• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

I am currently soaking with hot water and liquid dish detergent.  I cannot imagine how I would be able to get a brush to these areas.  

you just can't get a brush there

the tank should have a removable lid, I think

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

I am currently soaking with hot water and liquid dish detergent.  I cannot imagine how I would be able to get a brush to these areas.  

Magnetic scrubber

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Unfortunately lots of the algae is in the little skinny section of the bottom and the scrubber wouldn't go there.  Too bad because it's a great little item!

Mr. Kim came home and is saving the day.  He's ordering a replacement tank.  My hero! 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi:

I made chicken wings last night, 400F steam for 40 minutes.  I let the wings dry out in the fridge for about 8 hours.  The wings were on the baking rack, which was put on top of the upside down baking tray, which sat at the lowest position in the cso. 

No need to turn wings at all, delicious and even all the way around.  No photos, sorry.  Oven is pretty greasy now, oh bother.  No wonder I like doing these in the grill outside instead.

• Like 3

On 10/23/2022 at 9:21 AM, KennethT said:

Has anyone steamed potatoes in teh CSO?  I've been looking to replicate a boiled potato but thought it would be convenient to do the CSO instead.  I was thinking super steam at like 250F or so.  Thoughts?

I've only baked potatoes at 400F.

250  would work since they are cooked at about 190-195. Time would be the variable

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@KennethT 

Id bet there is a way to do it.

your ideas are a good start 

do you mean a pealed potato ?

you might pre-micro the potato for a bit

to post cooking .

not to be contrary 

if you have an iPot 

pressure steam in a basket above the water works well.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Thanks 1

Dusted my CSO off the other day after unplugging it and giving it a long rest after it started feeling ungrounded.  Seems that pulling the water tank before mothballing was not enough to keep it from thoroughly plugging itself up with calcium.  The "Add Water" notification screams whenever it tries to do anything steamy.  I tried filling it with vinegar and citric acid overnight, but no luck getting rid of the problem.  I opened the valve on the back and emptied the reservoir inside and got lots of sandy calcified grit coming out... Looks like it is going to require a Shelby treatment with a bottle brush... or more...  Anybody got odds on it recovering after that? 

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

13 minutes ago, cdh said:

Dusted my CSO off the other day after unplugging it and giving it a long rest after it started feeling ungrounded.  Seems that pulling the water tank before mothballing was not enough to keep it from thoroughly plugging itself up with calcium.  The "Add Water" notification screams whenever it tries to do anything steamy.  I tried filling it with vinegar and citric acid overnight, but no luck getting rid of the problem.  I opened the valve on the back and emptied the reservoir inside and got lots of sandy calcified grit coming out... Looks like it is going to require a Shelby treatment with a bottle brush... or more...  Anybody got odds on it recovering after that? 

Mine did and is still going strong......no harm in trying.  I bet it works after getting the gunk out!

• Like 3

After letting vinegar/citric sit in the water reservoir for a few days, the "add water" screaming has stopped... and it is acting even more funny.  There must be a water leak somewhere past where the calcified blockage was, as the control screen is going nuts, flashing through all of the things that light up.  Need to give it a few days to dry out... and hope its non-wet modes go back to working. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

• 1 month later...

Has anyone cooked polenta or grits in their CSO? I have been using it for rice and will probably use a similar technique but would be pleased to hear from others about their experience.

• 1 month later...

Long time lurking but now I would like some help on my well used but babied CSO. The steam function is no longer working like it should. It basically spitting water out of the spout instead of nice thick steam. What I noticed is chunks of white grain. I assumed this is calcium deposit. This is my 2nd unit. The first unit also experienced the same thing, I used the same de-calcifying solution I used in my espresso machine but it did not seem to do much. If anything, I think it may have damaged the boiler unit. I was seeing greyish bits spewing out.

Anyway, I like to hear from everyone what would be the best before I attempt to decalcify it again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hieppo said:

Long time lurking but now I would like some help on my well used but babied CSO. The steam function is no longer working like it should. It basically spitting water out of the spout instead of nice thick steam. What I noticed is chunks of white grain. I assumed this is calcium deposit. This is my 2nd unit. The first unit also experienced the same thing, I used the same de-calcifying solution I used in my espresso machine but it did not seem to do much. If anything, I think it may have damaged the boiler unit. I was seeing greyish bits spewing out.

Anyway, I like to hear from everyone what would be the best before I attempt to decalcify it again.

This may help...

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/164022-how-to-disassemble-and-clean-the-cuisinart-steam-oven-tubing-link-to-helpful-post/

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

34 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thanks for the link. I did already read that post and my tubing is not clogged. Water is able to drain from the water container and into the boiler without any issue. It is when it heats up and supposedly sends the steam out of the nozzle and into the oven that water gets shot out instead of thick steam.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2022 at 11:30 AM, cdh said:

After letting vinegar/citric sit in the water reservoir for a few days, the "add water" screaming has stopped... and it is acting even more funny.  There must be a water leak somewhere past where the calcified blockage was, as the control screen is going nuts, flashing through all of the things that light up.  Need to give it a few days to dry out... and hope its non-wet modes go back to working. 

Did that fix it?

50 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Most importantly,

"Is Discontinued By Manufacturer No"

I hate to be the bad news person, but the Cuis. website says it is discontinued.  Maybe a newer model isn't?