• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

[Hosts' note: this topic is part of an extended conversation that grew too big for our servers to handle efficiently.  The discussion continues from here.]

I've been searching for the post @Anna N made awhile back about the CSO tomato tart with the insufficiently caramelized onions.  I think it was in this thread but I sure can't find it.

I had half a thought to try the tart for dinner but I've never used frozen puff pastry dough sheets before.

Maybe it's buried in a Manitoulin thread?

Edited by Smithy
Modified hosts' note (log)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

22 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I've been searching for the post @Anna N made awhile back about the CSO tomato tart with the insufficiently caramelized onions.  I think it was in this thread but I sure can't find it.

I had half a thought to try the tart for dinner but I've never used frozen puff pastry dough sheets before.

Maybe it's buried in a Manitoulin thread?

It was Manitoulin indeed:Link

No help with toasting English Muffins?  Anyone?

Edit:  I used black current preserves.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

59 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I generally prefer to broil my English muffins rather than toast them.  So I can't really be very much help although my favourite topping is definitely black currant preserves or jam.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

51 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

How about steam baked vegetables such as radicchio?  To oil or not to oil?

Again, I am not much help. I love radicchio grilled and always oil it. I have never tried it in the CSO.  I think you need some char on it and that is best  done with direct dry heat.  

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thank you.  Tomorrow is another day, though tomatoes are infinite.

Yes it was done in Manitoulin. The recipe is in the booklet that accompanies the CSO.

My 2004 eG Blog

I split the EM's w a fork    then toast maybe on 6 or so and then watch them near the end    very crispy peaks if not a touch of char

I add time if needed

for me  they are crunchy on the top and bottom yet soft in the very middle

to get that same color in the BVXL the whole Em would be dry.

16 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thomas' English Muffins were on sale.  Hence my first experiment with toast in the CSO.  I agree there is an impressive difference.  But I'm not sure that means I like the CSO toast better -- compared to toast from my old (Braun, I think*) toaster.

I tried one muffin on a setting of 4 and it was underdone.  Another muffin I toasted on a setting of 5.  Better, though still flaccid.

Guidance would be welcome.

*I can see the toaster from the bedroom, but I cannot easily reach it to ascertain its provenance.

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

For everything I toast (e.g. bagels, muffins, breads of various provenance), I first toast at 3, turn the product over, and then add increments, starting with 2, until I get the toast browned the way I like it.  I should add most of what I toast starts out frozen, as I usually freeze breads very soon after I get them home.

Every bread product, every thickness, requires an adjustment in my opinion. 

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

9 hours ago, Anna N said:

...although my favourite topping is definitely black currant preserves or jam.

I remembered that!

• Like 1

Chicken was relatively inexpensive at the supermarket the other day. So first chicken in my new home CSO.

IMG_2930.jpg

This morning I made flan - will try to remember to take a picture when I turn it out after dinner.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Kerry Beal 

so your turn is horizontal ?  not a vertical Flip  i.e. Bottoms Up ?

must be nice to have  Basement Chicken

money-mouth.gif

Horizontal indeed.

I'm about to put a chicken thigh and some potatoes in for tonight's repast.  But what about chicken breasts?  Does any one have advice for chicken breasts?  (Other than removing the tendon which I doubt that I shall do.)

Disclaimer:  I want roast chicken breast.  Normally chicken breasts here would simply be anovaed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'm about to put a chicken thigh and some potatoes in for tonight's repast.  But what about chicken breasts?  Does any one have advice for chicken breasts?  (Other than removing the tendon which I doubt that I shall do.)

Disclaimer:  I want roast chicken breast.  Normally chicken breasts here would simply be anovaed.

Friends don't let friends eat chicken breasts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

@ElsieD, we adore chicken wings cooked in the CSO. I'm not sure they are the same as fried wings, but the skin does crisp and the meat stays moist. It's our favourite way of cooking wings now and I make them fairly often. I rub a little bit of olive oil on the wings, spread them out on a foil-lined baking sheet and sprinkle them with salt and pepper. I steam-bake them for about 50 mins at 325 or 350, turning them halfway. I don't usually bother cooking them on a rack, as the oil they release is an enhancement, ha. If there is too much liquid, I remove some at the half way point when I turn them. 

This is not the best picture, but they usually do brown nicely and have crisp skin. it's a very simple way of cooking them and my husband raves about them every time. (Usually, the skin looks browner and crispier.) 

IMGP6199-001.JPG

Edited to add: If I'm in a hurry, I steam-bake at a slightly higher temp for a shorter cook time. Both methods work well, but for some reason I tend to prefer the longer cook time. Sometimes I add a sprinkle or other spices or blends, but the S&P on its own is really good. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 7

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 9:59 AM, FauxPas said:

@ElsieD, we adore chicken wings cooked in the CSO. I'm not sure they are the same as fried wings, but the skin does crisp and the meat stays moist. It's our favourite way of cooking wings now and I make them fairly often. I rub a little bit of olive oil on the wings, spread them out on a foil-lined baking sheet and sprinkle them with salt and pepper. I steam-bake them for about 50 mins at 325 or 350, turning them halfway. I don't usually bother cooking them on a rack, as the oil they release is an enhancement, ha. If there is too much liquid, I remove some at the half way point when I turn them. 

This is not the best picture, but they usually do brown nicely and have crisp skin. it's a very simple way of cooking them and my husband raves about them every time. (Usually, the skin looks browner and crispier.) 

IMGP6199-001.JPG

Edited to add: If I'm in a hurry, I steam-bake at a slightly higher temp for a shorter cook time. Both methods work well, but for some reason I tend to prefer the longer cook time. Sometimes I add a sprinkle or other spices or blends, but the S&P on its own is really good. 

FauxPas

your wings have totally inspired me!  They look really wonderful.  Yesterday while rooting around in my big freezer looking for some ground veal to add to my meatloaf mix, I saw a package of wings in the back.  Now I know what to do with them!!!

• Like 1