:

I did 4 turkey breasts in the CSB yesterday as part of the Freezer Clean Out program ,  these came from two frozen TB's about 8 lbs each.

I removed the two tendons from each breast and tied the up.  as you can see I didn't spend a lot of time on the Tie-Up :

TB 1.jpg

both sets looked like this going into the CSB  one has Penzey's Chicago Steak Rub on it and the other two had Sauer's  Prime Rib Rub on them

these are two of my favorite rubs.  Steam-Bake  30 - 35 minutes @ 350 F  I check at 30 with the thermapen , and pull them at bout 135 F.

TB's CSB'd.jpg

decided not to use bacon.   Pale and Flabby you say ?  Moist and Tender I say. 600 gms + for each of them.

Ill cut three in half, and vacuum bag and freeze for later use.  one stays out for now :  sandwiches and a turkey dinner or two

CSB's steam baking rivals SV in a way.  much quicker if you pay attention to the internal temp , as it can easily get away from you

Stock 1 & 2.jpg

the jus on the R is from the two steam-bake's tray   I just combined them for later use.

I hadn't read this until just now--we were twins yesterday!  Well, almost.  We had some turkey quarters in the freezer that needed to be used.  A couple days ago we thawed them out and brined them.  Decided to roast them in the CSO.  I did them at 350F with the intention to pull them at an internal temp of 165F (that's what the manual that came with the CSO suggested).  I went for 45 mins and tested--was a bit over 165F but I wouldn't have known it.  Very very moist and tender.  Kind of like a mini turkey day dinner lol.  I, too, have the jus from the tray to use today when I make stock from the bones.  (the meat looks pink/red due to the brining...I promise it's not raw lol)

Also, I don't have quite as much jus as you do because I used some to make gravy last night.  

photo 1.JPG

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 6

Ive meant for a long time to put a few Sweet Potatoes , the more yellow kind

in the CSB.

I like to leave the skin on , maybe give them a light scrub , and remove any unreasonable defets etc

Ill cut off the tips  

so how long have the Folks w the CSB done whole Sweets  , w skin on , in the CSB ?  

Ill poke a few holes in the SP's just in case

Im looking for a perhaps crunchy skin and a cooked but firm flesh.

many thanks

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

Ive meant for a long time to put a few Sweet Potatoes , the more yellow kind

in the CSB.

I like to leave the skin on , maybe give them a light scrub , and remove any unreasonable defets etc

Ill cut off the tips  

so how long have the Folks w the CSB done whole Sweets  , w skin on , in the CSB ?  

Ill poke a few holes in the SP's just in case

Im looking for a perhaps crunchy skin and a cooked but firm flesh.

many thanks

I don't usually eat sweet potato skins myself, but for the sweet potato I had a couple days ago I steamed at 150 deg F for six hours and steam baked at 350 deg F for just short of two hours.  It was a large one.

No need to cut ends or poke holes in it.  In my opinion.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 1 month later...

Baguettes don't work well for me in the CSO but last night I had an opportunity to try Ciabatta.  As shown in the bread topic:

CiabattaSliced03142017.png

What is relevant to the CSO is I took a sheet of culinary Teflon and cut it to fit the width of the CSO pan with enough length to slightly extend over the pan lip.  This worked very, very well.

But I think I'll have to bake a somewhat smaller loaf next time as can be seen from the overbrowned top.  Did not adversely affect the taste, however.

• Like 4

Yesterday in our travels Anna N and I took my poor injured CSO off to the repair depot. When we arrived the whole staff were outside and there were firetrucks out behind the building. Since we had no marshmallows we decided to attend to our other planned stop and lunch before our return.

I had noticed that there didn't appear to be a fan noise when in convection mode. Apparently the fan was not repairable so I was sent away with a new unit. (so now I have another tray!)

New unit seems to have the default for toast set as 4 instead of the 3 of my previous unit. And on this baby 4 gave me smoke. Repeat piece on 2 was about where my old one would have been on 4. 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I used to subscribe to The Cuisinart Cook, Cuisinart's cooking magazine, or as they called it "the monthly newsletter of the Cuisinart Cooking Club".  One recipe from 1987 found its way into my repertoire:  Dutch Baby Pancake.  In past decades I prepared this often.  Less frequently now that it is only me.

I don't think I'd had it in a year but this afternoon I was in the mood.  Typically I would bake the pancake in a soufflé dish (an option of the recipe) though the primary recommendation is a 9 inch skillet.  The bottom of my seldom used Cuisinart chicken steamer is 9 inch and it fit perfectly in the CSO.  Perhaps you can see where this is going?

The recipe calls for a temperature of 425 deg F. which I reduced to 400 for use with convection bake.  To my great surprise after about 15 minutes the pancake puffed to almost oven filling, not quite reaching the top elements.  At about 20 minutes I decided to turn the dish for even browning.  As soon as I cracked the oven door my creation fell -- flat as, um, a pancake.

It would appear that on convection bake the interior of the CSO is under a slight vacuum.  Should I assay this again I'd leave the door closed for the entire baking time.

• Like 1

I assume C-B has no steam ?

try the steam bake.   I know that's positive pressure.

I used to get  Pleasures of Cooking ,  a Cuisinart publication

I dont recall  Cuisinart Cook

Edited by rotuts (log)

8 hours ago, rotuts said:

I assume C-B has no steam ?

try the steam bake.   I know that's positive pressure.

I used to get  Pleasures of Cooking ,  a Cuisinart publication

I dont recall  Cuisinart Cook

And I had never heard of "Pleasures of Cooking" -- very strange.

As you should well know convection bake has no steam.  I don't think one would wish to steam a cake.  Though I admit I have not tried it.

I'm not very helpful for cooking the yellow (asian korea/japanese) sweet potatoes. I leave the skin and then peel. I cook at 425 steam bake until easy to penetrate with a knife. But the timing will depend on the variety. I like to double cook them. So once they are cool enough to peel, peel them,  wrap with film and once cold, refrigerate, slice from cold and pan fry with oil until nicely caramelized on the outside.

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 3

Re. tops of loaves getting too brown; once the tops are as dark as I want them I have been switching from the bread setting to the warm setting at the max temp of 300F. Only the bottom element heats on the warm setting. I pull the loaves when the desired internal temp is reached. I have only done this with bread in loaf pans as I use my full size oven for other breads. I have also found that periodic rotating and switching helpful for even browning.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cyalexa said:

Re. tops of loaves getting too brown; once the tops are as dark as I want them I have been switching from the bread setting to the warm setting at the max temp of 300F. Only the bottom element heats on the warm setting. 

Good to know, not just for bread but for ensuring a crisp cust on pizza before the toppings burn.

p

• 1 month later...

Shelby, I like the textural look of those everything bagels...Nice crunchy hills and valleys to hold the seasonings...that's a good thing!!

• Like 1

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

51 minutes ago, gfweb said:

@Shelby Those baqles look pretty good to me

25 minutes ago, caroled said:

Shelby, I like the textural look of those everything bagels...Nice crunchy hills and valleys to hold the seasonings...that's a good thing!!

Thanks you two!

I just could not make the dough smooth after shaping them...any "wrinkles" did not leave...they just stayed no matter how much I tried to "smooth" them out. Maybe I should have kneaded it longer or a tad less flour.   A bagel expert, I am not lol.

edited to add--I've only seen bagels that you can buy at a generic grocery store and they always have perfectly smooth tops.  Maybe real NYC bagels are more wrinkly?

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cyalexa said:

Cuisinart is replacing my rusted oven rack.

Oh, my oven rack is rusted too!

12 hours ago, rotuts said:

Cuisinart service via phone on the CSB Ive found to be outstanding.

of note  the Anova Smart Oven  won't be here until summer of ' 18

https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-oven/

I have CSB in my condo and beach house, one spare one in storage just in case.  It works great.  Willing to be open minded about Anova but CSO works great.  

• Like 2

Well I resisted with every fibre of my being but apparently I was sending out some sort of sigbal that I was only kidding about no space for a CSO.  Today one showed up at my house and is now sitting in its box on my dining room table while I stare at my kitchen in dismay and wonder where in the hell I'm going to put it. Ingratitude is not my style  so some how, some way I am going to have to find a place for it to live and thrive. Let the games begin.  I know a few members who will be more than happy to welcome me to the Darkside.   You know who you are

@rotuts and @Shelby among others. 

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog